Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Members of Hidden-Street guilds

We're in a heap o'trouble Tesiqurasa's Avatar

I guess I'll just continue the thing here, as to not derail the guild post further

Quote Originally Posted by omarXRanger View Post
    Saph's response was to HS forum as a whole I believe, not just to the previous posts in this thread. He is just getting annoyed with the direction the forum is going. His choice to stay out of the community as it is mine to try and adapt to it. He may have been a little strong but he is at least trying to point out his own opinion of the people who keep posting about how a majority of the members don't post. He's getting annoyed with it and honestly so am I. If they don't want to post there's no point in poking at them and pointing them out as not real members. They are good people.

And there's not many real topics in the Maple section for discussion. Kind of a discouraging thing if you want to help.
    I think a lot of active HS members are also annoyed that there is a huge group of great Maplers who use the name "hidden-street", but basically ignore the forum. The silence or neglect can be seen to be just as harsh as concrete insult, at least to me. It's even worse when they complain about the quality of community (or use it as an excuse), but do nothing to change it. HSBera and HSWindia have huge communities filled with a variety of players. I'm guessing that they'd easily double (if not triple) the active posters in the Maple section. How is that not enough to put forth some real change to the community? Rather they like it or not, they are united under HS, and it really does feel like a slap in the face to people who are active on the forum.

We really do need more active members right now; the same ~half dozen won't always be able to give the most thorough and correct information. It's gotten to the point that starting a more advanced conversation is pretty much impossible since there are only a handful of great players. With such a limited pool, of course it's going to decline. Newer members get mediocre response, and they aren't really encouraged to continue posting. Any argument, analysis, or discussion is over within a few posts. If the community really is declining, then stand up and do something about it. Sitting back seems like a pretty insulting move.

So long as they unite under the title of "hiddenstreet", I think it's justified that they be poked into activity on a semi-regular basis. Pointing them out as "false" members is a different story...that's obviously not going to accomplish anything. If they were in some other random guild, I'd still love to see them actively post, but it would not be the same.

tl;dr
    It really does feel like an insult when I see great players, active under HiddenStreet, basically ignoring the forum when it most needs them.

Spoiler!

There's a point to where you can change things and then there's the point where you see that you can't change it and don't try before you end up making a fool of yourself. This community has a few members that would flame others for posting one thing that seems wrong. It's discouraging. Other members in Bera HS have told me that they don't want to post here because they fear getting flamed or insulted. I don't want to force people to post but I do try to encourage people into it. It's not like I want this forum to die. I love HiddenStreet with all of my heart. Truly though, it's give and take. If you want more good members you need to be more open, accepting, and not intimidating. Give new members a chance to grow into it. This stuff doesn't happen right away. It's not like everyone knows your little memes or whatever. People misinterpret things on the internet pretty easily.

Before you go to anything saying it's their responsibility to become part of the community since they rally under the name HiddenStreet, it's also the responsibility of everyone in this forum to make HiddenStreet a thread that people can move into easily and grow to love. I avoided this forum so much and only stayed in the Orbis Station and truly adapting to you guys was difficult. You all had your own little jokes and it was hard trying to learn about all of that but after a while I can sort of feel like a part of the forum. I'm still taking my time moving in to this community fully. Rushing into what this forum is now is like trying to jump over a 100 foot pit of fire.
    Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Quote Originally Posted by kaglover1 View Post
    But now I'm like screw that, I'm skipping to the part where Bella finally combines with Edward

I think I would understand that if it was just a small group of people, especially since some members will point out inactivity in normal posts *recent level up thread posts*. That's a huge community though(at least it seems that way from the SS). There seem to only be 2-3 cliques (Maplers, Chatbox, Tomato Island) outside guild threads, but I think that's mainly because there are only a few active members. Eventually the cliques kind of merge, and it becomes more of a community. If the two major HS guilds took some convos to the forum (beyond Orbis Station), they could easily form another few cliques, and hopefully merge back into normal, active posting.

I was excited when I saw Thor post his level up in the level up thread (and kind of frustrated when everyone piled on anyway). Even if you guys just started posting boss runs and level ups in those threads, it would be a greatly appreciated gesture. Hell, most of the time members will respond to the SS within the guild threads anyway, so it's not really staying away from the community. Just from lurking, it's obvious that you guys are willing to have public convos about the SS, so why not just move them to the SS sections?

Spoiler!

To at least spread out to the screenshot section of HiddenStreet for the occasional boss run isn't a bad idea. I just don't want it to end up like Thorr's level up screenshot.
    Spoiler!

Spoiler!

But now I'm like screw that, I'm skipping to the part where Bella finally combines with Edward

Banned

There's a point to where you can change things and then there's the point where you see that you can't change it and don't try before you end up making a fool of yourself. This community has a few members that would flame others for posting one thing that seems wrong. It's discouraging. Other members in Bera HS have told me that they don't want to post here because they fear getting flamed or insulted. I don't want to force people to post but I do try to encourage people into it. It's not like I want this forum to die. I love HiddenStreet with all of my heart. Truly though, it's give and take. If you want more good members you need to be more open, accepting, and not intimidating. Give new members a chance to grow into it. This stuff doesn't happen right away. It's not like everyone knows your little memes or whatever. People misinterpret things on the internet pretty easily.

Before you go to anything saying it's their responsibility to become part of the community since they rally under the name HiddenStreet, it's also the responsibility of everyone in this forum to make HiddenStreet a thread that people can move into easily and grow to love. I avoided this forum so much and only stayed in the Orbis Station and truly adapting to you guys was difficult. You all had your own little jokes and it was hard trying to learn about all of that but after a while I can sort of feel like a part of the forum. I'm still taking my time moving in to this community fully. Rushing into what this forum is now is like trying to jump over a 100 foot pit of fire.
    If they're so afraid, then why the hell are they even under a HS guild? If they're not going to try, they might as well not try HS instead. For ****'s sakes, look at how SW.net is yet people still register there.

edit: As for Thorr's SS, I really didn't care about how elitist he was, but rather congratulatory of his accomplishment. All I really asked was why he was quitting.

That would be so great if you could do it! Like I said in the chatbox, it's inspiring to see HSers take down real bosses, especially when it's done as a guild.

Spoiler!

Quote Originally Posted by Falkner View Post
    If they're so afraid, then why the hell are they even under a HS guild? If they're not going to try, they might as well not try HS instead. For ****'s sakes, look at how SW.net is yet people still register there.

edit: As for Thorr's SS, I really didn't care about how elitist he was, but rather congratulatory of his accomplishment. All I really asked was why he was quitting.
    They're just in a guild. This is just a forum. You are all more mature than those at SW.net but it doesn't mean you're nicer. At least try to go easier on the freakin newbies. It's not like they automatically know what to say and when to say it.
    Spoiler!

Spoiler!

They're just in a guild. This is just a forum. You are all more mature than those at SW.net but it doesn't mean you're nicer. At least try to go easier on the freakin newbies. It's not like they automatically know what to say and when to say it.
    This
    I'll definitely try to be more sensitive with that info in mind if you guys are willing to try to be active as well.

Spoiler!

Banned

Will keep in mind.

If it actually means anything I was intimidated when I first joined, since I gave the forums a once over before signing up. It was pretty awkward to adjust and I ended up leaving for a few months right off. I imagine the folks of Bera HS, and my fellow members of HS Bellocan feel the same way. If we're not going to make it open to them, why force them in?