Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Virus and system restore

Default Virus and system restore

So i got on my computer today to find that my background has been changed with a message saying something along the line of "your're computer has been infect, remove spyware, protect yourself your boss, your kids, etc...". and by the way it really was spelled as "your're" with the typo. i also had a tiny icon that looked like a lock on a lock that was supposedly an anti virus scan saying i had 2X+ viruses, bit the program box seemed kind of off or fake. and that fake computer scan actually came up the other day so i have avast do a full system scan which turned up nothing while that fake hing said i had like 2X+ virus.

i didnt go on any websites yesterday that i normally don't go on. i didnt even download anything yesterday, except the was a windows update which i think might have been it, i heard theres some fake windows updates. anyways i couldnt get malware byte to open, or avast.

i ended up doing a system restore to a save point about a week ago.

im on my laptop right now, and i checked my online bank and it seems like it hasnt been tampered with.

well my desktop is back up restored to a week ago. does this help? or will the virus still be there? my background is back to normal at least.

also is there anything better than malware byte/avast thats free? cause they didnt seem to catch the virus, nor were they able to do anything after the fact.

anyways long story short: i did a system restore to last week, am i safe for now?
    Last edited by zigkid3; 17th February 2011 at 07:10 AM.

Did someone use your computer previously, as long as you system restore whoops i mean completely restoring your comp like there is usually a disc when you first buy the computer. Use it and you will be fine, which is why i always set windows update to tell me what it is downloading on my computer. If i see if it's safe, i let it download. Don't let it download automatically because there may be somethings that may harm your computer
    Last edited by kaglover1; 17th February 2011 at 08:41 AM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by zigkid3 View Post
    So i got on my computer today to find that my background has been changed with a message saying something along the line of "your're computer has been infect, remove spyware, protect yourself your boss, your kids, etc...". and by the way it really was spelled as "your're" with the typo. i also had a tiny icon that looked like a lock on a lock that was supposedly an anti virus scan saying i had 2X+ viruses, bit the program box seemed kind of off or fake. and that fake computer scan actually came up the other day so i have avast do a full system scan which turned up nothing while that fake hing said i had like 2X+ virus.

i didnt go on any websites yesterday that i normally don't go on. i didnt even download anything yesterday, except the was a windows update which i think might have been it, i heard theres some fake windows updates. anyways i couldnt get malware byte to open, or avast.

i ended up doing a system restore to a save point about a week ago.

im on my laptop right now, and i checked my online bank and it seems like it hasnt been tampered with.

well my desktop is back up restored to a week ago. does this help? or will the virus still be there? my background is back to normal at least.

also is there anything better than malware byte/avast thats free? cause they didnt seem to catch the virus, nor were they able to do anything after the fact.

anyways long story short: i did a system restore to last week, am i safe for now?
    System restore is only solving the problem temporarily. It's still going to be in the HDD somehow. I'd recommend a full reinstallation, since god knows what the hell that thing you got can do.

Never take risks especially on computer safety.

Quote Originally Posted by Falkner View Post
    System restore is only solving the problem temporarily. It's still going to be in the HDD somehow. I'd recommend a full reinstallation, since god knows what the hell that thing you got can do.

Never take risks especially on computer safety.
    well after i system restored i tried malware byte and avast and they didnt find anything on a full system scan

System Restore will revert system files to their previous state, but the virus files might still be on your computer somewhere. Avast works great only if you set up the scan and real-time settings properly (I used to use MalwareBytes but stopped when Avast picked everything it picked up). It could also be a rootkit install, but there's a built in rootkit scanner for Avast. Also, Spybot S&D's real time registry monitoring tool is great for shutting down viruses that try to get on your machine.

i downloaded the spybot s&d. it found like 7 things that malware byte and avast didnt detect. i swear i think at some point they just automatically stop finding stuff until you buy it once the trial ends or w/e.

wtf now i just got the same virus on my laptop right now! again i didnt do anything i dont normally do. and i didnt download anything either. what the heck! is this virus some new epidemic going around or what? again it changed my background and keps showing this fake system tool "remove" spyware thing.

p.s. posting from the laptop so keep an eye on my account for a bit incase it starts spamming or something. i haven had any problems as of yet from my desktop computer or any online accounts although it did say i logged on to facebook from NY, but i changed my facebook password, and it seems nothing was tampered with on facebook either.
    Last edited by zigkid3; 20th February 2011 at 06:09 PM.

Banned

like nos said, it's most likely embedded into your system via a root-kit. Just clean format the computer.

but, now my laptop got it too. like what the hell.

and how do i go about clean formating? will i lose everything on my computer, and have to redownload everything?
    Last edited by zigkid3; 21st February 2011 at 06:57 AM.

My brother was hit with the same exact problem, and he let it go for 2 days while we were gone. When we came back, some "dll" file was corrupt, or so it said. It didn't let him execute Firefox, Calculator, Disk Defrag, and External devices, ANYTHING. The brother whom I am speaking of is known as "Zetro", on here. We reformatted his PC, because the virus didn't let him execute System restore. Keep in mind, he hadn't touched his Laptop since about...a week before the Virus hit.