Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: Blankaex's Gimp Tutorials

Well, making a good vector isn't hard, it's just really tedious. As long as you pay attention to pixel-by-pixel detail, it won't look bad.

As for your renders and rendering method, I think I've got it all under my belt. I know what you mean, and I have played with layer masks in the past. Trying things like desaturating, changing the contrast and then easily getting fine details rendered (YESSSS, I CAN DO HAIR!!). I don't go too much into my outline when I feather a path selection, though, because I usually select slightly outside of the outline.

On another note, looking at your renders on the dark theme, I can see a rough like, one pixel outline around it from the background in some places. Since there's not that much, I would usually just zoom in to about 1100% and use the pixel sized eraser tool to just selectively remove those pixels.

Icon11

That's probably a combination of me being lazy since I need to do 8 of those images -_-, the crappy source quality of the images (seriously, all those things are jpgs and once you zoom in there's color bleeding EVERYWHERE), and the low resolution of the source images which makes deleting 1 pixel actually quite noticeable =/.

Edit:
    Actually ya, after dropping a black background on them (something I need to remember to do -_-). It's very clear that what you see is actually just discoloration of the character's outline caused by jpg's darn compression routines messing with the colors of nearby pixels. Rather than delete those pixels I just need to airbrush them to the outline color to correct -_-. I need to get better quality sources -_-.
    Last edited by Dae314; 8th October 2012 at 02:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dae314 View Post
    That's probably a combination of me being lazy since I need to do 8 of those images -_-, the crappy source quality of the images (seriously, all those things are jpgs and once you zoom in there's color bleeding EVERYWHERE)
    Now you know why I hate jpg's with a passion.

PNG pride.
    Butts.

213 181 178 166 165 164 162 152 147 135 134 130 125 123 123 120 120 104 100 100

Everybody with a brain uses PNGs. <3

I just made a wallpaper. Anyone have any thoughts to share? Anyone want a tutorial of this?

Spoiler!

C.C.'s color palettes don't really match the brick background, it's really bright and clean compared to the bricks. So then the image feels a bit weird on the eyes.

I don't know, it doesn't look very natural. I'm not saying it looks bad, it just looks unnatural.
    by Cryopon

From what I see in other graffiti, the red brick areas are usually 80-100% covered over by excessive colouring/out-lining to make it feel more complete-looking and matching. Maybe you could try that

Quote Originally Posted by rasudoken View Post
    C.C.'s color palettes don't really match the brick background, it's really bright and clean compared to the bricks. So then the image feels a bit weird on the eyes.

I don't know, it doesn't look very natural. I'm not saying it looks bad, it just looks unnatural.
    That's true, I might try it again with a different render later on.

Quote Originally Posted by AcrylicBlaze View Post
    From what I see in other graffiti, the red brick areas are usually 80-100% covered over by excessive colouring/out-lining to make it feel more complete-looking and matching. Maybe you could try that
    I actually did try that but then it looked worse IMO. I didn't save it, but to describe it would look like a picture of C.C. on a colourful background with a brick texture. Doesn't look very good. Thanks for the comments though, helps a lot.

The unnaturalness is coming from the fact that CC's colors are too saturated and clean for the realistically colored brick background. Without the source image I can't do much since targeting just the render for color correction is next to impossible. I tried however ^^. The result isn't very pretty, but it illustrates well what desaturating CC's colors can do toward making her look more natural on the bricks. If you focus on just the color and ignore the terrible texture madness that happened when I was trying to add some noise you can see that >.>

Also, the changes I made affected the brick wall's colors a bit. I tried to reverse the changes just for the bricks, but it didn't turn out exactly as planned.

I put the original image right below my edited one to compare.

Spoiler!

Quote Originally Posted by Dae314 View Post
    The unnaturalness is coming from the fact that CC's colors are too saturated and clean for the realistically colored brick background. Without the source image I can't do much since targeting just the render for color correction is next to impossible. I tried however ^^. The result isn't very pretty, but it illustrates well what desaturating CC's colors can do toward making her look more natural on the bricks. If you focus on just the color and ignore the terrible texture madness that happened when I was trying to add some noise you can see that >.>

Also, the changes I made affected the brick wall's colors a bit. I tried to reverse the changes just for the bricks, but it didn't turn out exactly as planned.

I put the original image right below my edited one to compare.

Spoiler!

Ah yeah, I see what you mean. I think I went a bit overboard with the dodge and addition filters. Thanks for your input and putting in the effort to make an example! Much appreciated.