View Poll Results: Background?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • Grew up in a closeminded church, (now atheist)

1 5.56%
  • Grew up in a closeminded church (still there, sadly)

1 5.56%
  • Grew up in a closeminded church (became closeminded)

1 5.56%
  • My church was kind (I'm still devout)

4 22.22%
  • My church was kind (but empty, so I left)

2 11.11%
  • No religious background

6 33.33%
  • Parents were atheists, so I'm atheist

3 16.67%
  • I have my own religious beliefs

8 44.44%
  • Something in life happened, and it changed the way I believe

6 33.33%
  • Something different I didn't mention

4 22.22%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Atheism Part 3: The Final Chapter (I hope)

Baptists fml. They are the most ****ish about the rules in their version of the bible. Methodists can drink and stuff so up yours baptists.
    [21-11, 13:19] Tesiqurasa: so do their guns
    [21-11, 13:19] Bishopz: Al qaeda has a magazine.

Always the Bridesmaid... bulmabriefs144's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by penguinzrock View Post

Being self-taught is no excuse for ignorance.
    Being self-taught is a reason for non-mastery, but not ignorance. If you teach yourself the sword, and never learn how to block properly, well, it's the fault of your teaching style that you get killed (not coincidentally, I also taught myself a martial arts style, and to use a quarterstaff. And yea, I'm horrible at blocking, so I dodge instead). So, no, I'm not excusing my ignorance, just clarifying that it would hardly be without cause considering I first learned of it at age 16 or so. There will inevitably things I forget.

If all of us do not study and become one with the Tao, nature will be consumed by the Great Old Ones who came Before it.

Spoiler!

Anyhow I was born and raised in a very lightly muslim family, it was more oromo nationalist if anything. Now it's more conservative as we've grown up. I don't practice as much as I should but that's out of sheer laziness.
    Last edited by PhoenixRider; 1st November 2011 at 05:18 PM.

(Oh man, I so want that pic as my avatar... But no.)

I've had very mixed issues with Muslims.

My dad is like "Muslims are evilz, let's kill em all, hrrrgh." I met some Muslim girl in our college, and she was sorta super-quiet shrinking violet type, but very religious (she went to Passover, and attended church, so it didn't seem to matter to her that there weren't Islam-specific events). Then I saw some Muslim post on this video:

About how Delta Goodrem is an idolater, etc, etc (in other words, he was being an ass). Later, another Muslim told him off.

Seriously, it's not the religion, it's the person. I've met some sad excuses for Christians and other groups too. Oh, and Delta Goodrem is hawt!

Actually stating that your beliefs are 'from anime', can't even think enough to have your own beliefs that stem from your own thoughts and musings, or at the very least to read some damn real literature and at least have your opinion based off of one that isn't a joke marketed towards children.

Really, I don't even know where to start responding to this, so I think I just won't, you probably should have avoided making these threads, they were terrible since I inadvertently started it and I look back and read some of my own posts and think "Well, even if I was right, the way I made those threads was just ****ing stupid".
    Gone with the wind

I do read alot. I'm just smart enough to know that to take yourself too seriously is a bigger joke than anything I could ever write. Shakespeare, now thought of as "brilliant" and "high-culture" was at the time catered to peasants. I've read some of my sincere wishes for the future, and looked back four years later and thought "God I was naive." In a diary that I wrote, you know the only thing that held up? Random magic circles and gibberish drawings. They're still as entertaining as when I wrote them initially.

And people who accuse me for wikipedia? It's a better source than most dictionaries/encyclopedia. They have standards of product, and won't hesitate to latch onto something that is obviously wrong, and edit it. Plus, it's a consensus of opinion not between like-minded people, but different ones. If like-minded people agree, it's just a bunch of peer-pressure and stupid people agreeing with each other. But if you can get certifiably-off people to team up with the smartest folks in the room and agree that milk comes from the udder of a cow, you have progress. Not to mention, if there's new info, like that a certain newspaper article turned out to be a fraud, or a certain mangaka quit writing and therefore his final work Yoshi The Grey is unlikely to ever see the light of day, then you have a good resource for information.

I don't "base my beliefs off of anime, and not have my own." I have my own beliefs, and find anime to support it. Sane and sensible anime, like Higurashi No Naku Ni.

if you are in a room with a million people and they all say that 2+2=5 (base ten system, fail)

they are still wrong, unless we defined 5=4 to begin with.
    Quote Originally Posted by BarelyAwake View Post
    This thread quickly turned into who all wants to sex up Merciless.

That's like saying infinity/infinity works.
    Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Quote Originally Posted by kaglover1 View Post
    But now I'm like screw that, I'm skipping to the part where Bella finally combines with Edward

We're in a heap o'trouble Tesiqurasa's Avatar

nope
    Quote Originally Posted by bulmabriefs144 View Post
    My faith is natural and human (based on anime, music, and other stuff)
    From your positive description of wikipedia and this list of influences, it seems like you're just in denial about your own faith. You keep claiming to love individuality but never actually support it.

Spoiler!

Too cool for bot zapping Clockwork's Avatar

I actually read all of bulma's post and focused on what I was reading. I have no idea what I just read.

What your specific beliefs are is less important than why you believe what you believe. Too many people "believe" something simply because that's what they were taught. They don't actually believe it but go along with it because that's what their parents (or whoever) believe. Therein lies the problem.