View Poll Results: Background?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • Grew up in a closeminded church, (now atheist)

1 5.56%
  • Grew up in a closeminded church (still there, sadly)

1 5.56%
  • Grew up in a closeminded church (became closeminded)

1 5.56%
  • My church was kind (I'm still devout)

4 22.22%
  • My church was kind (but empty, so I left)

2 11.11%
  • No religious background

6 33.33%
  • Parents were atheists, so I'm atheist

3 16.67%
  • I have my own religious beliefs

8 44.44%
  • Something in life happened, and it changed the way I believe

6 33.33%
  • Something different I didn't mention

4 22.22%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Atheism Part 3: The Final Chapter (I hope)

Quote Originally Posted by Grace View Post
    Holy i actually saw that video posted (on fb)

Phantom Watch

Quote Originally Posted by Grace View Post
    Spent the last twenty minutes looking for and laughing at the funny faces in this video

rhymes are bad, don't make much sense, and video sucks

Quote Originally Posted by kaglover1 View Post
    I was conceived around 4-5am.

Quote Originally Posted by ithrow4luk View Post

Always the Bridesmaid... bulmabriefs144's Avatar

You know the worst part of this? But science advocates and religious nutters use really cliche strawman arguments against the other side, right? Well, this guy uses both. Religion isn't people. So many of his arguments were "religion" does this, or that, or the other. No. Religious leaders maybe, but the religion itself is just an object or set of rules, and doesn't do anything (objects can't move) without someone, who decides to use it to condemn someone. Also, he Did Not Do The Research. "Why do churches get built while people starve?" Ummm, churches have these things they use called Food Banks. And some more things called Soup Kitchens. And things called charities. Bad research, strawman style arguments (based on using the church or religion, both of which can't fight back, since they aren't living targets), and even worse rapping made this video bad. And you should feel bad. Also, the word "religion". It comes from words like "ligament" (that which joins stuff in the body), and means to "reconnect." In other words, if you're going to church or wherever, the whole point of it... isn't Jesus. It's to hang out with other worshippers. That you condemn religion, means you're a worse fraud than those you condemn. And wipe that self-righteous grin off your face, you turkey. Things people got wrong about religion, while we're on topic. Oh, and I've heard people in this website accused religion of "holding advances back."
    The notion that the Middle Ages, particularly the 'Dark Ages' (Now referred to as the 'Early Middle-Ages') were a time of darkness where religious leaders suppressed scientific advancement has in fact been widely discredited by most historians. Many inventions were actually promoted by the Church, which also worked to preserve Pagan writings and built scientific experiments into the very fabric of the Vatican. Not to mention the Pontifical Academy of Sciencesor the Vatican Observatory, one of the oldest scientific institutions in the world. The irony here is that the people who regularly claim that Christianity stifles research and the acquisition of knowledge are failing to do any research themselves....
    Not to mention, many of the countries visited by Western countries post-Christianity had greatly improved medicine after the visit of missionaries. This one is interesting.
    The pentacle, which (among other things) was used by Christians for centuries to represent the five wounds Jesus suffered on the cross, and to provide protection from evil spirits. It was a common Christian symbol as recently as the advent of the Mormon church. In Wicca, Onmyodo and most other non Left Hand Path forms of Pagan belief, the symbol uses a meaning developed within alchemy: the five points are the five elements and again as a "protection from evil" seal. The Satanist or other Left Hand Path version, the pentagram, is, for this very reason, an inverse (upside down) pentacle, which often gets confused with the upside down cross.
    So I can wear a pentagram too?
    Last edited by bulmabriefs144; 24th January 2012 at 10:06 AM.

Bump.

On the other hand, compared to that drunk looking fool above, the following in a Christian-type coming up with an original solution using observation of nature and theology, decides instead to believe in some type of reincarnation. If you have time give it a read.

http://www.riddleoflifeanddeath.org/page-1.html

He kinda strawmans other theories a bit, but far less so than the guy with goofy facial expressions. Just a warning though, it goes on and on. I'm on page 11 already.

****ing lock this thread come on.
    Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Quote Originally Posted by kaglover1 View Post
    But now I'm like screw that, I'm skipping to the part where Bella finally combines with Edward

****ing lock this thread come on.
    I, bulmabriefs144, approve this message.

(when you have some goof that uses a bunch of cliches, all while making retarded faces and the only thing better has to be bumped, since the thread has been inactive for a full month, it's time to lock)

btw, vote for me in the next election. if only so real candidates will be like "wtf? he's not even on the ballot"

Quote Originally Posted by bulmabriefs144 View Post
    I, bulmabriefs144, approve this message.

(when you have some goof that uses a bunch of cliches, all while making retarded faces and the only thing better has to be bumped, since the thread has been inactive for a full month, it's time to lock)

btw, vote for me in the next election. if only so real candidates will be like "wtf? he's not even on the ballot"
    If you approve stop bumping threads

We're in a heap o'trouble Tesiqurasa's Avatar

Don't necro/bump if you willingly admit there was no point in necroing/bumping...

Spoiler!