Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: #$%@^ AppStore

Always the Bridesmaid... bulmabriefs144's Avatar

Default #$%@^ AppStore

K, my mom bought an iPad cause her old computer crashed (well technically, it's still around, but the plug got broken and she didn't wanna spend the money to get it welded or whatever). So they have all these "Apps" (which seem to be effectively a cross between internet shortcuts and .exe files). So fine, just go to the appstore, click on something and download it, right? Wrong. It asks for her user password. Wtf?!? You own the computer, why do you need to verify yourself for the main system? So anyway, we try entering an existing password, and it doesn't work. So I'm like "well, obviously it doesn't have your account, so let's tell it to create one." So, like I always do cause I'm a geek who likes to plug away at things, I grab the thing to take a look at it. So she goes axe-crazy hysterical, claims she already has it and doesn't want me "changing things." At about this point I'm trying to re-enter it, rather than give her a new one, but don't get a chance to say this before my dad snaps at me/her, my mom snaps at me, and I never properly explain. I don't know if you guys have ever seriously watched me get upset, but usually one of two things that does it is either being misunderstood or interrupted before I (that is, not being understood on any Epic Fail level). So then, somewhere along the line, I'm about to just leave, because this sucks, and my dad decides to bully and rage on about he's gonna smash the thing (sure I feel like that too by the end of this ordeal, but it's something that's her property). I tell him flatly that he's being controlling and kinda abusive, and to bugger off. Of course, like 15 min later when talks to me, I'm still a nervous wreck so he says in this psychotherapist pseudo-calm voice, that I'm the one that seems upset, and that he's perfectly calm.

Own up to your own anger, man. I'm upset, more than a little, and I wanna fix things (both with the system and with her). But "I'm perfectly calm," bull, after I saw her get yelled at because he didn't like us arguing about the thing. Hell, I don't like arguing either, but it was business between the two of us.

Why the HELL couldn't the AppStore be like typical internet downloading and assume you are who your say you are? I know it's portable with other devices or some crap, but we're not buying it for that. I'd like to have that argument undone...

Oh yea, and my whole family likely needs psychotherapy but none of us is likely to go.

Not sure if thread is about Family or App Store.

If the former, then I wish you good luck.

If the latter, then I think it ask for the password just for confirmation.
    by Cryopon

I dunno either. Mostly family I think. My dad, and some feminists I hung out with when I was six at a daycare, make up a largely portion of why I think all men are scum. He's useless in the kitchen, he doesn't help clean up ("I'll do it later"), and he butts into other people's business. But he's average, maybe better than most of the men I've seen of his era. Women should marry other women for romance/family, and have men around just as "pollinators." Otherwise, men get some sort of entitlement complex making them think they can walk all over other people just because they have a Pianus. (And no, I'm not the most screwed-up person in my outlook of men and women. You guys should read the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan)

If I'd have gotten half a day to plug around with things, I'd probably figure out the trouble, and fix it. But of course, it's her brand-new toy, and she's worried about things getting messed up. So I don't have many options right now.

Anyway, there isn't much I can do, until everyone is calmed down, so this is more a venting thread than me asking solutions. So okay, venting (mostly) done.

Oh, yea, and by law any male raping a woman should castrated, on the first offense.
    Last edited by bulmabriefs144; 16th October 2011 at 10:02 AM.

My iPad came with a defect that makes tons of yellow pixels appear on the screen.
    [21-11, 13:19] Tesiqurasa: so do their guns
    [21-11, 13:19] Bishopz: Al qaeda has a magazine.

Hey don't hate on a whole gender like that. I live alone therefore have to do all the cleaning and cooking myself.

But at least I'm making my own home clean and making food just for myself.
    Butts.

213 181 178 166 165 164 162 152 147 135 134 130 125 123 123 120 120 104 100 100

Dern, I was hoping to start gender cleansing (like ethnic cleansing, only more fun) soon. If there's even one decent male about, I just can't do it.

geez, Bishopz.

Blue bird of friendliness penguinzrock's Avatar

the password verification is so if a friend grabs your iProduct and tries to buy a million useless apps, they can't
    Hate is easy; love takes courage.
    2/1/2010 - supalim becomes first to ever download an entire yobibyte of internet pizza
    PENGUINZ 4 MOD 2012!

all I read was

-stuff-
    you: u mad dad?
    your dad (later): nah, but I'm sure ur irate, wanna talk about it?

P.S. Password is very useful, and don't **** around making new **** on apple, you would have cost her everything she previously bought if she didn't remember her username, and knowing mothers that is possible.
    If it's not yours don't **** with it.
    Gone with the wind

Don't you use an iTunes account to download/purchase apps from the app store? There shouldn't be an existing one already. You have to make one, and link a payment method to it if you want to get anything other than free apps, and you can sign in on the iPad. It'll stay signed in with the username, but you need to reenter the password when you download, but if you download and go back in time, it won't ask you again since it has a few minute delay before asking you again. I think this a pretty good system though, so that you can let others use it without worrying about them "accidentally" spending $9001 on useless apps.

Quote Originally Posted by pyrofyr View Post
    all I read was

-stuff-
    you: u mad dad?
    your dad (later): nah, but I'm sure ur irate, wanna talk about it?
    It wasn't that. It was like under 10 min later. He does this, a sorta false calm. Anyone who knows him knows it doesn't jive. He's an energetic, extroverted type. And nobody has time to calm down that quickly. Plus, I've seen like him like this in arguments, this very schooled temper when he obviously is invested in what's going on. I'm calm sometimes because I'm withdrawn alot of the time, it doesn't matter to me that much. When something does, I do get upset. You guys have probably seen me upset too. But this is sorta like... I dunno, he thinks it's wrong to be upset so there's a sorta mask thing going on.

In my view, a person who can live with themselves and other people is calm. All I'm seeing though here, is discipline. He definitely wasn't accepting me, her, or himself. So yea, it came off as very "fake." Bleh.

Besides which, it was more like:

Dad: I'm perfectly calm now, you wanna talk about things?
    Me: Bull, you're still mad. You hadn't any business being involved anyway, it was my mom's and my argument. Besides, I know you're still mad because you just chased off my mom telling her to give you the iPad so you could get rid of it.
    Dad: No, I'm totally calm, see?
    (Yea...)

---------------------------------

My mom assures me that it's something she already has, but she effectively just typed in her email and password. What stuff would you recommend that's cheap? We have a $15 gift certificate, so mainly free stuff. Some shortcuts apps to stuff like Mapquest, Netflix, a OpenOffice type thing (in case she needs to attach documents or something), she wants a game or two (prefereably free), and maybe some Photoshop type thing. Nothing high-price, but sorta basic package programs.

We couldn't even get a free App. It asked for the password during a free download.
    Last edited by bulmabriefs144; 18th October 2011 at 08:56 AM.