Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Guide Section "Revamp"

Quote Originally Posted by blankaex View Post
    If you want, I can write a guide for DB, and keep it up to date.
    Writing a guide doesn't require permission. Just write it and submit it since samlee and tesi review it before making it official.

Quote Originally Posted by CVS View Post
    Writing a guide doesn't require permission. Just write it and submit it since samlee and tesi review it before making it official.
    ^
    Yup.
    Just submit a guide and me or Tesi will read/review it and put it up for public approval. :)

bolt202/veil225/feint200

We're in a heap o'trouble Tesiqurasa's Avatar

It looks like this weekend's problem set is super easy, so I'll probably have time to sit down and work on an IL guide. I'd still be missing a bit of insight regarding mid 4th job training (140-160), so if anyone has experience there, I'd greatly appreciate the input. I'm just looking for any specific techniques given the skill set of that range; the general training/point allocation itself should be pretty easy.

Spoiler!

I was thinking about compiling all the warrior guides so we'd have a common section for equips and training areas, since that doesn't deviate too much.
    Yes? No? Maybe? Cbf? Do it yourself?

Also going to write a pally guide next week, when my exams are over.

If you make a pally guide, I can post/sticky up a compilation thread which links to the three Warrior guides in the Ascension subsection. There's no real need for it though, because there aren't a whole ton of guides to begin with..

bolt202/veil225/feint200

I see. I'll get started on it tomorrow, then. Can I write the guide in the Ascension section, post it as incomplete and continue adding to it?

Quote Originally Posted by Tesiqurasa View Post
    It looks like this weekend's problem set is super easy, so I'll probably have time to sit down and work on an IL guide. I'd still be missing a bit of insight regarding mid 4th job training (140-160), so if anyone has experience there, I'd greatly appreciate the input. I'm just looking for any specific techniques given the skill set of that range; the general training/point allocation itself should be pretty easy.
    Tell me when you get to the 4th job part, I might have some ideas for that.
    Bathis - 13x Ice/Lightning Archmage
    Level 130 [X ] - Level 140 [ ] - 10K minimum range [ ] - 30% int from eq [ ]

Signature made by Blankaex

Quote Originally Posted by blankaex View Post
    I see. I'll get started on it tomorrow, then. Can I write the guide in the Ascension section, post it as incomplete and continue adding to it?
    Of course. Just make sure you update it once a week or so so we know it hasn't been abandoned. Though you're pretty regular on the forum so I have little doubt of that happening.

bolt202/veil225/feint200

And plus you've got me as a friend on Facebook.

Alright, thanks. Do you have any tips for the actual writing part? I find it difficult to write long threads (experience from Gimp tutorials) using the HS thread poster, plus there's the slight chance that my browser may die on me. I used notepad before, but I don't think that'd be any good in this case since I'll be writing in paragraphs, not lines, and it'd be painful to horizontally scroll each line and all that.

What I did for my F/P guide (which is by far the most indepth guide I've ever written) was I wrote it on HS and copy/pasta saved it to a .txt document because my Mozilla used to crash a lot at the time. Don't expect to write a guide in one sitting; I would recommend you start it; get the formatting done, upload pictures (if required), and get a feel for how you want the guide to look. I would say this takes a bit of out-of-forum organization; depending on the guide/amount of formatting you want, it can take a long time or a short time.
    Then start the actual content.
    Personally I aim to get up to 2nd job finished, as well as any introductions, stats, etc; these are pretty basic. This part usually doesn't take too long. I know most people do a level-by-level skilling order but it's totally unnecessary; I do it because it looks nice, though I didn't do it on my Sair guide (which was a short/quick guide).

Next time, go for 3rd-4th job; finish the core content of the guide, essentially. This might take longer because several classes have multiple builds; what I did for my Heroine guide was simply put down the build I used, as I felt it was quite effective.
    Remember that the guide is your own experiences with the class, and how you would recommend to play the class! While others may have their own opinions on the class, it doesn't mean that you have to edit your guide to accommodate those opinions. Again, it's your guide that you wrote from your own experiences. Usually people who enjoy their class write guides; if you enjoy your class you are probably doing something right!
    Do try to list reasons for your choices; sometimes they are apparent, sometimes not, but in either case you should be supporting your build with training spots where skill X is good, somewhere where skill Y is good, what skills synergize with what skills, etc.

Once that's been finished, feel free to add additional comments to your builds, put up a small training locations section (for where you trained, wherever you recommend, etc) and make notes on other small aspects to the class that may not be apparent when observing from an outside view.
    All this is pretty much optional though; the core content should be a skilling guide; this is what most people come to the section for.

For my F/P guide, there was an image restriction when I wrote it (hence the multiple posts), but there isn't one in the Guide section anymore (I believe) so fancy it up :)

tl;dr - Finish up first and second job, finish the rest the next time. Then add other content (training locations, important items of note, alternate builds, etc).

FP guide cited; http://www.hidden-street.net/forum/t...-guide-to-F-Ps
    Last edited by emailbox; 30th October 2011 at 01:30 AM.

bolt202/veil225/feint200