Page 2 of 39 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Atheism

Blue bird of friendliness penguinzrock's Avatar

"having a hard time defending beliefs" is subjective in regards to whom you are defending against

i can say without shadow of doubt that atheists have little to no problem defending their views on the internet

i just think it's annoying how much it's brought up or seemingly subtley (not really) inserted into otherwise normal discussion
    the original post's quote specifically also irked me

great job merciless, i know you don't believe in god
    WE GET IT

normally here is where i'd say something about me inserting buddhism into every few posts i make to compensate
    BUT THEN I'D BE JUST AS BAD AS THOSE ATHEISTS AND CHRISTIANS AND OTHER OVERLY RELIGIOUS FOLK NOW WOULDN'T I

yall r whack 4 real
    Hate is easy; love takes courage.
    2/1/2010 - supalim becomes first to ever download an entire yobibyte of internet pizza
    PENGUINZ 4 MOD 2012!

You know what controls the heavens and the earth and the universe?

Physics. I am a strong believer of Physics.
    Butts.

213 181 178 166 165 164 162 152 147 135 134 130 125 123 123 120 120 104 100 100

The God of Destruction! Masked King's Avatar

I don't give a **** what people think of my religion. If they don't believe oh well.

When I die, if none of it was real. Oh well. I haven't lost anything.

If however it is real, what have they lost when they die?

We're in a heap o'trouble Tesiqurasa's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Merciless View Post
    y u haet me ;_;

in all seriousness, I strongly advocate for one to be a skeptic of what they believe. They can believe whatever they want, don't get me wrong, but the way I see it, if you have no reason or justification to believe in something, it can, and probably will be detrimental to rationality. The reason why I don't believe in god or gods is because there is no proof or evidence. I also won't believe that the big bang happened (believe it or not), but I will say that it is the most supported theory for the beginning of the universe, and it is wrong to say otherwise. Does god exist? perhaps, but there is no proof, so why should I believe it?
    If you do believe in making accurate and logical choices, you would simply have to be up in the air about the existence of a deity. It would just be a non-factor in your life until you find something else to reason for or against it.
    I don't think anyone here truly makes only accurate and logical decisions. By saying "I don't believe in god or gods", you profess some form of belief (be it a reversal), especially when you preface it with an inaccurate conclusion ("probably")

It's not that you should believe in a deity, but, by your own premises, you should not necessarily discount the idea of one.
    Last edited by Tesiqurasa; 5th May 2011 at 06:39 AM.

Spoiler!

Blue bird of friendliness penguinzrock's Avatar

theres no proof that you're telling the truth tesi he won't believe you
    Hate is easy; love takes courage.
    2/1/2010 - supalim becomes first to ever download an entire yobibyte of internet pizza
    PENGUINZ 4 MOD 2012!

I think we should all just say "To hell with it." And start believing in Runescape gods.

I myself am a Guthix follower.

I'm more of a follower of Saradomin or however you spell it.
    Butts.

213 181 178 166 165 164 162 152 147 135 134 130 125 123 123 120 120 104 100 100

I never said that there is no god, and I will not say that there is not one.

My stance on a situation is that it does not exist unless it can be proven. meaning, disbelief until proof or evidence is given. you say
    you would simply have to be up in the air about the existence of a deity
    which is true when looking solely at the issue, but if you look at what that issue effects, in this case that countries that have a larger atheist population tend to have less crime, social problems, and an overall better education, your stance on an issue should be swayed.

lets say that I am an atheist agnostic, meaning don't believe in god, but am open to the idea of one existing. I look at countries with a large religious population, and then I look at countries with a smaller religious population and see that the countries with the overall smaller religious population tend to be more peaceful etc etc etc.

So basically I see that religion is detrimental to a society.
    Quote Originally Posted by BarelyAwake View Post
    This thread quickly turned into who all wants to sex up Merciless.

Quote Originally Posted by FailFTW View Post
    I'm more of a follower of Saradomin or however you spell it.
    You've got it. But Saradomin? Really? Sheesh. All Saradomin wants is to be in control of Runescape. He's no better then Zamorak.

i have come to the conclusion that you have no idea what youre talking about
    hi