Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The best notebook/laptop to play maple?

Default The best notebook/laptop to play maple?

So I'm getting my first laptop in the near future before getting into post secondary education. I know i shouldn't play maplestory on there but i should download it firsthand if i get bored or done my hw/study. Yes I know that'd never happen.

I know a couple of you who actually play so i'm wondering which brand of computer runs maple with good quality- like no lag etc. And I'm aware fail has a strong opinion about Asus computers. Good for gaming but that's outta the question since it's too expensive.

Which one shall i get, I first thought about Dell but then how good is that computer running softwares?

Ex. acer/hp/toshiba...etc

It can't be too expensive and nor too big of a screen size. I'm looking for one that has a decent price. Perferably between $500-$800. Thanks
    Last edited by kaglover1; 10th May 2012 at 07:57 AM.

Icon11

At this point, I'd try to stay away from 1st generation Intel i-series processors. They're slightly cheaper, but the performance gains from sandy bridge and ivy bridge chips is really starting to date them. Especially because the integrated graphics on sandy and ivy are pretty powerful. Enough so that I'd say you could do maple no problem on sandy or ivy integrated graphics. Since Ivy Bridge literally just came out, laptop manufacturers are in the process of pushing out new computers this is kinda bad for you though since the prices of their old computers aren't necessarily going to drop immediately, and new ivy bridge computers are going to be fairly scarce and expensive.

This is an example of one of the new Ivy Bridge laptops (I'm not necessarily recommending this, I just looked for an Ivy Bridge laptop :P). Note on the processor model it says 3rd generation Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3610QM. You're looking for 3rd generation (a 3 in front of the model number) or 2nd generation (a 2 in front of the model number). Anything like this I wouldn't recommend simply because it's getting dated. Yes, you're only paying $400, but that price saving comes at the cost of running a machine that's approaching retirement (probably another year or so before that processor is mostly off the market). You aren't THAT tight on money right now so you should be OK with 2nd generation or a cheap 3rd generation.

Why am I pushing you to get 2nd or 3rd generation Intel? Partially because they're much better processors, but also because the integrated graphics on those chips are much stronger. For instance, the i7-2670QM (don't worry about the name) carries the HD 3000 graphics if you look down the page. That graphics, according to Toms Hardware (look on the right column), is equivalent to some low end desktop discrete cards. That's plenty of power to play MS with.

2nd generation Intel laptop processors are easy to find right now, and you're going to have a lot of options. However, if you want the BEST longevity for your computer, (by longevity here I mean time until you feel like your computer's too weak/slow for what you want to do) you should dig for a 3rd generation option. I would actually recommend you stick to 2nd generation because of your budget, but you should know about 3rd generation.

Now another good option for you would be a laptop using one of AMD's A-series processors. The integrated graphics on A-series chips is the most powerful integrated graphics on the market that I know of (beats Intel's graphics, but the processor isn't as powerful). AMD's A-series laptops aren't very expensive either (proof). The only thing about getting an A-series right now is that Trinity (the A-series' successor) is going to be released soon. This probably wouldn't affect you too much though.

Woah Dae. Don't overload her.

Anything simple can run MapleStory now so almost any laptop with a 2nd generation Intel core processor and at least 2GB (recommend 4GB) of RAM could do it. Getting one with even a mediocre laptop graphics card can last a person whose most game-intensive thing done on any computer being MapleStory last a long time. It isn't necessary of course because of the integrated graphics on Intel's processor which should run the game just fine.
    Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Quote Originally Posted by kaglover1 View Post
    But now I'm like screw that, I'm skipping to the part where Bella finally combines with Edward

I believe in educating people. She's going into college; she's not an idiot. Even if my post was dense, she should be able to read through it a couple times or read through it slowly and parse out the useful information. I'm also making a computer recommendation. This isn't like recommending a book or anime to someone. There is very little personal taste involved in a computer purchase, it's nearly all functionality. If you don't know what functionality you want you will get sold on a product that's not really what you want because that's what advertising does. She can either learn to see past the system herself or just blindly trust others to see past the system for her.

Beginner

Quote Originally Posted by Dae314 View Post
    I believe in educating people. She's going into college; she's not an idiot. Even if my post was dense, she should be able to read through it a couple times or read through it slowly and parse out the useful information. I'm also making a computer recommendation. This isn't like recommending a book or anime to someone. There is very little personal taste involved in a computer purchase, it's nearly all functionality. If you don't know what functionality you want you will get sold on a product that's not really what you want because that's what advertising does. She can either learn to see past the system herself or just blindly trust others to see past the system for her.
    Agree totoally. Education never hurts especially when you spend hard earned coin. He knows what he talks about. Personally, I love the AMD A series. Especially for a laptop. The graphics are excellent, processor is speedy, handles MS well. Except for laggy towns. ugh. I have a desktop AMD A6.

Toshiba is a well regarded brand. HP usually has great deals but I would research the reliability first. Toms Hardware is a great place for info. So is PC World. Good luck with your search!
    Last edited by SoulCat; 10th May 2012 at 10:57 AM. Reason: thought of something extra

Pretty much any of the current generation's integrated solutions should be able to run MS without a problem for the most part. For the college part, I found the extra hard drive space really helpful, so I suggest going for something with a reasonable hard drive rather than worrying if it'll run MS (because it will lol).

That said, you don't need to spend too much to do what you need to do. A HP ProBook 4530s goes for $450 and should do everything you need; you want a little more punch on the graphics side of thing (at the cost of battery life), the Acer Aspire AS5560 seems pretty decent as well at $480, though the brand does have a reputation for being lower quality to so they can fit more advanced stuff in the things for less :x

Both have a 15.6" screen, same resolution, a numpad, 500GB hard drive, and 4GB of DDR3 RAM.
    Might I suggest an external hard drive to store anything important in case anything would to happen to your laptop in college as well? $70 will net you a 640GB external by Seagate and that'll probably store everything you need in case anything happens.
    「僕たちの前にはいまだ巨大すぎる人生が、茫漠とした時間がどうしようもなく横たわっていた。 」
    "We live in a very special time: the only time where we can observationally verify that we live at a very special time." -Lawrence Krauss

If you need something that lasts four years or more, please, please, PLEASE, stay away from HP.
    If you need something that breaks in one year or less so you have an excuse to upgrade your computer, then by all means buy an HP. As a bonus your hard drive fails (as did my dad's when he had an HP) and you lose all your data and fork over $1000 to recover it.

Also if you're not doing heavy gaming, ASUS isn't too expensive.
    Butts.

213 181 178 166 165 164 162 152 147 135 134 130 125 123 123 120 120 104 100 100

Quote Originally Posted by FailFTW View Post
    If you need something that lasts four years or more, please, please, PLEASE, stay away from HP.
    If you need something that breaks in one year or less so you have an excuse to upgrade your computer, then by all means buy an HP. As a bonus your hard drive fails (as did my dad's when he had an HP) and you lose all your data and fork over $1000 to recover it.

Also if you're not doing heavy gaming, ASUS isn't too expensive.
    I have an old(-ish) HP laptop in the house (Vista era, when Vista first came out) and it's still alive and kicking. As long as you take care of it, it should be fine o_o
    「僕たちの前にはいまだ巨大すぎる人生が、茫漠とした時間がどうしようもなく横たわっていた。 」
    "We live in a very special time: the only time where we can observationally verify that we live at a very special time." -Lawrence Krauss

I'm really not a tech person, I know next to nothing about computers- what Omar had said. Just give me samples of notebooks that i can buy that performs all those tasks.
    Last edited by kaglover1; 10th May 2012 at 07:04 PM.