Thread: Installing a new video card

Hybrid View

We're in a heap o'trouble Tesiqurasa's Avatar

Default Installing a new video card

I recently got a new video card, but am having problems installing. I have checked the requirements several times, and I meet them all (it's not very demanding). The only one I come close to is the PSU; I have exactly the minimum wattage.

I disabled my current integrated card (Intel HD), installed the new hardware, then booted up. It didn't recognize any new hardware, and when I ran the installation CD, it could not recognize compatible hardware. I reinstalled the hardware, but I am still getting the same issue. The card installation itself was pretty simple. I just had to replace the original bracket with two low profile ones, and pop it into place. There was no auxiliary power connector required.

I'm guessing the problem is one of the following, but before I spend forever trying, does anyone have suggestions?

-I have to completely uninstall the current drivers, not just disable them (although most places I checked said this would be sufficient)
    -I am not meeting the minimum power requirements
    -Either the new card or the PCI-E slot is defective

I'm not in a huge hurry; I just want to get it complete (or know that it can't be) within two weeks.
    Last edited by Tesiqurasa; 26th December 2011 at 07:37 AM.

Spoiler!

I can't exactly say why it isn't detecting your new video card, but I can say this:

I ran the Radeon 5570 on a 250 Watt PSU for a long time. (6 months+) so it isn't that. The wattage is really only recommended when you're doing GPU intensive tasks. Granted, you want to be around minimum, but for daily use, it isn't completely necessary. If your PC isn't detecting your video card, it may not actually be "plugged in" to anything. If it takes no external power supply, does it plug directly in to the Motherboard? What card is it, by the way?
    I know I'm not too good with GPUs yet, but I hope this generally helps you. I had a similar problem when I first got my card, too. If your PC isn't too old, your PCI-e slot shouldn't be bad. Does your motherboard accept external cards?
    And what are you using? HDMI, DVI, VGA?

I don't know if this has been said yet but make sure it recognizes the card on the BIOS menu.
    Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Quote Originally Posted by kaglover1 View Post
    But now I'm like screw that, I'm skipping to the part where Bella finally combines with Edward

What is the card we're talking about here? Model number would be sufficient, but the exact model/brand would be better to know. Also, what motherboard are you using?

Quote Originally Posted by Dae314 View Post
    What is the card we're talking about here? Model number would be sufficient, but the exact model/brand would be better to know. Also, what motherboard are you using?
    GTX 520 I'm pretty sure
    no idea about his motherboard
    Quote Originally Posted by kaglover1 View Post
    I was conceived around 4-5am.

We're in a heap o'trouble Tesiqurasa's Avatar

This is the card
    Motherboard:
    Board: Dell Inc. 0c2kjt A00
    Bus Clock: 133 megahertz

This is the computer I have, although the PSU is 300W.

Spoiler!