View Poll Results: Well, do ya' punk?

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sometimes I think so, and my power is...

1 9.09%
  • I'm open to new ideas, but never done this.

0 0%
  • Bah, nonsense.

7 63.64%
  • Burn the witch!

3 27.27%
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Spiritual Powers

Always the Bridesmaid... bulmabriefs144's Avatar

Default Spiritual Powers

Since I was a kid, I was a pretty weird one. I got weirder as time went by, I'm afraid to admit.

My dad was a priest, and thanks in part to heavy anime culture and study of Shinto religion, I got the notion that spiritual powers exist. The rationale goes something like this:

• A person's soul is effectively their life force and their personality.
    • This can sometimes manifest itself as chi, energy which conducts itself through the body (probably if I had to guess, I'd say it uses up some of the food energy, but I'm not really sure, because I'm not a scientist. All I know is that when I apparently use chi I feel a tingly sensation in my hands and feet, and do not thereafter have a heart attack, as is the usual result of that sorta feeling)
    • Since the soul is based on personality and life force, if it does truly exist, spiritual power would logically vary from person to person.

So, yeah, maybe I've read too many books. But I can't be talked out of what I feel, because I've seen myself do too many freaky things, so stuff it.

If I had to boil it down into one word, I'd say my powers are not related to exorcism, healing, or ESP. I have what I'd call Affinity. It's sorta like this, I have sorta super animal-magnetism, most dogs and stuff I just meet start following me around. Not just that, I've been able to pick up bees and hornets and move them outside without being stung (I can't do this with spiders, as they creep me out, and thus no affinity). I used to be able to sorta sense where people are from a sorta feeling I got of them, and one time at a fall festival in school I found out where a girl was when she was on the other side of the school (I stopped doing this so much after that, cause it was creepy and ummm stalkerish ). I can usually quickly figure out what's wrong with computers. Oh yea, and cheap trick: If a radio tune is getting staticed up or another station is taking over, I can sometimes get it to switch to the original song. The reason I call it Affinity, is the stronger the bond, the more this works (like with the last, if I really like the song, it'll last for quite a few miles before it dies, usually ending first).

Anyone else do something they can't explain? (And who thinks I'm a crackpot loser/ evil wizard who must BURN for telling this?)
    Last edited by bulmabriefs144; 12th March 2011 at 03:06 PM.

Don't have a custom title so this space will have to do

I once arbitrarily sat in seat number #179 in an auditorium of a thousand seats. That was cool.

Click the above free music i am so artist
    Spoiler!

(Ummm, I'd have to ask the significance of 179. Is it prime or something? ...Looks at who's posting)

Ohhhh...

Was this after your account was set up, then?

Quote Originally Posted by bulmabriefs144 View Post
    (Ummm, I'd have to ask the significance of 179. Is it prime or something? ...Looks at who's posting)

Ohhhh...

Was this after your account was set up, then?
    Oh, I've used 179 for usernames everywhere since I was ten or so. I forget why. And I've seen the number 179 pop up in various places (randomly printed on the back of one of my favorite books, seen it mentioned in movies, I weighed 179 pounds for the last year though I've gotten fatter taller since then).

But I don't think there's any mystical powers at work; It just goes to show you how bombarded we are with numbers and information that if you choose a random scrap of data and attach meaning to it you begin to notice it everywhere.

I mean, no offense, but people do tend to attribute mystical powers to stuff that seems unusual to them. Humans hate having things unexplained. That's where myths/legends/stuff like that come from, and that seems to me what you're doing here.

Finally, (I can't resist, sorry, sorry, sorry)
    Last edited by OneSevenNine; 12th March 2011 at 03:58 PM.

Spoiler!

I got hungry tonight, and went downstairs. I wanted sardines, but I was feeling like ones with green chiles. Reached into a dark cabinet and pulled them right out.

It sounds like you have something going for you called a number fixation. That the universe keeps supplying you with it however is bizarre.

Quote Originally Posted by bulmabriefs144 View Post
    It sounds like you have something going for you called a number fixation. That the universe keeps supplying you with it however is bizarre.
    It's only happened maybe six or seven times. We're exposed to dozens and dozens of numbers every day so there's really no surprise there.

Spoiler!

You should really post these 'freaky' things you've seen yourself do (strange you didn't feel them) so I can rationally explain them and why you are crazy.

That animal affinity thing, it's not a super power, animals are much better at reading emotions and body language than humans because they are forced to to understand us. Most dogs can tell if you're a dog person, have you heard the various expressions basically stating that animals can see the true character of a man?

I used to be able to sorta sense where people are from a sorta feeling I got of them, and one time at a fall festival in school I found out where a girl was when she was on the other side of the school
    Coincidence, happens often.
    I can usually quickly figure out what's wrong with computers.
    Oh wow, like that's hard.
    Something wrong->Google it->Answer On Google? Follow instructions->Still broken?->Google again->No answer on google? ->Google related forum, post question.

Oh yea, and cheap trick: If a radio tune is getting staticed up or another station is taking over, I can sometimes get it to switch to the original song.
    Oh my, that right there is amazing. Such a cheap trick, you shouldn't abuse your powers in such a way.

--
    You're not a crackpot loser who must BURN, it's just that you're like the hundreds of other weirdos in high school who think there's some special force behind everything, your strong brainwashing while growing up probably led you to be very easily persuaded by stupid ideas of the supernatural.
    Gone with the wind

My post count is frozen. Megadeus's Avatar

Sometimes the brain just likes to piece together coincidences and say that there's something behind them. Like how people thought there was that "face" on mars - bricks were shat but once a clearer, less shadowy image of it was seen, it was just a bland old plateau/mesa/huge flat rock. Then there's how we see faces in objects: a series of random shapes coincidentally in places that would make our brains piece them as a "face". Our brains just naturally have a need to find order and patterns into things. It could be the (one of many) reason(s) superstition(s) exist.
    I'm sorry bulma, but I'd wager $100 dollars that if we did a scientific study of you handling mildly dangerous animals in a sample size of over 30, then at the least the statistical inferences would disprove this "spiritual powers" if the immediate numbers don't prove it wrong. Are you sure you're not withholding from (us and your own memory) all the times this "Affinity" has failed you? You do know that our brains do tend to make us forget negative experiences as a way to protect ourselves.

If I sound like I'm trying to come off as some sort of psychology expert, I'll say I'm not. This is all various bits I remember from an introductory psychology class as well as scientific stuff that floats around.

I kinda got thrown for a confusion when I read "priest" "Shinto" and then "Chi". Decide which country this is coming from already.
    Secondly, what's the point in making this a public poll? Are you keeping tabs on people?
    Well isn't that interesting?
    What's this? You bothered to highlight my sig?You're very bored then, aren't you? Ha. Ha. Ha.

Hubris is bad.

stop trying

I get a short line every single time I go out for fast food. And then I look behind me and there's like 500 people in line.

You can't explain that ****. Check and mate. I'm a wizard.