Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2 Questions about WK

Default 2 Questions about WK

First:

Will a paladin be better off with a shield in the Jump update?

Second:

Does whatever element you pick at 3rd job starting off really matter since you'll be at Jesters till mid 80s at least?

1) Paladins would be better off with a shield now.

2) Not everyone grinds at Jesters till mid 80s.
    But yes, it does matter. If you're training at an elementally neutral monster, you pick the strongest charge you can get your hands in. Fire Charge.
    Next, you want to increase that damage. Lightning Charge. Of course, Charge Blow comes between the two charges for the fixed range, stun and extra damage unless you have Soul Driver.
    Other than that, you can look at the elemental monster list thingo and judge for yourself what charges you'll be using based on where you'll train. Personally, I never touched Ice Charge outside Dojo.

I've never really used a shield. Shields are useless unless you have an attack boosting shield that is well scrolled. I also don't see too many non-dark scrolls that boost ATT on shields as well.

Quote Originally Posted by DlPSHl7 View Post
    1) Paladins would be better off with a shield now.

2) Not everyone grinds at Jesters till mid 80s.
    But yes, it does matter. If you're training at an elementally neutral monster, you pick the strongest charge you can get your hands in. Fire Charge.
    Next, you want to increase that damage. Lightning Charge. Of course, Charge Blow comes between the two charges for the fixed range, stun and extra damage unless you have Soul Driver.
    Other than that, you can look at the elemental monster list thingo and judge for yourself what charges you'll be using based on where you'll train. Personally, I never touched Ice Charge outside Dojo.
    First, yes I know this is semi-old but still relevant.

But, where would even be an adequate place to train at 7x~8x if not for jesters since most other mobs I've seen around that lvl have either horrible spawn or the ones that have a weakness are so far off the beaten trail its not worth the time/effort to get to them.

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteTigerX7 View Post
    I've never really used a shield. Shields are useless unless you have an attack boosting shield that is well scrolled. I also don't see too many non-dark scrolls that boost ATT on shields as well.
    Cubing. A shield is one more equip that can be cubed.

bolt202/veil225/feint200

True but it's still a wild shot in the dark to get a good potential shield as well. If anything I'd only go 1-Hand + Shield if I had a good shield and good 1-Hand sword to use to start with. Otherwise I'll just keep using 2-Hand weapons until then. Made it this far with 2-Hand stuff...

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteTigerX7 View Post
    Don't tell me Shield Mastery and Guardian are useless. Attack and strength on shields comes secondary to the defence gained. If you wanted all out attack, Heroes may be a better choice.

Quote Originally Posted by LostZodiac View Post
    First, yes I know this is semi-old but still relevant.

But, where would even be an adequate place to train at 7x~8x if not for jesters since most other mobs I've seen around that lvl have either horrible spawn or the ones that have a weakness are so far off the beaten trail its not worth the time/effort to get to them.
    Before Big Bang, I would have recommended that, due the the White Knight's lack of new skills suitable to training, they plan out some training areas and choose their charges accordingly. The elemental advantage was needed to make training more bearable, sometimes having a higher priority over monster spawn. Also, another factor was the strength of monsters, both in terms of their HP and defence. Ice charge was commonly favoured due to its ability to freeze monsters, and was used regardless of elemental weakness (except where the monster was ice strong).

But Big Bang was passed. Monsters are far easier to kill, and do no significant damage. As a result, you don't need to utilise the monster's weakness. Try Sand Rats or Scorpions; two popular pre-Big Bang training areas because of their spawn. Don't worry about the fact that they have no weakness. It will be slower, but, at least to me, the extra time is worth not having to put up with the people at Jesters.
    Keep in mind that I'm an Australian player as well. There wouldn't be nearly as many people at Jesters during my times compared to yours. And I can barely handle that place.

Guardian is more useful than Shield Mastery by a long shot. Good part is Guardian does have effects even if you don't have a shield. Shield Mastery isn't worth building because you have to sacrifice a more useful skill just to build it.

However as said, I've gotten up to 4th job without a shield and I'm still chugging away regardless as is a few other people I know. Maybe one day I'll get a shield if I can find a decent 1-Hand wepaon worth having along with a shield thats been nicely scrolled, otherwise... no thanks.

And what more useful skill would that be?

From my knowledge, you don't need to sacrifice any skill in third job. Or any other job advancement if you really wanted to.

Let's see you get about 151 points for 3rd job so...

-30 for Charged Blow
    -20 each (-60 total) for Fire, Ice, and Lightning Charges
    -20 for Magic Crash
    -20 for Combat Orders
    -10 for HP Recovery

for a grand total of... 140 points used... that's 11 points left that probably got used to finish some 2nd job skills as well...

unless you used those 11 points for Shield Mastery but adding only 110% to the defense isn't much. Besides Guardian can deflect and stun and Divine Shield can block damage and boost damage. By the time you'd even get Shield Mastery useful your Power Guard would still be reflecting more back and combined with Achillies, Guardian, Divine Shield, Iron Body, and using Threaten properly... Shield Mastery is not really worth it.