Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pally Pally Paladin

We're in a heap o'trouble Tesiqurasa's Avatar

Default Pally Pally Paladin

Okay, again my indecision kicks in, but I've so far dedicated quite a bit financially to the char, so it probably will make it further than my other lulz 4th jobs. Now that I'm in a server that actually has Blast 20/30, I'm excited for Paladin, but I have a few questions.

There are just so many variations to go on in 3rd job that I'm not entirely sure which is ideal. Here's my current plan:

I'm bringing Fire Charge to lvl 6 for the duration, then rushing Charged Blow up to 30. Since it takes 6 points just to upgrade 1 CO, I'm going for the extra 4-8% damage buff with max CB early instead of waiting until the end of 3rd job.

After that, I'm pulling Lightning Charge to 6 for a quick bonus (since the first point gives 6% and I need a reasonable duration). After that, I plan on going every other point for the two charges until they're both lvl 18. After looking through my training list, I don't see any ice-weaks that stand out, and since CB stuns anyway, I see little point in maxing Ice. However, if I forgot about some godly ice-weak or fire-strong training, please let me know.

After those, I'm going to work on Combat Orders, mainly since nothing else is really going to help my immediate damage. 5 HP Recovery, then max CO.

After CO is maxed, I'm going to throw 1 point into Shield Mastery (to activate the +2 for 30% extra def), and then I'll bring Ice Charge to 18 should I ever need to freeze or face fire-strong mobs.

Finally, I'm going to do the "cleanup points". HP Recovery to 8-Shield Mastery to 19-Magic Crash to 18-HP Recovery to 10 (in case of desperate pot-cooldown situations), Magic Crash to 19.

Final skillset: 18 Shield Mastery
    30 Charged Blow
    18 Fire Charge
    18 Lightning Charge
    18 Ice Charge
    19 Magic Crash
    10 HP Recovery
    20 Combat Orders

Basically, I want to know if there's a glaring flaw in my build. I'm pouring basically everything I have in every server (financially) into the char; would heavy funding change SP build at all? Is there something massive that I obliviously missed?
    Last edited by Tesiqurasa; 30th June 2011 at 07:34 AM.

Spoiler!

So what I'm seeing is you plan to max Charged Blow, then Combat Orders, and then I'm guessing Fire Charge? Currently the Fire Charge + Lightning Charge combo is the best through the White Knight 3rd job because of the lack of elementally weak monsters. All you need is the damage boost from these two elements. Your SP build I think adds up to 152. Correct my math if I'm wrong. So just take one out of Recovery or Shield Mastery and it's alright.
    Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Quote Originally Posted by kaglover1 View Post
    But now I'm like screw that, I'm skipping to the part where Bella finally combines with Edward

We're in a heap o'trouble Tesiqurasa's Avatar

Ah yea, it was 152. Just took one out of SM

I'm pulling Fire and Lightning Charge to 18 just so Combat Orders has something to do once it's maxed, and so I don't have to spam the buffs up too often.

Spoiler!

If you're getting a non-lightning element it's best to sync it up with lighting, that way you can keep them squared off. I'd go for 6-10 Fire ANDLightning Charge, then Charged blow. You're likely doing Jesters, then Mp3 Right? I'd avoid Ice charge Until late 3rd job. Since the most prominent spots for Ice Charge are pretty mediocre. And I'm pretty sure Lightning and Fire at the same time hits all of MP3 for Extra Damage.

Someone doesn't know how Paladin charges work!~

Well okay. Here's how it is. Fire, Ice and Holy charge are all separated and cannot be used together. They each give a certain damage increase and give all attacks an elemental attribute. Yep yep everything you know. Lightning charge is a special case. It also does the same as those three, except the elemental attribute is only visible when it is not being stacked with Fire, Ice, or Holy charges. When it is being stacked Lightning charge acts as a "recessive" element. It does not have any attribute and only the "dominant" element changes your attribute. The only part of the Lightning charge you get is the average damage boost when it is being stacked.

For example. If he was at a map with two enemies. One was fire weak and one was lightning weak. He casts Fire Charge and Lightning Charge, making them stack. When he attacks you see the Fire animations and when he hits Fire enemies he does an increased damage from the elemental advantage. BUT when he attacks the lightning weak enemy he does the average damage that he would do to a normal enemy with no elemental disadvantage. If he wants to take advantage of the Lightning Charge enemy, he needs to sacrifice Fire Charge.
    Last edited by Omar Ranger; 30th June 2011 at 07:57 AM.
    Spoiler!

Spoiler!

But now I'm like screw that, I'm skipping to the part where Bella finally combines with Edward

It's generally best, if you choose that path, to instead go 6 Fire, 30 CB, then 18 Fire before starting on Lightning. It gives you one less button to screw around with, and dual charging isn't as awesome as people make it seem. Only when both charges are close to max does anything actually happen, so it's much more beneficial to just get Fire to 18.

Combat Orders can also be pushed back a bit - I'd actually recommend that. HP Increase and Shield Mastery are more important than the measly damage increase you get from level 20 Fire and Lightning, which won't help much while training. People might want it for party training, but they're just overrating the skill. Even in end third job people will ask for CO, but unless they did a similar thing with their builds and left skills at 18 it does nothing. Overall, it helps you specifically during third job, but only really shines for everyone during fourth job.

Funding doesn't change the build much. Some people may argue that, with more money to spend on pots, you can max CO earlier. But look at the damage bonus you get from two extra points in Fire and Lightning, and wonder whether that would make you kill a monster in one less hit. If it does, go for it. If it doesn't, you're wasting points on something you don't need so early. Paladins aren't a class to be damage whoring.

Charged Blow is going to be his best mobbing skill he'll get so maxing it soon is better than holding it off. I would understand how he would only get 6 Fire at first for a 1 minute duration so he can use Charged Blow. It makes more sense.
    Spoiler!

Spoiler!

I know. I never said anything against that.

Shield Mastery won't matter until near-4th just as much as Combat Orders though.
    Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Neither of them are very useful until near fourth job. I just think that Shield Mastery actually does something mid third job for an unfunded player like myself, compared to Combat Orders.