Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Blankaex's Gimp Tutorials

Default Blankaex's Gimp Tutorials

Welcome to my Gimp Tutorial thread! In this thread, I'll be covering a bunch of tutorials for Gimp, mainly Sig Tutorials, for everyone to use. The amount of users (of these tutorials) will determine the frequency of them.

If there's anything you don't understand in any tutorials, please tell me and I'll try to explain it in more detail. Also, if you see anything incorrect (incorrect images, spelling/grammar mistakes, etc.), please tell me that too.

Also, after you follow any of the tutorials and make something, feel free to post the results here! I'd love to see your work, and if you want I can help with constructive criticism-esque things.

Gimp Basics: Necessary Knowledge

Spoiler!

CVS's Signature
    Level: Beginner

Hello everyone. This tutorial is designed to have enough detail for zero-knowledge Gimpers to be able to follow. If this is your first time using Gimp, I HIGHLY recommend you following it exactly, step-by-step, doing everything exactly the same.We'll be learning how to make this signature. I don’t remember the exact steps, but I had a look at the Gimp file, so we should end up with something similar, at the least.

Spoiler!

Angel Beats! Signature
    Level: Beginner-Intermediate

Like the previous sig, I don't remember all the steps exactly. That would be impossible. But I did take a look at the file like last time, and we should get something pretty similar. Please note that this tutorial is designed for those who have followed the first tutorial, as it does not use as much detail for some similar steps in the previous tutorial. If you don't understand anything, check the first tutorial or ask me.

Spoiler!

Typography Signature
    Level: Absolute Beginner

This should've been the first tutorial I made, since it's so goddamn easy to make, and the result is really nice as well. Anyways, this is what we're going to try to make now. I'm leaving out the flashy, red, blotchy parts in this tutorial because that's more advanced, and this is a beginner level tutorial. I also think that those patches of colour are ugly, but that's just me.

Spoiler!

I-Don't-Know-What-This-Render-Is Signature
    Level: Beginner

If someone knows who this is, please share. I'm too lazy to look it up. It says Vocaloid in the render title and URL, if that helps. I don't know any vocaloids that look like this though.

I'm pretty sure this is IA. Not 100% and it looks odd but most fanarts do.

Spoiler!

Shapeless Hanako Signature
    Level: Advanced

Don't let the difficulty scare you, I'm just ranking it at that because, well, it is. But that doesn't mean it's impossible - try your best! I had to restart five or six times before I got the final result that I actually like:

Spoiler!
    Last edited by blankaex; 18th September 2013 at 03:33 PM.

Thanks for the tut!
    It really helped on the one I made, but I used Photoshop instead of GIMP.

------

How'd I do?

Last edited by CVS; 8th September 2011 at 04:24 AM.

Wow! Excellent tutorial! This is my first result. I am working on the text as we speak.

---------- Post added at 07:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:57 PM ----------

Here's a more basic one I made for my brother.

Quote Originally Posted by CVS View Post
    Not bad, but the text is a little hard to read. It's also a bit big. Maybe get the text outline a different colour, and don't be afraid to crop the render. You don't need all of it, you just want the part around their face/hands, so you can remove the legs and make it shorter.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyatt View Post

First one is pretty good. Nothing much really to do with it, but if you wanted to make it more advanced, you could try to add some of the lightning (coming off his fingers, between his antennae) into the background to take up some space.

Second one is a bit simple, and the render is barely blended at all. Try doing a repeat of what you did in the background for the first one, minus the Motion Blur, and set that layer mode to Overlay. Also, ADD A BORDER. It doesn't matter where you're using it, border = better.

Quote Originally Posted by blankaex View Post
    Not bad, but the text is a little hard to read. It's also a bit big. Maybe get the text outline a different colour, and don't be afraid to crop the render. You don't need all of it, you just want the part around their face/hands, so you can remove the legs and make it shorter.
    I made it big because the empty space was bothering me. I was going to make it into just one straight line in the japanese translation, but the text was way to small when I did it. The text outline was tough for me. Couldn't find the right color so I chose grey. I didn't want to crop the render because w/o the wreath, it looked a bit off. The render itself was really nice so I left it along.

---

made a plain one. I didn't like this one though.

------

remade it. I like this version better than the first one.

Last edited by CVS; 8th September 2011 at 08:48 AM.

That is a very interesting way of making a background texture. I didn't read your tutorial yet, but surely one day I will and I will thank you for it.

Also, create as many threads as you feel necessary. I don't think we really care.
    by Cryopon

photoshop tuts pl0x
    噢如果超人会飞
    那就让我在空中停一停歇
    再次俯瞰这个世界
    会让我觉得好一些

哦拯救地球好累
    虽然有些疲惫但我还是会
    不要问我哭过了没
    因为超人不能有眼泪

Quote Originally Posted by nanop44 View Post
    photoshop tuts pl0x
    All the tools gimp has, photoshop has. You just gotta find where they're placed.

Quote Originally Posted by nanop44 View Post
    photoshop tuts pl0x
    I don't use Photoshop as of yet, so I can't at the moment. I'm getting a copy of it soon, but I'm not sure whether I'll want to stick with Gimp or switch to PS. Also, like CVS said, almost all of Gimp's tools and filters are available on Photoshop. Just look for them.

And CVS, I like your horse guy sig. The music stave-resembling lines in the background sort of detract from the appearance, though. Try to remove those and see how it looks.

It looks so much cleaner w/ the music removed., but one thing that makes me hate this one is 'cus of the left side. It's darker than the right side.

----

nvm, fixed it. I like this now.

also blank, you can call me russ.
    Last edited by CVS; 8th September 2011 at 10:11 AM.