Thread: About my Machine.

Default About my Machine.

So, my machine has these specs:

650 GB hard drive
    5 gb of Ram
    3.3ghz Dual core processor.
    ATI Radeon 4200 HD integrated video card.

I plan to buy a new video card, and I want it to be under $100, I was shopping around, and I found the ATI Radeon 5670 and I was planning to save up for it. Is this a decent video card? If not, what should I get for $100 or under that's decent. I'd prefer it has HDMI, since my 23' inch LED has HDMI as well.

My second question.

Running a scan from crucial.com, I found that my Computer has 4 Ram slots, and one of them is open. I can't decide between these two options when I decide to upgrade ram. I am running Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit, which I plan to get Ultimate in the future. Here are my choices:

Buy a 4gb stick for $50. (Yes, it's compatible with my machine) This will put my Ram up to 9gb. Or, I can buy a kit, which contains two 2 gb sticks. My current ram is
    1 x 1gb stick, and 2 x 2gb sticks. I was thinking of replacing the 1gb stick, and sticking in two 2gbs.

So it would go:
    2gb-----2gb
    2gb-----2gb

Putting my total up to 8 GB, which of the two should I do? One 4gb stick, or two 2gb sticks?

And my final question:

My monitor is an LED, which is an HD monitor. I'm currently running DVI to it, am I being displayed an HD picture?

Wyatt, it's almost never worth updating a rig like that, it's usually a pain for lackluster results. Just keep your money and save it for a custom rig later on in life. Besides, the 5670 is "ok" but the 5770 is much better and doesn't cost too much more(Of course, the 5770 isn't too fantastic for playing games, which is what I imagine you'll want a new GPU for). 5770 costs like 120 or something nowadays. If you do go along with it, remember to check your PSU and the power draw a 5670 has and see if you would need a new one.

Besides, if you're going to go AMD, it's pretty much go big or go home.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usGkq7tAhfc

Quote Originally Posted by Luis View Post
    Wyatt, it's almost never worth updating a rig like that, it's usually a pain for lackluster results. Just keep your money and save it for a custom rig later on in life. Besides, the 5670 is "ok" but the 5770 is much better and doesn't cost too much more(Of course, the 5770 isn't too fantastic for playing games, which is what I imagine you'll want a new GPU for). 5770 costs like 120 or something nowadays. If you do go along with it, remember to check your PSU and the power draw a 5670 has and see if you would need a new one.

Besides, if you're going to go AMD, it's pretty much go big or go home.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usGkq7tAhfc
    You seem to magically know exactly what Computer I have, and how good it is, and where and when I got it. I'm not worried about a custom rig atm, this is a perfectly good starting platform for a customized rig. I was told this by a friend who knows Computers. (F50 NOS irl is a comparison to him)

Quote Originally Posted by Wyatt View Post
    You seem to magically know exactly what Computer I have, and how good it is, and where and when I got it. I'm not worried about a custom rig atm, this is a perfectly good starting platform for a customized rig. I was told this by a friend who knows Computers. (F50 NOS irl is a comparison to him)
    Or, you could just get a new computer instead of pretending you know what you're doing.

If you do end up buying parts and trying to build it yourself, you'll probably end up buying 100% new parts anyway, a quick glance at your specs says they're pretty outdated and you probably don't know what you're doing, what kind of RAM you have (DDR2 vs DDR3), what make your processor is and what model, your current power source...

Also I've never seen a computer with 5 gigs of ram, how does that work? Whoever made that computer must've done something weird.

bolt202/veil225/feint200

Quote Originally Posted by emailbox View Post
    Or, you could just get a new computer instead of pretending you know what you're doing.

If you do end up buying parts and trying to build it yourself, you'll probably end up buying 100% new parts anyway, a quick glance at your specs says they're pretty outdated and you probably don't know what you're doing, what kind of RAM you have (DDR2 vs DDR3), what make your processor is and what model, your current power source...

Also I've never seen a computer with 5 gigs of ram, how does that work? Whoever made that computer must've done something weird.
    Mmk, first of all. Why buy a new Computer? I just got his one within a month ago. AND I bought it brand new, not used, not refurbished. Secondly, my Computer has 4 RAM slots, and 3 of them are occupied. It's 1x 1gb stick, and 2x 2gb sticks. Also, it's DDR3 memory. Power supply, and processor I forget. However, running a scan, my Machine CAN support 16 gb of RAM with it's current specs without any problems.

Banned

Integrated graphics
    CPU processor outdated by 4 generations (Sandy bridge -> start of i5/i7 -> i3 -> quad core)

If you're going to game, then you're not running ****. Sorry. Maybe a 1024x768 res of Low Spec CoD4, but that's about it.