Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Non-english speakers in games
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Non-english speakers in games

Default Non-english speakers in games

Primarily in LoL but yea
    Jesus man, what's up with all these people who don't know a lick of english choose north america as their server/region for basically any game. Team based games are just ruined when you can't communicate with your team
    is it wrong to say I hate people who visit the english areas of the internets when they don't know english?
    Quote Originally Posted by kaglover1 View Post
    I was conceived around 4-5am.

Drake

Coz a lot of regions, particularly in Asia, ping slightly less to USA even compared to their local servers.
    SienZPaladin , lv 172 Paladin ~
    ~ KoClSienZ , lv 120 Wind Breaker
    SienZGenesis , lv 200 Bishop ~
    ~ SienZUltimus , lv 49 Assassin

Lvling record personal best : lvl 1~69 under 24 hrs

I <3 Pooky !

You shouldn't hate all of them in general. Some of them might be trying to improve their English. But yeah, the majority of them are super annoying. I don't mind too much on Maple, but in things like CPQ when you get non-English speaking teammates/opponents that start doing stupid shiets, it gets pretty annoying.

Drake

Quote Originally Posted by blankaex View Post
    You shouldn't hate all of them in general. Some of them might be trying to improve their English. But yeah, the majority of them are super annoying. I don't mind too much on Maple, but in things like CPQ when you get non-English speaking teammates/opponents that start doing stupid shiets, it gets pretty annoying.
    But when you really come to think about it, griefers will always grief, no matter what language they speak. People who actually make mistakes due to not understanding what you're trying to convey are quite rare.

I <3 Pooky !

That would be frustrating as balls. I dislike people who move to a region that isn't meant for them in general. Including people who use Maple Korea when they can't understand the players who inhabit it.

Always the Bridesmaid... bulmabriefs144's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SienZ1991 View Post
    Coz a lot of regions, particularly in Asia, ping slightly less to USA even compared to their local servers.
    But that means they're directly responsible for crowd-based lag. Also, two words: Maple puzzles.

You get into a PQ, are two screens from facing a boss, and you have a puzzle that requires teamwork and direction following. One of the party members not only can't understand English, but has stupidly decided to sit on block 4 of a number puzzle since this is their first time playing and they don't understand the puzzle.

But actually, you get this kinda noobishness with people who speak perfect English. Guild PQ for instance, I've never been in a party that actually can get all the way through. Rarely, we can get through the gate. But more often than not you get stupid noobs that jump around hitting all the statues rather than studying the pattern.

Drake

LOL C'mon let's be frank here, Maple PQ puzzles aren't exactly harder than the ones you get in the pediatrician's waiting room. If the person couldn't figure it out / is ****ing around intentionally, him understanding your language won't matter much.

Also, not defending any side here but just to state something that you guys might not be familiar with: "Team communication" is one of the rarest things in SEA gaming, you rarely see anyone playing any game on ventrilo, skype or anything like that. I used to know some really good DotA players who would play the game in near silence, almost as if each already knew / assumed what they were going to do, with very occasional type-chat communication.

@Phoenix

Bear in mind that such people actually play in different regions to their own detriment. While you may argue that they disrupt the experience for their teammates ( like in games like DotA / HoN / LoL ), with modern matchmaking systems integrated in all such games, unless you specifically queue with one, chances of one being on your team is exactly equal to one on the other team. The only one that's consistently struggling / playing in the dark would be them.

Some people might also be playing away from their homes for some reason ( Studies / Business trips / vacation )

I <3 Pooky !

May have to agree, people speak spanish and other weird languages in maple.

But I also have to admit i spoken chinese and french to people who do speak it

It's the same when we go play on another foreign server which I doubt some of you do, but still. We're the outsiders, but the situation changes when you are able to actually communicate to a small extent.
    There has always been a too large number of non-english speakers in every American game. Some games America have aren't available in in their countries or aren't as updated and they choose a more "international" server which most American servers lie to only rake in more customers with.

We're in a heap o'trouble Tesiqurasa's Avatar

I think the root problem is a lack of communication in general. Being unable/unwilling to translate thoughts into the "common" language just compounds the issue.

I've played with people who are far from proficient in English, yet make a serious attempt to effectively communicate with their teammates. I've also experienced exactly what you're talking about. One incident in particular frustrated me. We were training at LHC and I recruited a party member who was advertising herself in ch1. She made no mention of being unable to speak English. After explaining how we were going to work the map, she simply stood there blankly. We kept trying to talk to her, but she just ignored everything. After a while, we kicked her and she flipped out in Spanish. Had she simply informed us that she spoke Spanish, we could have easily just explained things in Spanish. Out of five North Americans, it's not unlikely that at least one can read/write Spanish.

As awful as this sounds, I do remain relatively "right-wing" on this issue. When you move to or interact with a region, at least make an effort to understand the culture and language. Playing completely oblivious helps no one.

Spoiler!