Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DA POTENTIAL SYSTEM GUiDE

Default DA POTENTIAL SYSTEM GUiDE

GUIDE ON DAT POTENTIAL SYSTEM
    Concerning all aspects regarding the system.

[big wall of text introduction][/big wall of text introduction]

Terms:
    Pot - Short for potential, ie the potential on an item, or "pot scroll", etc.
    EE - Equipment Enhancement scroll, AEE is the same with an "Advanced" before it.
    Tier X - What level range the equipment falls into. Explained later on.
    Cube - Miracle Cube. Explained later on. Also PMC, premium miracle cube. Also explained later on.
    %STAT - Any one of %INT, %LUK, %DEX or %STR

Introduction to potentials

What is the potential system?
    It's basically a system that allows your items to have extra stats or features that affect you in addition to any scrolling you do.

How can I get potential on my item, and how does it work?
    There are three ways to obtain pot stats on your item.

1. Find an equip dropped from a monster with hidden pot.
    2. Via Professions (Smithing, Crafting or Alchemy); scroll down to the spoiler.
    3. Use a pot scroll on an equip to give it a hidden pot.

The latter is much easier to do. Once you do obtain a hidden pot, it will have a red frame like so:

Once you have the red frame, you use a magnifying glass on it to "reveal" the pot stats on it.

These can be bought from most (if not all) Potion selling NPCs.

Prices for Magnifying Glasses:
    Basic - 2k mesos; Reveals anything in tier 1.
    Average 8k mesos; Reveals anything in tier 1 or 2.
    Advance 32k mesos; Reveals anything which has a level requirement of 0~120.
    Premium 128k mesos; Reveals all items.

Hold on a sec! What's a tier??
    The tier of the item is based completely on the item's level requirement. The tier will indicate how "good" or "strong" the potential can be on an item.
    Tier 1 - Level req. 1~30
    Tier 2 - Level req. 31~70
    Tier 3 - Level req. 71+

gMS has removed Tier4 with Chaos. Tier 3 is now 71~200.

So what do the tiers do?
    They indicate what sort of stats will appear on your item.

Take, for example, a tier 3 armor, say a top with a level 80 requirement, vs a tier 2 armor, a top from the same class but a level 70 requirement.
    You reveal both and they are both Rare. Let's say you obtained %LUK on both of them.

The tier 3 top will have 3% LUK and the tier 2 top will only have 2% LUK.

In short, on one line, you can have:
    Tier 1: 1%,2%,3%,4%STAT
    Tier 2: 2%,4%,6%,9%STAT
    Tier 3: 3%,6%,9%,12%STAT

For weapons it's a little bit different because you can obtain better potentials for your damage, for example, %Damage or %Attack. These adhere to the same rules as %STAT.
    You cannot get anything that's not on that list, including the old 4th tier potentials in gMS.

Lines?? Weapons? RARE UNIQUE WHAT
    Long explanation, WALL OF TEXT.
    Spoiler!

Maker, Alchemy, and such.
    Spoiler!

Final words
    The tier you should aim for with all your items is tier 3. It's currently the highest tier for all equipment, and are also coincidentally the easiest to find. Having tier 3 gear means that you can cube to your heart's content and not have to worry about "mediocre" stats.
    Note that some equips, depending on your server, may or may not have an equip of that slot in tier 3; for instance, as I write this, gMS doesn't have an eye accessory that has a level requirement over 71 (Spectrum Goggles are level req 70 and are therefore 2nd tier). They do now; Kenta's PQ gives an untradeable eye accessory that has a level requirement of 80.

Post questions if needed. Please don't ask stupid things I've already explained.
    Last edited by emailbox; 12th February 2012 at 12:49 AM.

bolt202/veil225/feint200

Quite detailed, and an excellent guide. May I suggest, however, adding a few more images for the looks? Images are nice.

yeah i should probably get some ss's off my own stuff. will update eventually, need to find out what needs pics and what doesn't

bolt202/veil225/feint200

Just three things I'd like to add:
    1) EE's and AEE's can add nothing.
    2) Perhaps mention that equips should be upgraded to 3%STAT, then 6%STAT and so on? Or would that be left for another guide?
    3) <Decent> skills do not completely adhere to Tiers (and you forgot to mention them completely).

The Decent skills do adhere to tiers. The lines don't necessarily. It is possible that the 2nd or more likely the 3rd line can be a higher tier than the main line.
    Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Quote Originally Posted by kaglover1 View Post
    But now I'm like screw that, I'm skipping to the part where Bella finally combines with Edward

Oh, I see.

Quote Originally Posted by DlPSHl7 View Post
    Just three things I'd like to add:
    1) EE's and AEE's can add nothing.
    2) Perhaps mention that equips should be upgraded to 3%STAT, then 6%STAT and so on? Or would that be left for another guide?
    3) <Decent> skills do not completely adhere to Tiers (and you forgot to mention them completely).
    ee's and aee's always add attack to weapons.
    also there is nothing in this statement that suggests they guarantee stats on your (armor) equip:
    These scrolls have a chance to add random stats to your item
    also decent skills aren't particularly important. this is a guide for the general potential system, ie, for how the tiers work, what the "rarity" system does, and how you basically obtain potential on items. it's not for every single possible potential that can come out. otherwise i'd also have to post all the differences between %damage, %att, boss damage, ignore damage, do this, do that blahblahblahblahblahblah

bolt202/veil225/feint200

As in, it is possible to add nothing to your weapon as well. I'll find the screenshot of someone's Sky Skis where an EE did nothing.

Also, when you say "These scrolls have a chance to add random stats to your item", you imply that there is a success rate.

Quote Originally Posted by DlPSHl7 View Post
    As in, it is possible to add nothing to your weapon as well. I'll find the screenshot of someone's Sky Skis where an EE did nothing.

Also, when you say "These scrolls have a chance to add random stats to your item", you imply that there is a success rate.
    Because they do have a success rate... Potential scrolls have 90% and 70% success rates. AEE and EE scrolls have 100% and 80% success rates that go down by 10% for each star the weapon has.
    Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Quote Originally Posted by kaglover1 View Post
    But now I'm like screw that, I'm skipping to the part where Bella finally combines with Edward

Quote Originally Posted by omarXRanger View Post
    Because they do have a success rate... Potential scrolls have 90% and 70% success rates. AEE and EE scrolls have 100% and 80% success rates that go down by 10% for each star the weapon has.
    What I'm trying to say is that, although the scroll may have worked, nothing may have changed.