Thread: Bowmaster Questions

Hidden Street Bowmaster Questions

(Post re-created as a new, more-appropriate thread: The Bowmaster's Handbook.)
    Last edited by Aeca; 10th July 2011 at 02:21 PM.
    Inactive (as of 2011-08-28 YMD)
    W i n g

For if I had Wings, I would surely fall.
    Aecarus ◦ Lv70 Ranger ◦ Chaos
    Lv7 Herbalism ◦ Lv5 Alchemy
    Aecarus the Azure Phoenix

This is coming from a veteran level 164 bowmaster who has played MapleStory for over 4 years now and have lived through the Big Bang. And I also mentioned this before...

Arrow Blow now officially beats Double Shot. It is better in every way in terms of training. Now unless you are planning to go bossing through first job and second job, I recommend Arrow Blow. And if you really are so insistent on maxing Double Shot then please oh please put 0 in Focus and put the rest in Arrow Blow. Focus is one of the skills I mentioned as worthless from the beginning so it isn't even worth putting points in.

With that said now to move on to your 2nd job. It's fine because you're gonna max everything. Using Power Knock-Back is alright but it is no longer a necessity as a replacement for bow whacking since there is no longer a minimum range for any skills. You can Arrow Bomb an enemy if they're in a point blank range.

Now your third job build. It's good. I like it. Leave it.

With your fourth job build... What the hell. Even if it's not the order you're following, I'll start from the top and work down your list. Bow Expert is fine. It's a core skill. Vengeance... I thought it would be useful but all it has been for me is an inconvenience. It works at the worst times for me with it being level 1 and I assume blasting away any enemy you touch with a mediocre damage skill can cause issues if you are trying to avoid aggroing everything. It's not worth it. Marksmanship is a good skill with it ignoring mob defense and increasing your max HP. I think of it as one of the Bowmaster Core Skills. Maple Warrior is fine if you plan to be that filthy stinkin rich to buy the books by the end of your archer career. You're okay there I guess. Sharp Eyes is fine if you don't max it first. It's not as good as it used to be and I'm guessing it should be maxed by maybe 150 or mid 140s? Yeah around there. Now with Dragon's Breath... Hmm... All it is is a mobbing rush skill. It rushes mobs, not bosses. It's not the warrior Rush or any other character's Rush. It's a regular-monster-only Rush and leveling it up past 21 is pointless. Very very very pointless. It is of no use to you after it gets a 6 mob count. I'm level 164 and mine is still level 1. Hurricane is fine. It's a core skill and your main 4th job attacking skill and should be maxed early. About Phoenix, I don't understand your problem with it. It's better than a couple other skills you wanted to waste SP on. Like Hamstring... Hamstring is the worst of the worst in Bowmaster skills. It is useless. Completely and utterly useless. DO NOT MAX IT EARLY. It should be the very very very LAST skill you are raising. Phoenix is more useful than this piece of crap skill. The little "speed reduction" on mobs is pointless since the mob should be dead really quickly. Okay... Yeah do not get Hamstring. Concentrate is good, but I maxed it after I finished my core skills... Oh. I just maxed it actually. At level 164. I'm starting on Maple Warrior now. You should have 1 in Hero's Will by lvl 160 I think if you plan to HT. It can save your life. Max it at the end of your Bowmaster career.

So in all your plan needs some work. (Especially in learning what skills are good and what skills are bad)
    Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Quote Originally Posted by kaglover1 View Post
    But now I'm like screw that, I'm skipping to the part where Bella finally combines with Edward

Thanks, this is exactly the sort of feedback I was looking for.

Yeah, I just wasn't sure on Double Shot vs Arrow Blow. If Arrow Blow is better, than I'm fine with switching those two around. Besides, I'd only be using Double Shot until Arrow Bomb anyways.

As for second job, yeah it all gets maxed anyways.

Third job: okay great.

Fourth job: Yeah I have absolutely 0 experience here. In fact I can't even recall ever advancing to a Ranger. I know I had listed to max those useless skills, but that was because I was draining out Phoenix, and implying the useless ones would be added last.

At this point, as far as your critique goes, the only thing left to work on is fourth job. Ever since you showed me that Jump blog, omar, I've been trying to retract my hatred about Phoenix' bright red. Honestly, this was the main reason, but also was the fact I thought it too was useless. I know I will have to go with Phoenix post-Jump, so I might as well implement that now.

Let me make some modifications...

~ ◦ ~

Is this any better? I wrongfully made the assumption that Vengeance was an active switch on/off buff, like Teleport Mastery. The fact that it is passive repulses me beyond comprehension.

Third Job:
    - Thrust [6/10] (gives 18 spd, and with +12 from bow, +10 from usable = 40)
    - Mortal Blow [20/20]
    - Puppet [20/20]
    - Inferno [20/20]
    - Arrow Rain [30/30]
    - Silver Hawk [15/20] (gets trumped by Phoenix, its successor, in 4th Job)
    - Strafe [30/30]
    - Evasion Boost [10/10]

Fourth Job:
    - Bow Expert [30/30]
    - Vengeance [0/10]
    - Marksmanship [10/10]
    - Maple Warrior [30/30]
    - Sharp Eyes [30/30]
    - Dragon's Breath [21/30]
    - Hurricane [30/30]
    - Phoenix [30/30]
    - Hamstring [25/30]
    - Concentrate [30/30]
    - Hero's Will [5/5]

~ ◦ ~

For 3rd Job: I'm guessing the first point goes in to Inferno, then you max Arrow Rain, then max Inferno. Definitely not sure after this, nothing else seems very helpful. Maybe Mortal Blow maxed? Puppet? Probably these two in either order, then Thrust/Evasion Boost. I'm guessing Strafe is last, or maybe Hawk.

As for 4th Job, I'm not going to put anything in place until I can start up again and actually get the feel for an Archer. However, my guess would be Hurricane maxed asap, then Bow Expert, then SE? Not sure whether SE has abetter effect on DPS or Bow Expert. Well those two in either order, then Marksmanship, then Concentrate. I doubt MW is a big deal now, because you'll probably be at LHC and someone else is bound to have MW anyways. Oh, 1 pt in Heroe's Will early like you mentioned omar, and another in DrB as well, for rushing (can rush 4 at Lv1). Then the more useless stuff comes, like Hamstring and Phoenix, and MW could be spread out through here assuming you can afford it...

I'm kind of foolish in the sense that, when I'm waiting on something I'm really looking forward to, I start to get in to it a bit too much. This thread is a good example. It began as a question thread and, from my editing the first post, has turned in to more of a personal guide. I think I'm just having too much fun with formatting.

Feel free to give feedback/suggestions on the style of what will most likely turn in to an intricate Bow Master guide, once I have the proper knowledge/experience to justify what I have written.
    Last edited by Aeca; 26th June 2011 at 01:20 AM.
    Inactive (as of 2011-08-28 YMD)
    W i n g

For if I had Wings, I would surely fall.
    Aecarus ◦ Lv70 Ranger ◦ Chaos
    Lv7 Herbalism ◦ Lv5 Alchemy
    Aecarus the Azure Phoenix