Thread: Sleepy's Sig Den

Default Sleepy's Sig Den

So this'll be my signature gallery, I'll post all/most of my new tags here and I'll hopefully get some CnC in return. =3

I'll start by posting a few recent tags soooooo... here I go

A lot to comment on, eh? Well something for me to do during school lessons.

1. Barely blended render, and the background doesn't suit well either. Simple backgrounds generally fit better without renders.
    2. Nice flow with the background and the shape of the render. Top left is a bit plain, you could put some text there or something. Render's colour looks odd, but I don't know if it's meant to be like that or not.
    3. Simple and cloudy background, pretty nice looking but I don't like Naruto. It looks like you followed a very simple tutorial for it though, I see similar sigs everywhere.
    4. Pretty nice background, but I don't think real people look very good in sigs. Not much else to say about it, it's pretty good.
    5. The fractal is too detailed, try lowering the opacity or changing the layer blending mode a bit. The background has too many sharp corners as well, but that can be fixed with a bit of blurring or smudging.
    6. Mechanical-looking C4Ds don't really match the render, but the shiny blue thing on the guy's chest is pretty nice.
    7. Very Grungey, and doesn't look quite right. A lot of noise around looks weird and misplaced.
    8. Good background, render is fairly well blended, but the C4Ds are too sharp and noticable, drawing your attention to the wrong place.

*Class over, I'll finish up later.*

Looks nice ;)

Quote Originally Posted by blankaex View Post

3. Simple and cloudy background, pretty nice looking but I don't like Naruto. It looks like you followed a very simple tutorial for it though, I see similar sigs everywhere.
    Naruto? That's Snow from FFXIII lol. And no, I did not follow a tutorial. Not a fan of those. I do tend to read them for tips and new techniques though.

I noted the rest. I'll take them into consideration the next time I open photoshop. =o

Quote Originally Posted by kaglover1 View Post
    Looks nice ;)
    Thank you =)

@blank:Simplicity doesn't mean bad art, and some things just work without tons of blending and filters.
    Butts.

213 181 178 166 165 164 162 152 147 135 134 130 125 123 123 120 120 104 100 100

cool, hs has a gfx forum now

-don't put 1-2 px black borders on everything unless you have text that works with them. most tags work better without borders
    -black on white glow like in #3 = bad idea. either you dress it up to make it work with c4d's or you leave the text out if you have little negative space
    -some of those got good use with negative space but then you have something cluttered with c4d's like with #8 or your stock/render is in the center and your c4d's don't really blend well like with #2
    -make better use of photo filters/curves. also adjust your contrast, you don't want your tags to have flat colors since you're using c4d's
    -3rd from last is your worst. black borders, bad depth (his face is blurry while his hair is not), bad lighting, bad smudge job on the right

I haven't done forum tags in a while, but those are things that came up in my mind.. and yeah, people don't follow tutorials by the book since they would never be able to adapt their own style.

making something simple can be harder to do than your usual "ogod look at that guy's awesome tag with the sick smudge job and them clipping masks" because you have to emphasize more on negative space and if your thing has text, typography.

Quote Originally Posted by I'm feeling tired sleepy View Post
    Naruto? That's Snow from FFXIII lol. And no, I did not follow a tutorial. Not a fan of those. I do tend to read them for tips and new techniques though. Thank you =)
    I take it back, I like it a bit more now. It looks a LOT like a Naruto character though.

Quote Originally Posted by FailFTW View Post
    @blank:Simplicity doesn't mean bad art, and some things just work without tons of blending and filters.
    Nothing wrong with simplicity. It's a compliment. I'm never able to pull off minimalist properly.

Quote Originally Posted by xdgr View Post
    cool, hs has a gfx forum now

-don't put 1-2 px black borders on everything unless you have text that works with them. most tags work better without borders
    It's an Arts forum, not "gfx". And I tend to find sigs with borders always look better than those without. To each his own, I suppose.

they're very hard to work with though.

1 px black borders limit so much of what you can do. adding in borders means having to make sure your c4d's do not look ugly with it, making sure your lighting source isn't affected by it, making sure your render/stock is resized smaller to work well within the constraints you would not have to deal with otherwise.

for some people, if they're making use of vectors or pen tool, most chances they'd want to make use of negative space; however 1 px borders do not complement that well enough. as you said, to each his own opinion; but it depends on what your idea for a good forum tag is I suppose

and ic

Alright, I made this tag in a rush for a sig competetion on another website and I'd like some feedback on it. It isn't one of my best, I'm certain of that but... yeah.

I didn't feel like making a new thread for this so... yeah, I just made a new render, first in a while and I'd like to hear some feedback.