Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Non-english speakers in games

Im with jon and omar here. If ur in china, and trying to play a game, u should speak chinese.

BuckshotEye-8x Cannoneer
    Destresation- 8x Aran
    [05-06, 19:18] Tesiqurasa: jitenp is hot <----took you long enough

We're in a heap o'trouble Tesiqurasa's Avatar

It's a matter of courtesy, but effort should be shown on both sides if there is no official language. Visitors should attempt to familiarize themselves with the common language, and "residents" should make an effort to help them out a little.

Spoiler!

Hard to help people who won't learn.
    Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Quote Originally Posted by kaglover1 View Post
    But now I'm like screw that, I'm skipping to the part where Bella finally combines with Edward

Maple "Global" doesn't even let you play if your IP address is located outside America/Canada/Australia. They said it was something to reduce the amount of people on servers, and make different versions for other places, but it could also be to keep non-English speakers out of the game.

I don't think of this as a good thing though. I live in Australia, but for the past year and a half, and the next half a year, I have been and will be living in Vietnam. So, I can't play Maple unless I use an internet bypass, which makes my maple crash every couple of hours. I mean, god, they keep making new worlds, and expecting others to play them, and then wonder why no one makes characters in them. It's called letting the rest of the world play to fill it up.

If the game is in English, people with common sense would know not to play it unless they could speak English. I mean, how much fun is a game you don't understand?

Most "residents" won't help "visitors" as seen in most game communities.

Always the Bridesmaid... bulmabriefs144's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by blankaex View Post
    Maple "Global" doesn't even let you play if your IP address is located outside America/Canada/Australia. They said it was something to reduce the amount of people on servers, and make different versions for other places, but it could also be to keep non-English speakers out of the game.

I don't think of this as a good thing though. I live in Australia, but for the past year and a half, and the next half a year, I have been and will be living in Vietnam. So, I can't play Maple unless I use an internet bypass, which makes my maple crash every couple of hours. I mean, god, they keep making new worlds, and expecting others to play them, and then wonder why no one makes characters in them. It's called letting the rest of the world play to fill it up.

If the game is in English, people with common sense would know not to play it unless they could speak English. I mean, how much fun is a game you don't understand?
    I think it should be a language rather than regional barrier. Ask a series of easy questions ("What is your name" "What is your favorite color" "What is the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow?") that anyone who actually knows the language can answer. It should connect to the nearest functional server based off that language or something.

Ryuuji

Quote Originally Posted by ithrow4luk View Post
    This
    If the primary language is English (the game is all written in english) then it's just common sense that you should know english before playing said game.

Sadly 100% not the case in other areas. Otherwise, why do employers hire migrant workers that can't speak an ounce of english?

We don't have an 'Official' Language in the sense that it's the law to speak that language. However our main language is American English and our second most spoken language is Spanish, third is most likely French.

With that said, it is expected that as far as most things legal go you get a translator or you speak English. Things that are 'global' are different.

Also English isn't the 'official language' of most business countries, it's the language that business is done in so it is learned so that if you wish to go into business, you can.

In regards to gaming, you shouldn't have to speak it to play it, but it's hella helpful if you learn some key phrases like 'I don't speak English, sorry". I play TF2 with a lot of Koreans that pop up on no-heroes and skial and such, and they're fun and do perfectly fine and they understand the voice commands so they use those, even though they don't actually speak.

I find so few English-speaking people that speak that I stopped caring at all, at least not speaking the language is a decent excuse.

For MMOs like MapleStory, who cares, you say 'I don't speak it' and get the **** on with your life, it's not fast paced, there's no strategy to talk, you could go party with someone who is Korean,Japanese, Chinese, Brazilian, it doesn't matter, you just party, the only thing you'd ever care about are drops and you can work that out easily with emoticons and a sense of fairness.
    Gone with the wind

Quote Originally Posted by Ryuuji View Post
    Sadly 100% not the case in other areas. Otherwise, why do employers hire migrant workers that can't speak an ounce of english?
    That's true, but in moba games it's a minimum qualification that you are able to communicate with your team. If you are a full spanish team and communicate with each other perfectly fine, but not knowing the language is NO excuse for not knowing acronyms that hardly even mean anything in the language it's written in. They need to implement a language option for match maker and all would be fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by kaglover1 View Post
    I was conceived around 4-5am.

Basically, if a foreigner were to visit a country, what makes more sense? Have the one visitor attempt to learn the language vs the 100m+ populace to bend over backwards and learn the language of the ONE visitor?
    Butts.

213 181 178 166 165 164 162 152 147 135 134 130 125 123 123 120 120 104 100 100