Page 3 of 39 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Atheism

You are all tools and idiots.

or

This thread makes me lose faith in humanity.

I guess people dun wanna kill me

;_;

o well

so how bout that AP calculus AB test?
    Quote Originally Posted by BarelyAwake View Post
    This thread quickly turned into who all wants to sex up Merciless.

tl;dr
    Everything bulma thinks is wrong
    bulma thinks religion is right
    religion is wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by kaglover1 View Post
    I was conceived around 4-5am.

We're in a heap o'trouble Tesiqurasa's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Merciless View Post
    I never said that there is no god, and I will not say that there is not one.

My stance on a situation is that it does not exist unless it can be proven. meaning, disbelief until proof or evidence is given. you say

which is true when looking solely at the issue, but if you look at what that issue effects, in this case that countries that have a larger atheist population tend to have less crime, social problems, and an overall better education, your stance on an issue should be swayed.

lets say that I am an atheist agnostic, meaning don't believe in god, but am open to the idea of one existing. I look at countries with a large religious population, and then I look at countries with a smaller religious population and see that the countries with the overall smaller religious population tend to be more peaceful etc etc etc.

So basically I see that religion is detrimental to a society.
    That should only sway your opinion on the practice of religion (or specific religions). The effects on society should not change how accurate a belief is. It could, possibly, be accurate, but still very detrimental. It could also be inaccurate, but still very detrimental. A conclusion cannot be reached from that example.

I feel that it's important to differentiate between religion as a human institution and religion (or spirituality) as a personal belief when making "logical" accusations. I'm guessing that most "flaming" threads could be avoided if people tried to be as specific as possible (although there will be dumbasses who just assume any argument is a flame).

Spoiler!

Whether you wanna call it Big Bang or whatever, that's what you're calling God. You can't really even say the sentence "God does not exist" without somehow mentioning God. "That deity over there? Nah he doesn't exist."
    i dont see a deity anywhere, and obviously you cant see god doesn't exist without mentioning god because that's kind of what you're talking about. do you even know what you're saying?

I wanna talk about why atheism is stupid because although I'm not one of these Bible-bashers that needs for there to be a God, I'm even more sick of hearing atheists whine about how there isn't one. (That's my intro and thesis)
    ok i dont know how you're so ****ing stereotypical. ALL ATHEISTS WHINE. ALL ATHEISTS HATE RELIGIOUS PEOPLE. what the hell. atheism means that they don't believe in god or gods, nothing more and nothing less. everything else doesn't have to do with the person being atheist.

Having seen alot of people, and wrestled with my own doubts, I can kinda intuit why atheists are the way they are. One the conception of God was probably some nice old man, in the clouds somewhere that was supposed to effectively grant prayers or something, and who was absolutely good. First off, absolute good is a crock, because if absolute good exists "why is evil allowed to exist" and you come to some screwy reasoning about therefore God must not exist (instead of maybe, just maybe God, isn't this perfect ideal). Or maybe it's actually personal, ranging from anything to your dog died, to looking back at your life and having no job, no lover, no family, and no friends, not mention everything being a mess. And sometimes it's cause the people attending church are such narrow-minded a-holes that they condemn their own members unconsciously ("women shouldn't be priests", when you're a woman sitting there dreaming of being like the priest). Yea, I can understand most reasons.
    you don't understand most reasons because most reasons don't actually have to do with religion itself. and about that "screwy reasoning" you're talking about...i don't see the reasoning behind god existing, but there's actually facts backing up scientific views that are contradicted by the bible, which don't have facts backing them up. personal messes don't have to do with religion so i dont see what youre getting at there

God doesn't care, because God (the Tao) is a neutral universal force that can't be bothered whether you live or die. The only thing God is actively involved in is creating existence, maintaining existence, and destroying existence. Whether humans are good or evil, they're still gonna die. Salvation is something you mainly get in this life, and mainly from other people. Oh yea, and living in good conduct with nature (you'll still die though). Humans need a God or gods, that they can personally relate to so they've got some fixed idea in their heads as to what God looks like, but God really isn't like us people. If you pray and it's answered, you're probably getting word from an angel of God (basically a glorified mail carrier), rather than God itself. And
    i'm not sure if you know this but lives are made and destroyed at the hands of people. if there's a neutral universal force that isn't bothered by death or life then it wouldn't bother maintaining the life/death because it would have no significance to it. unless of course, it's doing it because it is made to do it, in which case it's not omnipotent anyways.

all and all, you're a stereotypical douchebag that needs to learn some manners
    hi

Quote Originally Posted by Merciless View Post
    I guess people dun wanna kill me

;_;

o well

so how bout that AP calculus AB test?
    did you remember + C
    噢如果超人会飞
    那就让我在空中停一停歇
    再次俯瞰这个世界
    会让我觉得好一些

哦拯救地球好累
    虽然有些疲惫但我还是会
    不要问我哭过了没
    因为超人不能有眼泪

Quote Originally Posted by Tesiqurasa View Post
    That should only sway your opinion on the practice of religion (or specific religions). The effects on society should not change how accurate a belief is. It could, possibly, be accurate, but still very detrimental. It could also be inaccurate, but still very detrimental. A conclusion cannot be reached from that example.

I feel that it's important to differentiate between religion as a human institution and religion (or spirituality) as a personal belief when making "logical" accusations. I'm guessing that most "flaming" threads could be avoided if people tried to be as specific as possible (although there will be dumbasses who just assume any argument is a flame).
    I understand that accuracy is different than what I have been talking about, but so far no religion can justify their beliefs. I will use christianity in this next example, since that is the majority of the world, and is the primary religion that pisses me off. Even now, when evolution is a fact, a law (or some parts of it), many denominations deny it and say creationism is correct. In this case, it is extremely detrimental, to education, especially here in texas where the board has been asked to teach creationism in schools as if it were like evolution (they would still have evolution).

I guess I can side with the quote "I don't hate god, it's his fan club I can't stand." But even so, I hate christianity, why? because it advocates immoral things, case and point exodus 21 and exodus 31. Its an 1800 year old religion with thousands of different denominations all claiming that they are the "real christianity"

religion infects the minds, it praises gullibility and shuns rationality, it teaches lies, and the fan club makes it seem like all good.

---------- Post added at 06:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:32 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by nanop44 View Post
    did you remember + C
    when i got the chance to use it ;_;
    Quote Originally Posted by BarelyAwake View Post
    This thread quickly turned into who all wants to sex up Merciless.

We're in a heap o'trouble Tesiqurasa's Avatar

I would agree that any belief system intent on shutting out opposing points of view is evil. I do think that deception is evil (ironic that I'm going into rhetorical theory then xP).
    I would love to think of myself as a logical, accurate, and reasonable person, but realistically, I'm not. I don't think many people like that exist, and if they do, I have seen no examples of them.

Spoiler!

Blue bird of friendliness penguinzrock's Avatar

ITT: merciless says religion = christianity
    Hate is easy; love takes courage.
    2/1/2010 - supalim becomes first to ever download an entire yobibyte of internet pizza
    PENGUINZ 4 MOD 2012!

RELIGION THREAD YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAh

bolt202/veil225/feint200