Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Blankaex's Gimp Tutorials

Sorry for late reply, I missed your post somehow.

Glad you made use of it. At least one person did, so I'm reasonably happy. I made a new one, sort of. It's just the process of me making a sig, but people should be able to pick up techniques and ideas based on what I did. If you don't understand why I did something, or what something does, I'm always here to ask.

Nice WIP video, learnt a couple more tricks from it. Kept going back three seconds in the video to see what exactly you did. I was so glad that you didn't use hotkeys or I would have been lost the whole video. I couldn't resist but to lol when you stuffed those eyes with a solid purple. The hair deforming part kinda disappointed me, I went back in the vid a few times at that part, only to realise you just deleted the whole layer. I'll try making a similar one, as soon as I get some free time.

I just remembered I stopped reading Liar Game after it ran out of chapters. Gotta pick it up again.

Normally I would use hotkeys, but I decided to try to not use them as much as I could for the recording. Glad you learnt something. Half of the stuff I do while making a sig gets deleted anyway, so it might have been slightly misleading.

Spoiler!

Half dead after finishing this. It looks kinda grungy.

That looks great. A standard line border would probably look better IMO, but either's fine. You could try blending the render a bit more by Alpha-to-selecting the render layer, feather by a fair amount (20~ish I think), and invert selection and delete. It flows more into the background that way. Grungy is fine, if it's intended.

Icon11

Yay so I just did a render by combining techniques I found scattered around the nets. Your tutorial was very long so I skipped to various parts of it and didn't really watch the whole thing ^^;. Previously I'd done a render mostly by the eraser, just pinpoint pixel clearing. It was extremely work intensive and I didn't really like it -_-. I've found that taking the hint from your video and cutting the picture out with the lasso tool helps a ton with this. I found that if you're actually careful when you're cutting the picture out with the lasso tool it can really speed up the rendering process later since there's a better chance that a section of leftover background will be close enough in color that you can just magic wand it away :D.

Other techniques I used for this was to use the smudge and airbrush tools when it was easier to blend a few pixels of the background into the picture than try to use the eraser on those pixels. Took me about an hour total to do this picture since I went around the things slowly erasing/airbrushing/smudging the colors into the correct tint :3. I didn't have a very high quality source (I was looking for a specific pose by this character, but since the one in the anime had horrible lighting I had to look everywhere for a fan drawing of the same pose with better colors) so the render may look somewhat bad, however I'd like to blame that on the picture and not my render job this time xP.

Here's the original and final product (hint you can also see it in my avatar :D):

Spoiler!

What do you think?
    Last edited by Dae314; 4th February 2012 at 05:22 AM.

Looks pretty neat, a bit aliased. You could fix that by feathering, but otherwise, pretty good job overall. Kurisu is great.

Quote Originally Posted by blankaex View Post
    Looks pretty neat, a bit aliased. You could fix that by feathering, but otherwise, pretty good job overall. Kurisu is great.
    How do you feather? What is feathering? Is that like AA for static pictures? If so, I'd love to learn how to do that. I thought the slight blockyness of the render was a natural byproduct of the render process that I couldn't help xP.

It's in the tutorial.
    Spoiler!

Alpha to Selection
    Select > Feather
    Feather by 1~5
    Select > Invert
    Delete (a few times)
    Last edited by blankaex; 5th February 2012 at 09:49 AM.

Better?

Spoiler!

Also why did I need to invert?
    Last edited by Dae314; 6th February 2012 at 03:44 AM.