Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "I'm five years older than you!"

Always the Bridesmaid... bulmabriefs144's Avatar

Default "I'm five years older than you!"

Let me tell you a story.

Roughly five or six years ago, I was walking in the streets of Yantai, China, on a shopping trip in the snow when a coworker said this to me. She was a hawt Chinese girl named Mei ("May" in English), and I was walking a bit too closely behind her because I didn't wanna be left alone if I fell, and she was walking too fast.

Okay, back up, what was I doing in Yantai, China? I had "out of the goodness of my heart" decided to "volunteer" to teach children conversational English, which was extremely ironic since I am the least conversational person you will ever meet in real life. But the real reason I was there was really for the wrong reason I guess. I was running away, from a girl who constantly had other boyfriends, including a one that told her she was fat, and a real winner who she was visiting in jail because he got in a bar room brawl. Oddly enough, I was pining for this girl the next 3 years, and kinda avoiding any real job opportunities (really what's the point if all you have to come home to is your parents, and stuff you bought for yourself because you were bored and lonely).

So yea, I'm a tad ADD, let's head back to subject. I was trapped in some country with kinda strange dress code for teachers (the lady Mei was dressed about like me with jeans and cold weather clothing), few people to talk to, and a cold room. Because I was lonely, I tended to hang out in the teacher's lounge even though I technically was told I wasn't needed to. The Chinese government assigned me to go play in the snow with the kids, and I'd ruined a pair of gloves that I'd bought for like 20 yuan. I didn't have much money, and Mei offered to show me the was to a supermarket nearby where I could buy decent gloves for only about 5y. So there I was walking behind her, and she says this to me. I gave her space for the next few weeks, and then when it was time to leave, because I didn't understand what the hell the people at the gate were saying when I tried to check out and give them the keys, and gave her them instead and asked her to turn them in in the morning. This would have been a kinda cool sendoff (it sorta looked like a movie or something), and I would have been driven off to the airport. But ummm, what the gatekeepers were trying to tell me was that my dad, who I was to meet at the airport had been snowed in at Beijing, and I was probably gonna have to sleep on the streets because I had no money (something about a local bank card being stupid and not processing overseas). So instead of a movie, it was more like a Korean Drama (I'm Sorry I Love You springs immediately to mind). Jack Liu (my contact with the volunteer organization) called me a "stupid American" (a term I taught him for goofy behavior by Americans who just wander off and do random stuff) and the police were hauled in to basically coerce Mei back there and make everyone awkward and uncomfortable while she returned my keys... Sigh, so much for a movie departure.

I was to do this running away thing again, this time to "move out" and "be successful", which really meant a cross-country road trip that I did a few short farming gigs for WWOOF. This time, because the girl my age was pining for a boyfriend in Alaska, and was too busy studying for a psych certification and working to really ****ing consider dating with me. That lasted roughly a year, and then we packed up to move again. I went with my parents, because let's face it, I had nowhere else to go. But this time, after a few months of sulking, you know who I miss more? Mei.

In high school, I was told that women pursue men roughly ten years older than them, because they are more mature than men. Hmmm, so... five years older? Or ten years younger? Because women my age are definitely not into me. Which is more appropriate? Let's review the facts here:

• Women live roughly 5 years longer than men, so a relationship with an older woman is less likely to leave an old widow.
    • Older women have got their careers in order, and are more likely to be open to a family. With my age group right now, this means all the women are on the career path, and I am a loser who goes from job to job (because actually, I just take jobs because it's a way to meet people, what I want is my own family). You only need one working person (except in yuppie households where coffee and fine houses are a priority, there are the hidden costs of a second car, as well as others), and I don't have an antiquated need to be a breadwinner.
    • Less tooling around, because older women are impatient. I hate playing games after two "mature" women my own age.

(Oh yea, and I had a third time to deal with this sorta thing. I was working on a farm during this road trip, and trying to stay for this wedding of the two on the farm (the son of the family that put me up originally, and their neighbor's daughter who had lupis and couldn't have a standard cake). They couldn't put me up, and so they wanted me to work two jobs to stay there. A girl my age was working on the farm and I wanted to make time with her, but it wasn't going so well (I think she hated me, as well) since that other job fell through. So I spend my own money out of pocket to stay a bit longer for the wedding, not that it of course mattered to her, she was trying to board with her (stoner) friends and it turned out, her boyfriend. Tough luck, and the wedding not only consisted of Bible-basher preaching a conversion message at the wedding, cheesy stuff like Japanese lanterns lighting the way and silly vows, but seriously the only girl who wanted to dance with me was a girl who was 11, who actually was mature for her age since she was taking care of her almost-incompetent father. She was sweet, but I passed.)

So if I meet Mei and she says that again? "Forget that, I wanna jump your bones, because you're five years older!"

Umm, thoughts?
    Last edited by bulmabriefs144; 8th April 2011 at 06:56 PM.

We're in a heap o'trouble Tesiqurasa's Avatar

Uh...I read through that twice and am still unsure what you're specifically asking. Can you, perhaps, eliminate unnecessary details...or add some that you might have forgotten?

I understand what's going on in the story, but what are you asking?

Spoiler!

Blue bird of friendliness penguinzrock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bulmabriefs144 View Post
    Let me tell you a story.

Roughly five or six years ago, I was walking in the streets of Yantai, China, on a shopping trip in the snow when a coworker said this to me. She was a hawt Chinese girl named Mei ("May" in English), and I was walking a bit too closely behind her because I didn't wanna be left alone if I fell, and she was walking too fast.

I didn't have much money, and Mei offered to show me the was to a supermarket nearby where I could buy decent gloves for only about 5y. So there I was walking behind her, and she says this to me. I gave her space for the next few weeks,

I was to do this running away thing again, this time to "move out" and "be successful", which really meant a cross-country road trip that I did a few short farming gigs for WWOOF. This time, because the girl my age was pining for a boyfriend in Alaska, and was too busy studying for a psych certification and working to really ****ing consider dating with me. That lasted roughly a year, and then we packed up to move again. I went with my parents, because let's face it, I had nowhere else to go. But this time, after a few months of sulking, you know who I miss more? Mei.

In high school, I was told that women pursue men roughly ten years older than them, because they are more mature than men. Hmmm, so... five years older? Or ten years younger? Because women my age are definitely not into me. Which is more appropriate? Let's review the facts here:

• Women live roughly 5 years longer than men, so a relationship with an older woman is less likely to leave an old widow.
    • Older women have got their careers in order, and are more likely to be open to a family. With my age group right now, this means all the women are on the career path, and I am a loser who goes from job to job (because actually, I just take jobs because it's a way to meet people, what I want is my own family). You only need one working person (except in yuppie households where coffee and fine houses are a priority, there are the hidden costs of a second car, as well as others), and I don't have an antiquated need to be a breadwinner.
    • Less tooling around, because older women are impatient. I hate playing games after two "mature" women my own age.

So if I meet Mei and she says that again? "Forget that, I wanna jump your bones, because you're five years older!"

Umm, thoughts?
    Streamlined for reading pleasure.
    Age is stupid.
    People who mention it are stupid.
    Might as well be a post count/join date for real life.
    Hate is easy; love takes courage.
    2/1/2010 - supalim becomes first to ever download an entire yobibyte of internet pizza
    PENGUINZ 4 MOD 2012!

Stop failing Chinese. "Mei" most likely means "Beauty" or "Beautiful" if spoken in the third tone.
    Butts.

213 181 178 166 165 164 162 152 147 135 134 130 125 123 123 120 120 104 100 100

Quote Originally Posted by penguinzrock View Post
    Streamlined for reading pleasure.
    Age is stupid.
    People who mention it are stupid.
    Might as well be a post count/join date for real life.
    Lol, I guess that means me.

Stop failing Chinese. "Mei" most likely means "Beauty" or "Beautiful" if spoken in the third tone.
    The fail. It's not mine. That was her given English name, probably because it sounded like her Chinese one, which was something like Mei Laisheng (made that up, but it was something complicated and hard to remember). Anyway, she was superhawt, so the name suited her.

Tesi, I was asking thoughts on the whole age thing, any experiences you've had with people telling you they're too young or old, and any underaged felonies you guys might have. Stuff like that.
    Last edited by bulmabriefs144; 9th April 2011 at 03:05 AM.

Stop failing Chinese. Surname comes first.
    Butts.

213 181 178 166 165 164 162 152 147 135 134 130 125 123 123 120 120 104 100 100

Quote Originally Posted by FailFTW View Post
    Stop failing Chinese. Surname comes first.
    ^
    As it always does in Korea and Japan too. You'd think a weeaboo would know that.

Also, gigantic wall of text. You need a tl;dr after every single one of your posts because you make them too long and put in too much unnecessary information.

bolt202/veil225/feint200

I unconsciously do that sorta thing anyway, cause I've seen way too many dubs (and even subs) that flip stuff. Also, I'm not always sure when a name is a last unless I find more than one, like Tsukishima Kirari and Tsukishima Subaru. Also, gimme a break it was five or six years ago, and I heard it called out like twice. I didn't catch the whether it was at the beginning or end of the name.

Yeah, and I am a bit of a failure as an otaku.

Asian naming systems by culture. (Start at page 49)

Mkay, so it's only partly right. Japan and possibly some other cultures now do use western style to a large extent (Japan mainly reserves family name for historical figures). Oh weird. I also says, that Korean women don't tend to inherit family names.
    Last edited by bulmabriefs144; 9th April 2011 at 03:39 AM.

Icon11

The very first thing I noticed was my extreme disappointment that you never actually got around to telling us exactly what Mei told you. Several times in the beginning you were like

I was walking in the streets of Yantai, China, on a shopping trip in the snow when a coworker said this to me... Okay, back up, what was I doing in Yantai, China... [stuff not related to what Mei said] So there I was walking behind her, and she says this to me...

But you never did tell us what Mei told you -_-. From what I gathered from the OP you want us to analyze the short little story you told us without knowing any time frame (how long did you know her, how long ago was this) or details regarding the general relationship between Mei and yourself, and you want us to take that analysis and give you an opinion of whether you will be successful or not.

You told us about 2 events that you experienced with Mei:

1) Going to the market when Mei said "this" (whatever on earth "this" is)
    2) The Key incident which was very convoluted

Regarding (1) I have no idea what to make of this because I don't know what Mei told you. Did she tell you to back off because you were walking too close? Regarding (2) I don't see the significance of the key event. Why would Mei be embarrassed about returning your key? How did (2) affect your relationship with Mei in any way? My analysis of this so far with what little information you gave us tells me that Mei still thinks of you as a stranger/acquaintance. If you're aiming for a romantic relationship you're either going to have to either deepen your relationship first or declare your intentions early. However, throughout your entire post you told us about one thing Mei told you (and you didn't even say what that one thing was) yet you expect a good analysis from that and a seemingly unrelated event? If you want a more detailed accurate analysis then you will need to give us more details/info.
    Last edited by Dae314; 9th April 2011 at 03:55 AM.

Thread and posts are too long. Someone needs to summarize in 0-5 short sentences.
    by Cryopon