Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Hidden-Street Hardware Buyer's Guide

Icon11

January Updates:
    1. Links updated
    2. EoL products remove or replaced
    3. Fractal Design Cases Added Back (disappeared from newegg for a while)
    4. Added Section 17: Feedback with my contact info
    5. Hope everyone had a nice holiday

It's about time for people to start wondering what happened to this month's update (if anyone actually watches for these updates). I was holding off on updating the guide in the hope that Nvidia will release their reply to AMD's 7970, but that doesn't appear to be happening :P. In lieu of this and a relatively uneventful month in terms of new tech, I won't be doing an update. For those of you who are curious, the 7950 did come out though, so here's a link to that on newegg. This card will be added to the guide when I update it for March (hopefully by then there'll be at least news on Nvidia's release date).

There was a leak of nVidia's new card. I forgot exactly what it's called, other than the obvious GT- prefix. But people have been saying that it takes after its predecessors in the sense of high power consumption and heating.
    Butts.

213 181 178 166 165 164 162 152 147 135 134 130 125 123 123 120 120 104 100 100

March Updates:
    1. Links updated
    3. Added Neowin’s series of guides on smartphone hardware (ongoing) to Section 16
    4. The high end power supply recommendation list was starting to become too long so I removed several power supplies. That’s not to say the power supplies I removed were bad; only that there were too many of that type in that price range. The removed power supplies will be listed here for March then removed from the guide completely.

April Updates:
    1. Links updated
    3. Updated Neowin’s series of guides on smartphone hardware (ongoing) to Section 16
    4. Added ArsTechnica’s introduction to quantum computing guide to Section 16
    5. Condensed SSD recommendations in Section 7 to be by series where appropriate
    6. Added Nvidia 680 graphics cards to section 5

May Updates:
    1. Links updated
    3. Added Intel Ivy Bridge processors to Section 2 recommendations
    4. Added H77 and Z77 motherboards to Section 3 recommendations
    5. Added Intel SSD 330 series to Section 7 recommendations
    6. Added NZXT Source 220 to Section 9 recommendations
    7. Updated some outdated information in Sections 2 and 3
    8. Ivy Bridge has not been introduced to the Section 14 builds yet because I would like to see more reviews on H77 and Z77 motherboards first.

Icon11

Guide Updates (6/2/2012):
    1. Links updated
    3. Added XFX ProSeries PSUs
    4. Added Gamers Nexus’ great hardware guides to the additional reading section
    5. Updated content sections where necessary
    6. Added a subtopic on microarchitecture codenames to Section 2
    7. Added the 4th part of Neowin’s Smartphone Hardware Guide to Section 16

In addition to official updates, I have one more thing to say to those of you who actually read the forum thread. I'm in the beginning stages of planning a major upgrade to the guide, and I should be ready to be asking for help by next month's update. I'll probably make a thread in Bit-Tech for it so the guide thread doesn't get cluttered. You'll have to wait till next month for me to confirm the project publicly, but I might've hinted to some of you what I'm planning to do already.

Icon11

Guide Updates (7/1/2012):
    1. Links updated
    3. Added a link to TFT Central in Section 16
    4. Currently working to turn this guide into a website! <- see July 2012 update post for details

Wait did you read that 4th one right? Maybe you should read it again. Yup... you read it right. I'm currently in the process of changing the guide and all that is in it into a website. This process is very time consuming, and there are a lot of factors that I am taking into consideration. Currently, I do not have any target or expected date for this to be done. The amount of work that goes into doing the guide from month to month will depend on how busy I am, how tired I am, how frustrated I am, and how good the anime I'm watching happens to be. Yes I make this project sound like it's not very important to me, but it is. It's just I have a life to live too and making a website is quite difficult (if you've ever done it you understand me). This is also the first website I'm ever creating so I'm working hard to make it good, but I'm also stuck doing a lot of code lookup (I'm coding this site manually) which slows down progress. I've created a thread here since it's the most technical forum that my guide is posted on describing this project in more detail and requesting aid in certain areas. I'll continue to use that thread as a resource to post questions or ask for advice as I build the site. I'll also post updates on the site build here occasionally, but since this thread's purpose isn't really to discuss web design I'll refrain from posting more than that.

Was thinking of building my own computer and then I remembered this thread! The power supply section (the PSU calculator) was very helpful!

Guide Updates (8/5/2012):
    1. Links updated
    3. Added Azza Genesis 9000 case
    4. Brought friend on to do design. Considering security concerns and php/mysql usage. Focusing on how to scrape prices off newegg automatically.

As a side note, the guide turned 1 year old this past month :D. Woo 12 months of helping out new builders ^-^.