Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A Campfire Story: The Sword of Sorrow

Always the Bridesmaid... bulmabriefs144's Avatar

Chapter 9

Pardon the crows. They're creepy and a bit too theatrical, but I can't be picky as they were my only friends as a child. I won't tell you I'm really a good person inside, as it's a bit too cliche. I'm well aware I've done numerous things I'm not at all proud of. I could have at the time told you that it was for the greater good, but having centuries to reflect on my misdeeds, I can only say that it was the best guess at the time.

For example, I crafted several Heresies and sent them after those two. Making Heresies is no small task, a full day is needed to capture shadows of objects, and bind them inside carved statues. If I didn't have a serious need for them, I would have used something else. They were most suitable for the task, I wanted to be sure the girl Anideshi had her mother's powers, and whether she was an aid or a danger to my plans. There was the risk that I'd have killed a defenseless girl, but it was an acceptable loss. After all, after what her mother Terra did, leaving the Druid Council (leaving me), her daughter deserved whatever she got.

Not that I personally hated the girl. I'd been watching her and her friends for years, and she seemed much more decent than I was. But... until my objectives were met, I'd need to continue testing her. Still, I would give her a chance to rest for the day.

I have plenty of time to see my plans come true. You see, well, my name is Utnapishtim. If you've never heard of me, let's just say that even though most cultures have a flood story, mine was among the first. According to legend, I was granted eternal life in exchange for silence on what really caused the flood. Is this really how I got eternal life? Not telling.

In the Druid order, people like me are called Elders, because rather than simple natural abilities, we have a biological gift of youth on our side. Terra was one of them, and I thought we were suited for a life together for all eternity. But she started to disagree with the methods of the other Druids. You see, Terra believed in living as a part of nature, while most of the other Druids wanted to keep the balance of nature under careful control. Not that I agreed with them by the end. I just wanted to take this one step further, and get rid of the Druids entirely. Their heavy-handed teachings took her away from my arms, after all. I believe Anideshi is the perfect weapon against them.
    Last edited by bulmabriefs144; 20th June 2011 at 10:00 PM.

Chapter 10

I felt as if I'd been Rip Van Winkle, sleeping for fifty years. I half-expected to have a full-length beard, then remembered I was a girl and couldn't grow much facial hair. In fact, I'd probably slept only a few hours, but the amount of fatigue I'd had was pretty huge.

I'd done something right around that time. Well, so had Azrael, but she was into weird stuff, and it was almost plausible that she'd have some sort of powers given the amount of studying she did. I, on the other hand, had virtually no explanation for weird mystical powers. And yet, here it was, I'd burned away some creepy monsters with my mind. I would definitely ask my mom about this sort of thing, as she seemed to be the most likely candidate. But first...

I popped into Azrael's hospital bed. As I looked on her sleeping form, I was struck by just how beautiful Azrael actually was. When she was awake she had a great deal working against this reality, like thick ugly glasses, a weird fashion sense, and her long hair was usually tied back in some way or another. But here, unconscious as she was with no glasses, long hair lying loose, and a plain hospital gown, she was stunning.

I would have looked at her in this way all day, in fact, if she had not chosen this moment to wake up. "Hey," I said.

Azrael glanced in my direction. "I'm sorry," said she, "for not telling you everything I should have. These things could have killed you."

"Don't sweat it," I answered, "I'm just glad you're okay."

Azrael went into some long explanation about how my inborn powers were budding and needed to be trained, how there were many other creatures like this one, and how they were probably led by some evil wizard or something. Then she talked in depth about how to fight various creatures. I only half-paid attention, the topic was kinda boring. But I was fascinated by her. Suddenly I remembered something.

"Azrael," I said, interrupting her, "I want to go on that double date. Is Friday okay?"

She smiled.

Some time later, we left school to head home. I had something to ask my mother.

Chapter 11

"Mom?" I called out as I entered the house. "Something weird happened today."

She sighed. "I knew this would happen, someday." After pausing a long while, she continued, "...You used magic, right?"

"I think that's what I did, yes," I said hesitantly. "Is it safe? I mean, I won't suddenly blow people up by looking at them right?"

This time, she burst out in laughter. "You've been watching too many movies. Magic is very much under our control. In order to do magic, any kind of magic, whether the type we have, sorcery, or even necromancy and exorcism requires three things. You need the will to do it, that is, if you haven't any intent to do anything, nothing happens. You've gotta have a soul in order to magic, and indeed the type of magic you use takes the form of your soul. And magic takes its strength from your feelings, so you have to be angry or upset to hurt someone. But remember, the strongest emotion is love."

After hearing this long speech, I was left to wonder, "this power, where does it come from?"

My mother Terra, at long last, smiled. "Now that, is a long story..."
    Mom began, "A long time ago people discovered these powers. To say it's a hereditary ability is only partially true, because all heredity came from original sources. All people can use powers such as these, but for most it was a bit like starting a fire with just twigs. Because of this, people with strong powers started creating bloodlines with other similarly proficient people. Over generations those bloodlines inherited such powers as natural traits rather than something requiring alot of practice. On the other hand, there are still people who have acquired such powers by difficult means. Azrael, as an exorcist is one of them."

I had to ask. "What exactly are we, then? And what does an exorcist do?"

"We are called the Druids. We protect nature from all sorts of human and mystical forces (though some of us are a little more heavy hands than most about it). There are several other groups, like wizards, who use similar magic but use it more on behalf of humanity, alchemists, who use a type of magic similar to chemistry, and geomancers, who tap energy straight from the earth. There are also people with unique powers, like healing or magical girls. Then there are those unsavory type nobody wants much to do with, who have abused their power, and thus are branded sorcerers. They might have fallen into any one of the other categories, but the result is the same, they don't own their powers but rather the powers own them. Some of them have gone a step worse and become necromancers, those who cross the line and tamper with life and death. Exorcists... exorcists are like the police of magical people. They have the knowledge of magical circles and spiritual abilities to counter magic, even though magic like yours is typically unworkable to them."

Mom finished, "I want to teach you to use your magic, so you can call on it at any time. If those creatures were summoned by the person I think they were, you'd be in trouble without at least a working understanding of your magic."

My mother apparently had a talent for understatement. Far from a simple working understanding, as she put it, the next few hours were a grueling crash-course of everything related to magic. I learned first to aim magic at various objects and release fire from my hands by channeling my anger at it. Then, I learned that power was not limited to anger, and that I could control the four elements based on my emotions. Fire was based on my passion, water was based on fear and sadness, earth was pretty much the hardest because it drew from a sort of calm but I managed it by figuring out that a strong need to protect someone also brought it out, and wind came from things like happiness. As I learned to channel my emotions (it felt really weird), she started testing me by throwing various elementals and oozes at me that she'd, I assume, made from a test tube. She had me learn about how various creatures react to each elemental attack. Finally, she moved beyond elemental attacks, and taught me first to make elemental shields (earth shields turned out not to be a wall of earth as I originally though, but a gas-permeable force field), and finally to be able to shape the elements for minor effects. I learned to force fire into a dragon, grow vines into various shapes, make the wind blow in several different directions, and even how to make snow. By the end of it, I could do not just battle tricks, but a great number of minor techniques. I wished I could fly, but without asking, already knew why that wouldn't be feasible until I was much more powerful. It required very efficient use of power, and for me to supply it constantly. Proficient as I became in this crash-course, I was still a long way from that point.

As I settled in for the night (from utter exhaustion), I briefly wondered how Azrael's day went.
    Last edited by bulmabriefs144; 29th June 2011 at 05:50 AM.

Chapter 12

I didn't want to come to school with all the cuts and bruises I got from the battle. After all, there were fewer people who witnessed our broken bodies than those who saw us beforehand. Knowing Anideshi, her mother probably healed her the moment she came home. I on the other hand, didn't have the luxury.

My parents had acquired exorcist powers of their own, through their travels and research, but unfortunately for me, they were gone most of the year. Their day job was archaeology, particularly in the field of religious artifacts (which was part of their other job too, since many such artifacts had curses or even magic warped by decay), so it was up to me to heal myself. Lovely.

Unlike someone like Anideshi, I could simply generate energy from my body, I had to channel it through the use of circles. I learned how to draw these circles from the Middle East, just as I learned mudras and chants from my travels to China and Japan.

I mentally cycled through the magical circles I knew.

The three I most commonly used were the Empty Circle (which usually had no risk, since it just channeled my own power, but since it did, I'd probably pass out trying to heal myself), the Solomon's Seal (a powerful holy circle which drew power from divine sources rather than myself. Since it did, though, it was like a prayer, and I was wary of using prayers for personal gain), and the Pentagram (which symbolized the balance of elements bound within the eternal circle of life; unfortunately, I could only use it to summon elemental magic within a radius. Healing required understanding about how to properly combine these elements). Having thought about each of these, I had to rule them all out and consider my less known ones.

Of course, there were plenty of them that were forbidden to my use. Most of them because they broke Hebrew Ten Commandments or some other religious laws I'd picked up from my travels. The most common taboo was of course, causing death. I knew one called the Death Square from out East (basically it was based on the concept that a square having four sides, and "four" was a homophone for "death" in Chinese. Inside the square was of course a person's name, written four times across the square. It was a delayed effect, and could be countered fairly easily even by a person without magic, not to mention it was an equal sacrifice that would take the life of the caster), but that definitely wouldn't help. There were a whole slew of evil circles around, but most of those I never used and did well to forget. There was one that wasn't so much evil, as nearly impossible for anyone, at least anyone human to use. It was called the Unicursal Hexagram (I used it only once, when I was perfectly healthy and thereafter coughed up a gallon of blood. This circle could do something completely divorced from natural laws, it could create or destroy matter, something science said couldn't be done. When I used it I made a lotus blossom, which is still in bloom, and probably will be for long after I die). The thing I used earlier was called a Paradox Circle, it banished aberrant creatures using sutras or scripture (the reason it was called a "paradox" was because there was usually something contradictory, such as talking about the sun when there were a bunch of lunar symbols. Lining the outside it usually had the Ouroboros, the snake eating its own tail, which was itself a sort of paradox).

Most of the rest of the circles I knew were so impossibly complicated I couldn't draw them, so pretty much all I had left was a Dispel Seal and the Alchemy Circle. When I thought about it, I only had about eight circles I could use, and three of those would hurt or kill me. Since I wasn't under a curse, the only one actually of any use was the Alchemy Circle. I healed my wounds, and took a nap. I had just nodded off when I heard a knock on my window.
    Last edited by bulmabriefs144; 1st July 2011 at 08:17 AM.

Chapter 13

Perhaps you're wondering why a villain like me would be doing knocking on the door of someone who they just attacked several hours ago. Well, that's complicated. I could tell you how "I didn't mean it" or some nonsense like that. I meant to attack them, and loved every second of it. But now I needed her help, if I was to take my revenge on the Druids.

"Ummmm, who exactly are you?" she stared blankly at me.

I'd forgotten that she'd never actually seen me. "Oh, I'm sorry. I am Utnapishtim. I was the one who sent the Heresies after you guys."

The next thing I knew, I was on the ground. What happened? "As I was saying, I'd like to make a deal with you..."

The next day, I woke up. "Do go on," she said.

"I'm afraid..."

"What manner of deal could you make with me, anyway? You tried to attack me, and now you expect me to go along with some deal of yours?" I could feel the hate in her eyes.

"I apologize. I did what I did to see whether you two were worthy of my consideration. After seeing your power, I believe you will be tremendous help to my cause." I looked at her earnestly.

"Tell me what you intend to do, and perhaps I'll think about it," she said as she stared back.

"I need your magic, and that of your friends, if I'm to take down the Druids," I explained.

"And I suppose you'll continue bothering each of us until we agree. Is that it? Well thanks for the offer, but unless Anideshi agrees to this too, I can't see this working out. I won't say no, but you'd better ask her too."

"I promise not to send anything more after you, but you should know, there are those in with the Druids who will also hunt your group down. They are after Anideshi to join their little group, after her mom abandoned her post to go raise a family," I declared.

I walked away dramatically, with cape billowing in the wind and crows flying nearby my face. I wish they'd stop doing that.

Chapter 14

I opened a book of spells, and tried to forget what just happened. Well no, that wasn't right. It was a book explaining how magic like mine worked, and it was a loan from the geology teacher. He wasn't really what students thought he was, and he was almost as involved in this as I was. Nevermind that now, though, I had just reached a crucial point in the book.

"Energy for a ritualized circle does not actually come from the circle itself," I read, "the circle is merely a symbol so that the caster with knowledge but little in the way of direct control can channel the symbolic imagery into a specific effect. The energy itself comes from the caster, and from leylines under the ground." The name of the book was Understanding Ritual Circles and Leylines. It had plenty of diagrams I could use, and I felt as if I was on the verge of realizing a circle unique to myself. The basic concept I had in mind was one large circle to transmit an effect, which was tied to several receiving circles. At this point, though the idea was rough, and I couldn't see this working in many battles unless I had a day in advance to draw them.

Any joy I felt at being able to learn these effects was short-lived however. I remembered the man's words. "I need your magic, and that of your friends, if I'm to take down the Druids." If he just meant Anideshi, wouldn't he have said friend rather than friends?

Chapter 15

Today, I learned I was capable of something I hadn't thought possible. It started during a phone call to Megami. She was telling me about how Azrael finally got asked out, and what we should wear for the event. I was normally very interested in what Megami had to say, but lately something was distracting me.

"...And that's why I think you should go with blue dress, and I should go with a matching red blouse and skirt. It'll go so well with my hair, and your eyes, don't you think? Are you listening, Chrissie?"

"Yea. I just, I need to take care of something now. I'll call back later to plan some more. Maybe then we can get our hair styled too." I responded.

My hands were tingling again. You know how I talked about how sometimes I could heal with a touch? Well, this was the drawback. My hands got a burning sensation every now and then. If I didn't heal something by the end of the day, some strange wounds would start opening up in my hands. But the way healing things made me feel was so embarrassing. It was, well, arousing, particularly if I heal someone else. Healing myself was only a mild tingle, but the utter joy of making another person better would literally cause me to moan in ecstasy.

I was starting to get a bit uncomfortable with this feeling, so to cool down the sensation I dunked my hands in water instead. Rather than distract me from the feeling, my hands seemed to cut right through the water. I pull them out, and looked at the glass. The water had neatly parted right down the center!

As I said before, my first name is actually Jessica, and since my full name sounds like a female version of Jesus Christ, I sometimes wonder about stuff like what would happen if the crucifixion actually happened to a woman. Same message of sacrifice, of course, but there is also the added misogyny of Jewish culture at the time.

All of these powers seemed to be based on touch, so I decided to do an experiment. Our house has a sliding window leading to a small balcony. I touched it, and healed it, but sort of in reverse. The glass shattered with a jarring high-pitched sound.

"What's going on up there?" my mom called up after me.

"Nothing!" I said, as calmly as I could manage while panicking.

"Okay, but come down in about an hour for dinner, okay? It's stroganoff."

Remembering the feelings I normally had when healing, I carefully slid each piece of glass into place, as best as I could remember. Given only an hour to work with, and having some pieces slip into weird places (like under the rug), it was like a complicated jigsaw puzzle, but as I let go of each piece, it reworked itself as if there was some strange combination of magnetism and superglue. I stared vacantly at a glass screen with no evidence that it had ever been broken and collapsed. No, not in exhaustion, I was feeling really good right now. The kind that makes it hard to stand.

Give me a second.
    Last edited by bulmabriefs144; 10th July 2011 at 11:01 AM.

Chapter 16

It's rough being at the other end of a phone conversation where the person is preoccupied. You just get the sense they're not into you, when it could have just been a bad day. I don't really blame her though, I probably did come across as a bit too intense on the phone, as well as whatever might have been going on back there. Why, sometimes I even come across as a narcissist.

I powder my nose a bit, and add a bit more shadow to my eyes. It makes me look a touch emo, but truthfully, that how I'm feeling now. It was supposed to be a date day starting with a makeover, then hanging out with friends, then maybe just the two of us would hang out and go shopping. Instead, our friends ended up in the school hospital, and she seemed so out of it, like there was something distracted her from the conversation.

I wish I could have done something! I remember my mother's words, when she saw how much being arranged as head of the dojo unsettled me. She said, "You can transform into anything you want." Only it wasn't that simple, it took massive dieting, learning to use makeup, relearning how to dress, and a dozen other things to turn me from a manly man, to someone who looked like a girl. I couldn't just transform.

But somewhere along the way, I discovered that other things could.

I don't know when it was, or perhaps I always could do it, but at midway through the harsh exercise of sculpting my body into something softer and leaner, I noticed weird things I could do. I could transform objects, even though my own body was off limits. I didn't really understand this ability, so it took several years to master. Lately, I think I had.

I felt a feeling deep within me. It was the same one that drove me to become an almost full-time crossdresser, with the exception of course of all the dates I spent with Chrissie. I channeled this feeling into the air around me, molding it into something solid. The air crackled and shifted, and literally, out of thin air, a metal object began to form. The metal gained shape. I knew I'd had too much an otaku influence from my parents, as the metal formed into something looking an awful lot like a Keyblade. Just for the heck of it, I tried altering my clothing next. I'd been wearing jeans, a light blouse, and just a bra and panties. Right now, I probably just as easily could have just been dressed as a boy, but I wasn't. Molding matter again, I joined the jeans together as a skirt, compressed the skirt (which was long) into a shorter, thicker multi-tier skirt. Changes I did seemed to follow some law of matter, I couldn't make something more or less than it was (when I made the keyblade, air seemed to rush out of the room, leaving it stuffy). I then merged the cloth of the blouse with the cloth of the jeans, making them a blend of the textures. All of a sudden, rather than two pieces of clothing, I had a short dress. I dyed it red with my power. Well, if the date was still on, I could still go to it with the red dress I'd planned. If not, I could always beat stuff up with this keyblade, and look good while doing it. Well, the date wasn't for a few more days, so while I had the dress on...
    Last edited by bulmabriefs144; 22nd July 2011 at 07:40 PM.

(having to retro-fix a bit, as my story doesn't make much sense. Students have dorms, but they're day students. They go home at night, yet somehow Megami and Christina were roommates)

Chapter 17

I decided to go for a walk, to clear my head. It was true that these strange powers of healing and destruction developed recently, but I felt like I had possessed them all my life. Was I in fact some sort of reincarnation, as my parents believed?

There was more than one reason why Megami and I were close, besides being roommates. Not only was our dormroom together, but our houses were close by each other.

Let me explain. It would seem strange to most people that people would have houses if they were in dorms. Well, technically they're called "campus residence" since they aren't quite on campus, but even with the short walk off campus to get to them, they're still called "dorms." Since the bulk of students lived close to the college (it being in a built-up yet remote city), the college officially stated that students should sleep in their rooms at night. But after one student brought it to the attention of the schoolboard that their parents were in poor health and they wanted to visit them periodically, the college amended this to "students may stay at home after official class hours, but the college is not responsible for any costs this may entail." In other words, if someone wanted to fly home by jet, they were on their own. As it was, most students used their dorm as a temporary study room to hang out with other students who roomed with them. Others, like Azrael, stayed full time in their dorms, except maybe during major holidays. I heard also that Azrael had asked a double size room with no roommates. Whenever I went in there, I was slightly weirded out. There was a massive library of obscure books, mostly magical tomes (and I wouldn't be surprised if she drew a few magical circles in her free time).

Our houses couldn't be more different, even though they were close. Ours was something out in the outskirts of the forests. It was oddly modern, all glass and metal, with balconies and such, but it was also strangely away from most major roads. My parents didn't want to be bothered, since they were religious fanatics. If you crossed a short forest, you would see an entirely different world. Megami's house was quite accessible. He had a dojo nearby a Japanese-style ryokan hotel. Needless to say, there were several major roads leading to it.

Megami and I shared dorm rooms for most of the morning and afternoon hours, until all classes were over, and everyone who was going to go home did. The two of us hung out casually for the first year in college, back when I thought he was a girl. Back then, I probably would have told you I hated men. I'd experienced the typical aggressive strong masculine guy, and had never thought a guy could actually be kind, soft, and caring. We spent the bulk of the first year gossiping together, hanging out at malls and shopping together, and other such things. I should have found it odd that Megami never let me come in while "she" was changing, but I never noticed. One day, however, I walked in at just such a moment. I blushed and walked out of course, before walking in again and accusing him of lying about being a male. He of course pointed to school records which had be listed on even his student ID as "male." Why was he allowed to dorm with me? Blame the overly-permissive and screwed up policies of our school.

Still, I'm glad it happened. We had the best times together since, and I could do anything on a date that I could do with a boy or a girl. I was about ready to walk over personally to apologize about earlier. Also, I wanted to see the dress Megami had prepared for me. His designs were pretty good.

I was a bit surprised then, to see him in the red version of the planned outfit fighting some strange creatures with what looked like a giant key. "Hey," I said, "can I help?"

(Gonna switch to Azrael, and then later explain how everyone got here)

Chapter 18

What he said back there really bothered me, I suppose, because without even thinking, I left my room in the campus in the middle of the night to rush off towards their house. The oddest part as the type of person who always plans ahead and prefers reason to emotion, was not even that I was going out without the slightest clue of what to do once I got there. It was more likely related to the fact that tears were running down my face as I considered possible things that could have gone wrong. "Please be all right!" I said desperately to myself, fully aware that talking to myself was another sign I wasn't fully rational at the moment.

As open as I was to odd ideas at the moment, nothing prepared me for the sight I beheld.

In one corner, weighing at roughly 125 lb was Megumi (I have no idea why he's so thin, but he is), dressed literally to kill, and holding a magical construct. Magic is divided into conjuration, evocation (similar to conjuration, but conjuration is summoning objects, while evocation is summoning energy), illusion, transmutation, enchantment, disenchantment, and exorcism/necromancy. If I had to say, this wasn't conjured up, but transmuted from something else. On the other side, was Christina, using some sort of holy aura combined with martial arts/kickboxing it looked like. One of the remaining creatures started toward me, so I drew a simple Five Elements pentagram, summoned a fire within the circle, and sent it forward a few inches, dodging the blowback effect. It wasn't like I could do any more range than this, given the limitations of magic circles, since it wasn't like I was Anideshi.

Speak of the devil. I heard a rustling in the bushes, and she popped out. Staring at the scene for a few moments, she said, "Wow, the gang's all here! You guys have powers too?"

Chapter 19

What I saw in the clearing shocked me a little. I'd just finished a few hours of "mild" training with Mom, which left me sore and exhausted. Now after seeing some bright lights in the forest nearby, I rushed over to see what was going on. The campus is far enough that Azrael probably needed to drive over, and my house is a decent distance from the other two, but something just felt weird so I rushed over.

The four elements I control can be combined in various ways. Each of them is in a spectrum, for example, after a certain temperature, it is not longer warm and becomes cold. Likewise, earth is based on joining forces together such as things like magnetism and force (not to mention it can be used to move earth and make plants grow in various ways), while wind was often concerned in tearing stuff apart or cutting at things. Also they are based upon various emotions, earth was based on the need to protect, fire was passion, water was sadness/compassion, and wind was joy. When you mixed the elements together, you got lightning, but the feeling was weird. It was like I was killing these monsters with love. I could see why it was so shocking that Emperor Palpatine laughed smugly, unless you were punishing someone because you loved them and wanted them to grow (something like a God with regard to trees and such), it was almost perverse. After doing this once, I decided to switch to cutting blades of wind to dispense with the rest.

Well, I'm sure you know the rest. I helped the others clean up the last of those monsters. The next day, each of us acted like nothing had happened, at least during classes. We had plenty of time to talk about things in the afternoon.

That afternoon however, we had lots to talk about. I found out about Azrael's visit with the stranger, Megumi and Tina heard about our little skirmish with the last group of monsters, we heard tales of developing powers on the part of Megumi and Tina respectively, and they heard of my training. I couldn't help but wonder about this larger plot. Why were all of us involved in this, and how would they react to the proposal to join in that fight against the other Druids?

(Who knows? I haven't done this in weeks. I think I've gotten bored with it)
    Last edited by bulmabriefs144; 13th September 2011 at 11:01 PM.