Thread: Battlemage Discussion

Default Battlemage Discussion

Had a discussion point I can't seem to decide on by myself.

The Finisher. I used it at normal training spots all the time because it allowed me to telecast to the next monster more quickly while typically doing higher damage than my current blow skill.

However, now that I'm at Lionheart Castle, Zak, Pap, Ani, and various other bosses I have to wonder. Holding down the blow skill lets it go awfully quick. Quicker than if you were to constantly press it, I believe. Something about holding a skill down really increases its speed.

So when you're bossing or at Lionheart Castle, do you use The Finisher? I know the 20% damage ignore is extremely interesting, particularly on those boss type monsters, but the break in between The Finisher and Finishing Blow feels so much slower than just holding down Finishing Blow.

Well, it IS slower. However I'm wondering if the damage thrown out by The Finisher outdoes the fact that using both in combination is physically slower than just holding down Finishing Blow.

What's your thoughts?

I haven't used Finisher since 2nd job. Its redundant it makes more sense to just use another Blow or Tele

BuckshotEye-8x Cannoneer
    Destresation- 8x Aran
    [05-06, 19:18] Tesiqurasa: jitenp is hot <----took you long enough

Quote Originally Posted by jitenp View Post
    I haven't used Finisher since 2nd job. Its redundant it makes more sense to just use another Blow or Tele
    I thought I would comment with what is considered the highest DPS.

Finishing Blow -> Teleport Up -> The Finisher -> Teleport Up -> Finishing Blow

Repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by Aberrence View Post
    I thought I would comment with what is considered the highest DPS.

Finishing Blow -> Teleport Up -> The Finisher -> Teleport Up -> Finishing Blow

Repeat.
    The finisher Out-Damages my Quad Blow attack, but not my Dark Chains Attack. I'm losing DPS using the finisher, Since I can get two Quad's off for one finisher. This is at level 57, Let alone 120+

Wouldn't "FB > Ada > FB > FB >Ada >FB > FB >Ada" Be Superior Ada stuns, and hits for 410%, The Finisher is 340% and 20% Defense reduction, which I don't see being a HUGE factor unless you're fighting some big monsters.

Also Teleporting up then using the finisher is tricky, Especially if you're using Yellow Aura, ADA would be slower, yes, but foolproof. And Consistency would be a huge factor in dps, you have to factor in the messed up attempts as well.

Think of it as Atomic Hammer to Punch Launcher, Atomic Hammer, Pierces defense, but Punch Launcher is eventually superior, even though Punch Launcher doesn't Pierce Defense.

Also, if you're holding down a skill key it cuts the frames you spend off skill down significantly. If you hit a skill normally, you go into a "Breath catching animation" Holding the skill down doesn't show that animation until the skill is released and as such is faster, Tapping will however show one hunched over frame normally.
    Last edited by White Mage Abyss; 27th May 2011 at 08:40 AM.

I use finisher for anything I didn't one hit to finish it off.

Quote Originally Posted by White Mage Abyss View Post
    The finisher Out-Damages my Quad Blow attack, but not my Dark Chains Attack. I'm losing DPS using the finisher, Since I can get two Quad's off for one finisher. This is at level 57, Let alone 120+

Wouldn't "FB > Ada > FB > FB >Ada >FB > FB >Ada" Be Superior Ada stuns, and hits for 410%, The Finisher is 340% and 20% Defense reduction, which I don't see being a HUGE factor unless you're fighting some big monsters.

Also Teleporting up then using the finisher is tricky, Especially if you're using Yellow Aura, ADA would be slower, yes, but foolproof. And Consistency would be a huge factor in dps, you have to factor in the messed up attempts as well.

Think of it as Atomic Hammer to Punch Launcher, Atomic Hammer, Pierces defense, but Punch Launcher is eventually superior, even though Punch Launcher doesn't Pierce Defense.

Also, if you're holding down a skill key it cuts the frames you spend off skill down significantly. If you hit a skill normally, you go into a "Breath catching animation" Holding the skill down doesn't show that animation until the skill is released and as such is faster, Tapping will however show one hunched over frame normally.
    out of five runs, the average time it took me to kill a bear wolf with my Elemental Staff using finishing blow only: 94 seconds

Out of five runs, the average time it took me to kill a bearwolf with my Elemental Staff using my combo: 58 seconds

Since I'm using an Elemental Staff I have max speed, so you can't tell me it's too hard. I get it with great consistency, it just takes a few minutes of practice. Also, I believe this proves that my method is much higher DPS, considering that is a HUGE window and my standard deviation was +/- 2 seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by Aberrence View Post
    out of five runs, the average time it took me to kill a bear wolf with my Elemental Staff using finishing blow only: 94 seconds

Out of five runs, the average time it took me to kill a bearwolf with my Elemental Staff using my combo: 58 seconds

Since I'm using an Elemental Staff I have max speed, so you can't tell me it's too hard. I get it with great consistency, it just takes a few minutes of practice. Also, I believe this proves that my method is much higher DPS, considering that is a HUGE window and my standard deviation was +/- 2 seconds.
    Looks like you answered your own question. And that practice will always beat theory. Thanks for clearing that bit up, I was curious.

Quote Originally Posted by White Mage Abyss View Post
    Looks like you answered your own question. And that practice will always beat theory. Thanks for clearing that bit up, I was curious.
    As a tip for the combo: I've found it's a lot easier if you try and teleport at the same time as you cast the initial skill. Also, it could be me, but I think I press my ctrl key six times while trying to do this. Once for each hit of finishing blow. I'm not sure why I do it, it could be a whole I'm in band and I've learned to subdivide all my life, but I'm just posting what I do here to figure that out : ).

And you're welcome, it really is astounding. When I was just trying to eyeball it I could have sworn just holding Finishing Blow was faster. I know what you speak of when you say holding a skill key as opposed to tapping it shortens the actual casting time - It's EXTREMELY evident with a Priest and Shining Ray.

Granted these tests aren't extensive, but a 30 second window 5 times without any significant deviation to me is good enough, even if science/statistics demands more.

Slime

Finisher ignores 20% DEF, kinda cool.
    Vinju - 161 Blade Master
    NLFJ - 158 Night Lord
    xBowlCut - 145 Battle Mage
    24ATKBuff - 120 Dawn Warrior

Quote Originally Posted by Bishopz View Post
    I use finisher for anything I didn't one hit to finish it off.
    yup..i agree with it..
    1st thing to consider will be the mana consumption..
    finisher, being a 1st job skill, will b very convenient !!! (i mean VERY)
    as higher lvl blows consume more mana, even 10 mana per blow will cause big different as ur spamming it.
    finisher deals almost same damage as per blow (higher lvl blow make finisher stronger).
    meaning to say..u use lesser mana (2 strikes, blow + finisher) when u use higher lvl blow attack + finisher, compare to 2 consecutive blows.
    agree??
    same damage (almost), but lesser mana (each time u cast it)
    the speed is indeed slower, but unless ur hitting a boss, no point u cast a blow twice, especially high lvl blow.
    higher lvl blow-ended-finisher has a high damage count (well i like it personally ^^)
    lvl85 BaM finisher with quintuple blow critical = 25k ++