Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking Ahead

Beginner

Icon1 Looking Ahead

Hullo kids,

A little preface first: I played a spearman to level 6x way back when on Maplestory (v .5x I believe) but gave it up because we only had one computer in the house and it was more fun to play games with my brother. I built a computer about a year ago and moved away for my first year of college back in August. My parents also upgraded the piece of junk computer that we were using up until then. Now that my brother and I can play MS together (as we've always wanted to, and it doubles as a hilarious way to stay in touch) we've been giving Fighters a go.

We chose Fighters because we intend to reach level 200 and wanted an amazing damage output for "Duo-Soloing". We play mostly together (we both just recently hit level 90 after about a month of playing) and we're curious about how the endgame should look for us. Mainly, the questions are in terms of equipment:

From what I remember it was better to use a two-handed sword for DPS until you could afford a christ-like attack shield and a one-handed sword to match. Does this still hold true? If not I'm assuming we should look into the Stonetooth or some amazing Timeless equipment. Along those lines: Are attack-scrolled Work Gloves still the way to go? Or should we look for 3-lined %(str) or %(dmg) gloves? I've heard both ways and getting confirmation on one or the other would be much appreciated.

Next up: Could somebody please give me a basic breakdown on what "Cubing" is? I hear the term thrown around all the time in regards to "Godly Equipment" but I'm lost as to what it entails.

Finally, an admittedly goofy question: We just got our hogs and they're hilariously fun/adorable. Will we have to trade them in for the silver mane? Or can we have both?

Thanks in advance for the help, I'll post more questions as they come to mind.

~Seii

We're in a heap o'trouble Tesiqurasa's Avatar

It's hard to answer these since so many variables are involved, but you guys set a very end-game goal, so I'll speak in terms of late-game at the least.

1. You are correct, especially since you can easily reach the dex required with <23 base (egged HTPs beat MoNs now since MoNs can't be potentialed). If you can equip a Night Raven Wing or Stonetooth without bringing your base dex above 23, it will be hard to beat a 2h sword.
    2. You'll want scrolled 3 line warrior gloves lvl 71+. You can only get %damage/crit/attack/etc on weapons, but you can still get %str on gloves. Shoot for about 14 attack 3 line lvl 80-120 gloves (top tier, perfectly 60%ed and hammered). Obviously, if you get something like 12 att 3 line, that will be fine as well, and if you get the chance to beat 14 attack, go for it.
    3. To understand cubing, you need to understand how potential items work. When you get an item, it can have hidden potential (or you can use special scrolls to make an item potential). Once it is potential, you can unhide it to get extra stats. It will either have 2 or 3 lines, and that will never change.

The item "tiers" are as follows:
    <30, 31-70, 71-120, 121+. This means that the best warrior armor will start at level 80 (that's the first armor since 71). The only warrior weapons 121+ are VIP Swords/axes/blunt weapons, and if you can get one of these, it's obviously going to top a normal sword. The Swords are close to max meso unpotential. Landing a 3 line is going to require a ton of luck or an obscene amount of mesos. That said, I'm going to exclude these when I discuss your pot weapons.

When you first unhide an item, it can either be 2 or 3 line (like I said earlier), and it can be Rare, Epic, or Unique. Rare is the worst, and Unique is the best. The stats that are given are completely random, but it's most common to start at rare. I seem to start at Epic about 10% of the time, and Unique seems to be around 1%. Cubing resets the item to a hidden state. You can cube an item as many times as you want. The selling point to this is that an item cannot move down in lines or "value". If you have an Epic 3 line item, it will NEVER go below Epic 3 line, even if you reset it with cubes. You can move from Rare to Epic to Unique, but you cannot move from 2 to 3 line. Generally the first line and 3rd line are the best, while the 2nd line is a step below.

You usually want to get a potential 3 line item before you start scrolling. So, if you're looking to scroll some warrior gloves, buy or make a bunch of 3 line lvl 80+ gloves, then spam scrolls on them. If you come out well, you can continue cubing it to get the stats you want and won't have to worry.

This ties back to shields. If you can get a decently scrolled 3 line attack shield (let's say about 12 attack), that will beat a 2h sword.

Even if you just go for %str on the first line of each item (getting %str on 2-3 lines of every item is very expensive), and a good stat on weapon (%crit, %damage, %boss damage, %attack, etc), you'll be very VERY powerful warriors. Only focus heavily on scrolling for attack. Don't fret too much if you don't come out with a godly scrolled str top. Invest your time and money in cubing and scrolling for attack.

Spoiler!

It might also be noted that skills obtained from potentials don't particularly follow the tier system. Hyper Body pants can be obtained on level 70+ pants (Platine set included), and Sharp Eyes can be gained on level 120 gloves (i.e. Reverse or Timeless).

And I believe you have to trade in your hogs.

Beginner

@Tesi: Thank you for making that all make sense so quickly, works a lot better than random kids screaming it at me xD

@Dip: Thank you for the confirmation, and in that case I think I'm going to stick with Captain Bacon. He treats me well.

I guess next up are the training questions: Is there a solid spot to get to 95 that isn't mp3? I know it probably won't be as fast, but it's quite a pain to find a map that isn't either being farmed by a dominant mobbing class or hacked. After hitting 95 I believe we'll stand a way better chance there dealing with the Slimies.

As for the Crusader skill build we've maxed Combo and Brandish, and have one point into Shout. What should we do next? I was thinking we'd max Shout (for the stun) and then do Chance Attack for the extra damage.

Lastly the little exciting part: Can I get some basic bossing info? Such as: A reasonable level for Pianus, Pap and Zakum (assuming we're with a party for Zakum), which attacks or situations to watch out for and what kind of pots are absolutely necessary.

Once again, thanks in advance!

~Seii

1. Basically anything around your level with a decent spawn will be fine training. Obviously, some places (like MP3) will be faster, but it won't be impossible to skip those. Duoing Vikerola or Gallopera in Malaysia would probably be decent alternatives since the maps are set up for small parties.

2. I haven't played a Crusader after BB, but from my experiences with the other classes, I would suggest a combination of Shout, Chance Attack, and Coma.

3. You won't want to duo zak early on, but doing Zak Arm runs will be great exp. You can do that twice a day, and the same goes for Pap. Zak is lvl 110, but I still suggest waiting until early 4th job to do it. Pap is 125, but I started killing that twice a day at 121. Bossing is incredible exp in early 4th job, and Heros will be great against multi targets like Zak Arms. Generally use Honsters for potting (60% hp), and Sorcerer Elixirs for MP. I often feel lazy and just use Ginger Ales (75% for both). Any % pot that gives HP will be great for a warrior. You'll want all cures at Zakum and Pianus, and you'll want to watch out for dispel and stun when fighting pap.

Spoiler!

At 95 I was at Himes (kinda my own personal revenge) and Homunculus. This was before the Singapore change, so Homunculus was fairly crowded. However, I believe the crowds should have moved away from Homunculus. Both are small flat maps with high spawn, and would work relatively well (They did for me and my crappy range at least). At MP3 and Ghost Ship you'll always have a certain miss rate; whether it's a glitch or intended I don't know, but it's not a big deal.

I can't help with the last two questions, I've never played a Sader and I've only ever fought Pianus. Even then it doesn't count, I just walk into it every time it's about to cast something, and Blood Boom are Fire Immune. But I'll warn you now, Pianus is a pain to find.

Double DrK would probably be better almost anywhere now.

bolt202/veil225/feint200

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Tesiqurasa View Post
    2. I haven't played a Crusader after BB, but from my experiences with the other classes, I would suggest a combination of Shout, Chance Attack, and Coma.
    Brandish bro.

He's already done Br and Combo

Spoiler!

Beginner

Thanks again!

I've managed to find some grind spots here and there. Admittedly I don't have the world's best attention span, but I do what I can (currently 92). Skill-wise I have Brandish, Combo and Coma maxed. I'll finish out Shout, max Chance Attack and then Panic (If anybody has a better suggestion I'm gladly open to it). I believe my brother is jumping right into Panic because he wants to see massive 1v1 damage xD

The few other questions I could cook up deal with the fourth job: How do I go about making the advancement? I couldn't find a really solid Post-BB guide and I'd really like to be sure. Also: When the advancement is made, which skills will I have in the skillbook already? And which will I have to hunt for? I believe that you get 3 points for the advancement, so I'm assuming 1 into Rush, 1 into Magnet, and then start on Combo (For superior damage). This is the build I have planned so far (input appreciated!).

+1 Rush, +1 Magnet, +1 Adv. Combo
    All into Adv. Combo until 10 orbs are possible
    Max Intrepid Slash
    Finish Combo
    Max Enrage (I <3 big numbers)
    Max Power Stance
    Max Combat Mastery
    Max Maple Warrior <--- Saving for later on the assumption that someone else will have it maxed. We started a guild yesterday and we're pulling people in for bossing.
    ???

Once again, all input and advice is welcome!
    Thanks in advance!

~Seii