Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: Hidden-Street Hardware Buyer's Guide

Those memory modules are really tall. You might want to consider getting shorter ones in case you ever want to upgrade your cooler.

Still wondering whether or not I should get a cooler. Maybe I can live with the stock fan.

Quote Originally Posted by blankaex View Post
    Still wondering whether or not I should get a cooler. Maybe I can live with the stock fan.
    The stock fans from Intel are always a little bit better than AMD's CPU coolers. That doesn't mean that they're "good" though. You're not going to overheat your chip if you don't buy an aftermarket cooler. Of course this is assuming you don't overclock. (Which in your situation is absolutely unnecessary.) The only downside to not getting an aftermarket cooler is the noise from the stock fan. Which I don't believe will be an issue, and definitely shouldn't be a determining factor.
    The stock cooler will do fine for you, no worries. But don't worry if you do ever do want or need one. They're affordable, easy to install (in most cases) and it's usually almost a one-size-fits-all situation. If you're not sure, the specifications are on the cooler's description, so you can see if it supports your chip.

Guide Updates (8/1/2013):
    1. Links updated
    2. End of life products removed or replaced
    3. NVIDIA 760 added to Section 5 recommendations
    4. AMD FX-9370 and AMD FX-9590 added to Section 2 recommendations
    5. Seasonic FL2 series PSUs added to Section 6 recommendations
    6. Removed Section 13 sound card recommendations due to lack of content
    7. Added UPS information to Section 13
    8. Edited information in Section 12 Keyboards
    9. Added detailed information to Section 12 Mice
    10. This guide is now licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License. If you possess an out of date copy of the guide, please update your copy to this version or later.
    11. Full disclaimer added in new Section 18

There were some major non-technical updates this month. Foremost of which is the fact that I've decided the license the guide under a Creative Commons license. Full details are now in the guide for those who are curious.

The upshot of the license is that you may make copies, edit, and share the guide as long as credit is given, it is not used for commercial purposes, and you make your edits available under a similar license.

I also did a huge overhaul on Section 13 and completely removed the sound card section replacing it with a section on UPSes and I almost completely rewrote the mouse section to cover more details regarding the technology.

Guide Updates (9/15/2013):
    1. Links updated

After last month's excitement I felt that a smaller update would be good.

Banned

So how about that R9 290x.

I'm not sure about that 95C operating temperature
    Butts.

213 181 178 166 165 164 162 152 147 135 134 130 125 123 123 120 120 104 100 100

I hear this thing is coming out soon/has come out recently. It looks pretty cool.

Spoiler!

Guide Updates (11/2/2013):
    1. Links updated
    3. General update and grammar check for all content sections
    4. AMD R9 and R7 graphics cards added to section 5 recommendations
    5. Section 14 builds updated with R9 and R7 graphics cards where appropriate

Sorry I skipped last month's update, I was a bit distracted with some life events (and a little bit of gaming). The past two months saw some major changes in the graphics area that warranted a full of the content sections (if I'm doing one why not do them all right?).

Enjoy!

Laptop's starting to crash more than often now, hoping to build my own computer near the end of the month with a fair coming up. Looking to get something ~$1200 to run games like Starcraft 2 and newer on high settings without dropping below 60-80fps on a 1920x1080 monitor.
    I've been doing some reading about, including the guide! Any suggestions for anything? Hoping to save as much on other components and dishing it all out on the cpu and gpu

Should be able to get most parts, checked against price lists of local shops

e: got started on a little last night, here's what I got:

Spoiler!
    Last edited by AcrylicBlaze; 14th November 2013 at 12:17 PM.