Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Some Questions Regarding Bishop Skills

Angel Ray sucks damagewise anyway and before you get into any crazy stuff I say you should make a new character before jumping headfirst into MapleStory if your stats are truly screwed up.

Soooo....
    1. A lot has changed. Too much for me to list right now. Look up southperry.net and Fiel's extractions for information about skill changes. I just know that Angel Ray still sucks and Bishops tag along to give people Holy Symbol. Training spots... I'm not a priest guy so this is just me touching a bit of the info you need.

2. Most skill quests were removed and you need books for stuff like Angel Ray, which you get from Zakum. Bishops should start with almost everything besides Angel Ray.

3. Become a merchant. Learn the free market. Find rare items while training, sell to make a quick buck, then start merching. Sell quantities of everyday items that people need. It's the best way to make money. And yes this might mean having to go spend a little bit of NX for a store permit. It's not a big deal.

4. You can do pretty much any quest alone but I do think El Nido is a poor choice for a server since you're not going to find much more than hackers and after you reach a good point in Priest where you start to need parties for EXP, you won't find much. Also the free market is very poor in those low pop servers.

5. What the hell are you doing getting back into MS? It's just going to be a headache, especially if you don't start with a new character.
    Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Quote Originally Posted by kaglover1 View Post
    But now I'm like screw that, I'm skipping to the part where Bella finally combines with Edward

Always the Bridesmaid... bulmabriefs144's Avatar

Comments in pink (for fun reading)!

Quote Originally Posted by omarXRanger View Post

2. Most skill quests were removed and you need books for stuff like Angel Ray, which you get from Zakum. Bishops should start with almost everything besides Angel Ray.

Nice! I probably should do okay then. Assuming I can ever level to 120 in the first place.

3. Become a merchant. Learn the free market. Find rare items while training, sell to make a quick buck, then start merching. Sell quantities of everyday items that people need. It's the best way to make money. And yes this might mean having to go spend a little bit of NX for a store permit. It's not a big deal.

From what this site said, it sounds like the quest broke post Chaos, and I may need to suck it up and try to beat those bosses anyway. Damn.

I generally get rare items that nobody is wanting like... does anyone want a Rush skill book? Anyone? (Waits hours and then someone responds to me only to beg for money, or try to sell stuff to me) That or the stuff I get is so common nobody wants it at all (like those scrolls dropped for 7th anni, or really really sucky clean slate scrolls). I spend NX, but I've generally found this to be a poor investment (at least with hair coupons or gachapon, you're guaranteed to get something). More recently, I just bought a bunch of mesobags. The money was random, but I managed to get 40 mil.

4. You can do pretty much any quest alone but I do think El Nido is a poor choice for a server since you're not going to find much more than hackers and after you reach a good point in Priest where you start to need parties for EXP, you won't find much. Also the free market is very poor in those low pop servers.

Yea, I kinda figured. Our net connection is kinda terrible now, so it's my best shot.

5. What the hell are you doing getting back into MS? It's just going to be a headache, especially if you don't start with a new character.

Well, I tried playing Pet Forest, which was good as a browser game. But the quests got kinda boring, since there were no puzzle or jump quests, just kill enemies and gather items. Also, having equips that were all duration based (rather than just some of the better ones, as in maple, meant I had to spend a load to restore my gear. And then a load to buy new skill books, to upgrade my pet, etc, etc, etc. I also couldn't seem to use Paypal to get more stuff from their NX equivalent. So I bought a computer hoping to play Mabinogi. Something was wrong with something there (probably the monitor feed to the PSU) and after installing everything from my custom XP using nLite, to Linux (two different types), to TinyXP, it wouldn't show anything on the screen when on. So I disassembled it, and sent it back for a refund which may or may not come.

When all is said and done, I think I like
    my weirdass priest, and even if it does cause later headaches, I'm really liking the Mercedes and Demon Slayer. Demon Slayer is like Aran on crack, it can do massive chains with decent speed across the room, and Mercedes has about the same MP regen I used to like about my priest, with decent HP regen too. Between the three of them, I'm sure something will appeal to me, unless Nexon does something lameass like nerf their basic skills to make Mercedes like any other archer or Demon Slayer without the ranged combo attacks.

Good fifth question, btw.

If you are ignoring angel ray, you might as well never job advance.

You're a Priest with res. That's what a Bishop is. A Priest that can bring you back from the dead.
    Spoiler!

Spoiler!

But now I'm like screw that, I'm skipping to the part where Bella finally combines with Edward

A bishop actively attacking is better than a mule spamming HS in almost every case. The mentality that bishops having the worst DPS in the game so they should never attack is pretty much the stupidest thing I have ever heard.

Every class in the game is far-and-away FAR stronger than any mob in the game. About 50% of all the damage most characters do endgame is superfluous. A proper bishop could very well train at LHC actively and efficiently. And actually be a boost to your team.

All classes can do well enough damage to train at any end game area. If you are forsaking your main end game attacking skill because of this mentality then you should just stop playing.
    Last edited by White Mage Abyss; 11th June 2012 at 09:17 AM. Reason: Fix your ****ing forums, HS.

Well the main issue is with the person controlling the bishop. More often than not the bishop was chosen for either A. the Holy Symbol or B. the Res/Healing/Dispel/other support or both. Some bishops that try to attack can find themselves not fulfilling their assigned task while in the party because the bishops are trying to attack. Of course a good bishop doesn't have to worry about that and can support people while attacking.
    Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Well the main issue is with the person controlling the bishop. More often than not the bishop was chosen for either A. the Holy Symbol or B. the Res/Healing/Dispel/other support or both. Some bishops that try to attack can find themselves not fulfilling their assigned task while in the party because the bishops are trying to attack. Of course a good bishop doesn't have to worry about that and can support people while attacking.
    That is not a fault on the class, so much as the player, and that argument could be applied to absolutely every class in the game. Archer didn't SE us because he was too busy DPSing, Thief Didn't haste us because too busy DPSing, Pirate didn't SI us because too busy DPSing, Warrior didn't CO us, too busy DPSing.

More people flock to high dps classes because they are so overpowered to begin with, so if anything it should be MORE of an issue with every other class than bishops. And it is still no reason to tell people to forsake their main attack because "all you will be doing is HSing"

Quote Originally Posted by White Mage Abyss View Post
    That is not a fault on the class, so much as the player, and that argument could be applied to absolutely every class in the game. Archer didn't SE us because he was too busy DPSing, Thief Didn't haste us because too busy DPSing, Pirate didn't SI us because too busy DPSing, Warrior didn't CO us, too busy DPSing.

More people flock to high dps classes because they are so overpowered to begin with, so if anything it should be MORE of an issue with every other class than bishops. And it is still no reason to tell people to forsake their main attack because "all you will be doing is HSing"
    See that would be more of an issue if it wasn't for the level of DPS that could be considered important and the level that isn't necessarily needed but could be helpful. The classes listed before have a significant enough damage output that they could be chosen for more than just SE. Not saying that some bowmasters don't tag along for more than just using their SE, it's just that with a bishop there's never really a time where someone goes, "you know how we can help our damage? We could bring a bishop." Also areas like LHC, the assigned "attackers" want as much EXP as possible, also making them hate the attacking bishop as they see them as just HS muling leechers. This may seem unfair but hey, welcome to MapleStory.
    Spoiler!

Spoiler!

We're in a heap o'trouble Tesiqurasa's Avatar

While Bishop is quite weak, it's still pretty respectable in terms of mobbing, especially with the recent buffs.
    Also, with the game now so incredibly dependent on gear, it really does vary person to person more than previously. A well geared Bishop will lay down more mobbing dps than a mediocrely geared "dps class".

Going partially off-topic:
    This was the main reason I couldn't stand playing my bishop. Despite being significantly stronger than almost everyone I encountered at LHC, I was still expected to do nothing except buff. Several people even expected me to do nothing but heal, despite me having a range almost greater than the rest of the party combined.
    In today's Maple, it's important to judge person-by-person, because there are many surprises out there.

Spoiler!

Always the Bridesmaid... bulmabriefs144's Avatar

Also areas like LHC, the assigned "attackers" want as much EXP as possible, also making them hate the attacking bishop as they see them as just HS muling leechers. This may seem unfair but hey, welcome to MapleStory.
    That is the weirdest mentality ever. I basically grinded like a crazy person last night to hit the 110 minimum to enter the castle. Tried to do the quests, died ALOT because I hadn't the damage, and neither was my hp enough despite hp washing and equips to attack and heal (I'm stuck defensive casting), and LIVE. So I contact my guildmaster. I get hooked up with a party that's doing it right now. I basically spam hs and bless, and for added measure, I use holy shield as a heal since it works on ladders and heal doesn't. I pretty much level the next 5 levels with zero effort staying on a ladder. Then I get three more levels from a new party when a bishop joins the party, and the party disbands while he trades me a maple staff. I took zero risk, and was more a leech than half the people there, only having to cast something every 5 min or so. Whatever, I'm now nearly at 120 with almost no effort where before I had insane grind (made worse by insane build), and very careful spot picking.

It's just kinda up to the party I guess. The bishop was told to grind, I was told to buff. Which was probably for the best. I'd prefer it if they did tell me that WMA, simply because I realized until my stats catch up I'm much better as a support type (whoever keeps telling me that I'm doing it so I can solo is mistaken).
    Last edited by bulmabriefs144; 17th June 2012 at 09:49 PM.