Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Inconsistencies

Quote Originally Posted by ClericLordLeo View Post
    I'd say necroing is better because then we won't flood the forum with same topics.
    Never have been a concern.
    Quote Originally Posted by rasudoken View Post
    Necro'ing also adds excitement and allows us to see what kind of posts we made in the past and stuff (assuming we posted in the necro'ed thread).
    And it also adds confusion for people who have never seen the thread pop up all the way at the top of the list.
    Quote Originally Posted by FailFTW View Post
    Yes. Normally mods don't care if the post that necro'd is on topic, and in the case of the ice cream thread, the necro and the subsequent posts were on topic, so I don't know why NOS locked the thread.
    I don't see the problem with creating a new thread instead of reviving one that's already dead.
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixRider View Post
    Duplicated threads always end the same way as the ice cream one, either complaining about a necro or that it's a remake.
    Putting NEW in the thread title seems to be a good fix in deterring posts that complain about a thread being remade. Case in point: the stickied anime and pictures thread

If anyone asks:

IT WASN'T ME!

ε=ε=ε=┌(;*´Д`)ノ

iz ok ddrgn

I really think it doesn't matter, so long as the person necroed it for a good purpose, like as an actual attempt to revive the thread, not those random newbies wandering in going "mm i really agree yeah" and ignore the date.

But actually, the argument is more of where the line lies with good reasoning/purpose for necro. Remaking a thread over and over again is stupid. I enjoy reading past posts.
    Holiday goals : Reach level 70 on my Dual Blader l Work on Compression and Destiny Defied l Find what i've always been looking for. l Open a new door and start anew. l Break HIM. l
    Complete - Green.
    Working on it - Purple.
    Hiatus - Red.

Hatred of you is what drives me, and i'll take solace in breaking your mind. I swear i will to whatever gods there may be, even if it's the last thing i do.

A Crusader's Guide.
    Story : Destiny Defied.
    Idea Compilation : Compression.

I necro all the time in the gaming section. It's because they announce something, then a thread goes up and like 5-10 people post. Then it dies, and they actually release it or update it with more news, and so someone goes and revives it with the updated info.

Better than making 5 different threads on one topic.

bolt202/veil225/feint200

I support thread necromancy.
    Mudkip 66 Lann

We're in a heap o'trouble Tesiqurasa's Avatar

Eh, I don't think Necroing is really bad unless it's done to purposely upset the forum or unknowingly add useless information. Can't really see a problem with the ice cream thread though. There weren't any "omg necro" posts, and everyone just seemed to jump back on the conversation at hand. At worst, it was mindless lulz in the correct section. I don't see why making a brand new thread on the exact same topic would be any better.

Necroing JUST to necro is dumb. There should be more reasoning behind it.
    Locking a necro JUST to lock a necro is just as dumb. There should be more reasoning behind it.

Spoiler!

Quote Originally Posted by emailbox View Post
    I necro all the time in the gaming section. It's because they announce something, then a thread goes up and like 5-10 people post. Then it dies, and they actually release it or update it with more news, and so someone goes and revives it with the updated info.

Better than making 5 different threads on one topic.
    Posting in an old thread about game updates, patches, news, and such is fine because it follows the flow of the tread as time progresses, but something as general as creating a new thread to your favorite ice cream flavor can just as easily be done without breaking the flow of things.

Quote Originally Posted by Tesiqurasa View Post
    Eh, I don't think Necroing is really bad unless it's done to purposely upset the forum or unknowingly add useless information. Can't really see a problem with the ice cream thread though. There weren't any "omg necro" posts, and everyone just seemed to jump back on the conversation at hand. At worst, it was mindless lulz in the correct section. I don't see why making a brand new thread on the exact same topic would be any better.

Necroing JUST to necro is dumb. There should be more reasoning behind it.
    Locking a necro JUST to lock a necro is just as dumb. There should be more reasoning behind it.
    Bumping a thread 14 pages in Tomato Island (last post was 7th July 2010 07:53 PM) to the first page seems silly to me. Why bump it 14 pages up when you can just create a new thread? That's just dumb.
    I locked the necro to prevent that thread from jumping up to the top of the list again. That way, it can sink back down again. Intentionally searching in the archives for an old "mindless lulz" thread when you can just as easily create a new thread with the same topic is dumb.
    Quote Originally Posted by RavenBlade View Post
    iz ok ddrgn

I really think it doesn't matter, so long as the person necroed it for a good purpose, like as an actual attempt to revive the thread, not those random newbies wandering in going "mm i really agree yeah" and ignore the date.

But actually, the argument is more of where the line lies with good reasoning/purpose for necro. Remaking a thread over and over again is stupid. I enjoy reading past posts.
    The conclusion is that as long as the necro is on topic and tries to revive the thread, then it's fine. Does it seem fine if someone began with the unlocked threads on page 204 of Tomato Island and started posting in every thread they can with relevant information, and that action pushes current threads like the desktop images and listening thread down the list and even into the new page? If it doesn't seem fine, then where do we draw the line?

We're in a heap o'trouble Tesiqurasa's Avatar

What was actually wrong with the continued convo in the ice cream thread though? At that point, it's just about having the earlier posts have a recent date. Nothing in the new thread really changed.

Spoiler!

Yeah, the ice cream thread picked right back up like the previous post was just a day ago. No off-topic, no trololol, just more ice cream.
    Butts.

213 181 178 166 165 164 162 152 147 135 134 130 125 123 123 120 120 104 100 100

Like I said before:
    The conclusion is that as long as the necro is on topic and tries to revive the thread, then it's fine. Does it seem fine if someone began with the unlocked threads on page 204 of Tomato Island and started posting in every thread they can with relevant information, and that action pushes current threads like the desktop images and listening thread down the list and even into the new page? If it doesn't seem fine, then where do we draw the line?
    So maybe reviving an ~8 month old topic is fine as long as it's on topic. What about reviving a 5 year old topic as long as the new post is still on topic? What about reviving 100 topics that are 2 years or older as long as the new posts are still on topic? Where does the line get drawn?

If I allowed this specific case to pass, then that would mean I would allow threads being necroed as long as they are on subject. Going into the extreme with the whole 100 topics thing would be less than desirable. Not knowing where to draw the line between necroing an 8 month old thread and necroing 100 threads, I decided to just lock the thread so that the potential differing opinions about necroing could be reconciled to some degree.