Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hardware Upgrade

Icon11

Some things to note:

I didn't bother looking at your old build, but just in case you're trying to stick DDR2 memory in there, don't do it. DDR2 memory isn't going to work with DDR3 slots. Get new memory, DDR3 is cheap so don't worry about it.

The case only accepts half size cards so you're going to need to find a wi-fi card that has a half size bracket.

Always the Bridesmaid... bulmabriefs144's Avatar

Oh goody. What do I do with the memcards I've already ordered then?

Btw, right now I can't run maple anyway, and don't understand why. It said something like -264837463 or something after BlackCypher ran. So I uninstalled it anyway, being pissed after roughly a 5 hour download.

I think it sounds like a good case with decent cooling and plenty of juice = computer growth potential, from what I'm understanding. So I want a case that adds to this with plenty of expansion space (my current one is very WYSIWYG with really just one drive slot and little or no expansions).

I've had notoriously bad experiences with USB plugging to wireless. I'll pass in favor of something internal. I have NETGEAR. Do I need to worry about brands?

Are drive spaces standard? I wanna install my old CD drive (it sux, but it'll do until I get something better) in the 5.25 slot.

CPU: AMD-Llano 3300 ($61)
    Motherboard:ASRock A75M-ITX ($90)
    Memory: 4GB (2x2GB) of DDR3 1333 ($23) (Damn it...)
    Graphics: On Board Graphics
    Power Supply: Included With Case
    Hard Drive:Western Digital Caviar Blue 320GB SATA III ($75)
    CPU Cooler:Stock Cooling
    Case: In Win C589T.CQ450TBL ($79)
    Disc Drive: My current DVD Player (I hacked it so it's regionless)
    Wifi Card: Intel 112BN.HMWWB Centrino Wireless-N ($18) (someone correct me if this doesn't work, I have Netgear, on WPA2 I think)

Also, what should I do about an OS (I've got my Windows XP disc but it's for a different computer)? Is it possible to run a computer OS-less? What about drivers for all this stuff?
    Last edited by bulmabriefs144; 19th May 2012 at 04:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bulmabriefs144 View Post
    Oh goody. What do I do with the memcards I've already ordered then?

Btw, right now I can't run maple anyway, and don't understand why. It said something like -264837463 or something after BlackCypher ran. So I uninstalled it anyway, being pissed after roughly a 5 hour download.

I think it sounds like a good case with decent cooling and plenty of juice = computer growth potential, from what I'm understanding. So I want a case that adds to this with plenty of expansion space (my current one is very WYSIWYG with really just one drive slot and little or no expansions).

I've had notoriously bad experiences with USB plugging to wireless. I'll pass in favor of something internal. I have NETGEAR. Do I need to worry about brands?

Are drive spaces standard? I wanna install my old CD drive (it sux, but it'll do until I get something better) in the 5.25 slot.

CPU: AMD-Llano 3300 ($61)
    Motherboard:ASRock A75M-ITX ($90)
    Memory: 4GB (2x2GB) of DDR3 1333 ($23) (Damn it...)
    Graphics: On Board Graphics
    Power Supply: Included With Case
    Hard Drive:Western Digital Caviar Blue 320GB SATA III ($75)
    CPU Cooler:Stock Cooling
    Case: In Win C589T.CQ450TBL ($79)
    Disc Drive: My current DVD Player (I hacked it so it's regionless)
    Wifi Card: Intel 112BN.HMWWB Centrino Wireless-N ($18) (someone correct me if this doesn't work, I have Netgear, on WPA2 I think)

Also, what should I do about an OS (I've got my Windows XP disc but it's for a different computer)? Is it possible to run a computer OS-less? What about drivers for all this stuff?
    Ya, drives should be standard. I still recommend you get the larger 500GB hard drive, though; for $5 more that's a a pretty decent upgrade.
    「僕たちの前にはいまだ巨大すぎる人生が、茫漠とした時間がどうしようもなく横たわっていた。 」
    "We live in a very special time: the only time where we can observationally verify that we live at a very special time." -Lawrence Krauss

The old memory cards can be great paperweights.
    Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Quote Originally Posted by kaglover1 View Post
    But now I'm like screw that, I'm skipping to the part where Bella finally combines with Edward

Quote Originally Posted by omarXRanger View Post
    The old memory cards can be great paperweights.
    Melt it down for the raw materials :D
    "We live in a very special time: the only time where we can observationally verify that we live at a very special time." -Lawrence Krauss

Icon11

The only potential problem with using your old CD drive is the connection type. Pay attention now I'm going to use a bit of logic:

IF
    your old drive is not connected by SATA
    AND
    that motherboard doesn't have a port where you can stick an old ATA connection
    THEN
    you will have a problem.

I'm not sure what you're talking about with that case. The case you have is an HTPC case made for mini-ITX boards. It's going to be one of the smallest things you'll ever see. I haven't measured, but it would probably be similar in size to your VCR (which is why it needs half size expansion cards). There's only 1 expansion slot on it, and I believe there should only be one 5.5" and one 3.5" drive bay on it. If you want a bigger case you should get a bigger case xD.

You can't exactly reuse your XP unless you contact microsoft and hop through all their hoops. Basically you bought the thing licensed to 1 PC, and usually you're supposed to get another license for another PC. However, if you make up a good enough story I've heard they'll let you wipe out the OS on your old computer and put the same one on your new one. And no you can't run a computer with no OS -_-. If you need a free OS for a while go with Ubuntu or some other Linux distro.

Looking at that case, it seems like not so good of an idea. It's only got one 120mm rear fan for cooling. Even if it's a daily non gaming Computer, you need more than one fan in hot Summer days..

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811147153

This case is $50, it's got a sweet blue light, it's big, so it will have plenty of room inside, and -it comes with three fans. 1 x 140mm top fan, 1 x 120mm Rear, and 1 x 120mm front. You can also install two 120mm side door fans.
    ABSOLUTELY recommend this case.

Always the Bridesmaid... bulmabriefs144's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dae314 View Post
    The only potential problem with using your old CD drive is the connection type. Pay attention now I'm going to use a bit of logic: IF your old drive is not connected by SATA AND that motherboard doesn't have a port where you can stick an old ATA connection THEN you will have a problem. I'm not sure what you're talking about with that case. The case you have is an HTPC case made for mini-ITX boards. It's going to be one of the smallest things you'll ever see. I haven't measured, but it would probably be similar in size to your VCR (which is why it needs half size expansion cards). There's only 1 expansion slot on it, and I believe there should only be one 5.5" and one 3.5" drive bay on it. If you want a bigger case you should get a bigger case xD. You can't exactly reuse your XP unless you contact microsoft and hop through all their hoops. Basically you bought the thing licensed to 1 PC, and usually you're supposed to get another license for another PC. However, if you make up a good enough story I've heard they'll let you wipe out the OS on your old computer and put the same one on your new one. And no you can't run a computer with no OS -_-. If you need a free OS for a while go with Ubuntu or some other Linux distro.
    Isn't there like some business version of the OS? I remember using the same disc for like a zillion computers when I was working as a techie at hospice. Yea, one of these. If I had this, I could just get whatever computer I wanted installed with an OS and it would install just fine.

How do you wipe out the old one? Oh nvm, goto CMD and type in "del windows" and repeatedly say Y to "are you sure"?

The license is stored where? The hard drive? Mebbe I'll keep the hard drive, or transfer its contents somehow (is there a way to do this). Yea, not the greatest idea since memory sux, but at least I'd have a working OS with no conflicts. Or maybe I can get multiple hard disks and such.

Yeah, I would try this case but I would want a powersupply. What do you recommend?

(Update: this just in, MS is run by a bunch of retards. I register to APPLY to get a volume license, they tell me to get a business email. I use my normal email. They tell me to enter my authorization and licensing codes. Look, any normal company would the proper authorization sent to me AFTER I BUY THE LICENSE)
    Last edited by bulmabriefs144; 19th May 2012 at 10:44 PM.

Icon11

Bulma no wait wtf are you doing? I feel like I'm talking to a hyperactive child x_x.

I don't know why you're trying to get a volume license for Windows, but that is not the way to go. You want Windows for what... 2 machines? Microsoft's just going to tell you to buy 2 copies. The point of a volume license is to allow large companies to deploy tons of computers easily (using something like a system image). You think you can just get a volume license key for free? Think again. I assume there's a discount if you get enough licenses, but you're pretty much paying for every single key. The reason Microsoft only allows businesses to do this is because businesses can get evaluated. As the wiki page mentioned, VLK's usually bypass activation which means Microsoft can't really control how many computers you deploy to. However, what they can do is send some official down once a year to evaluate how many computers have their software installed using that key. If the number of computers with the software exceeds the number of licenses you purchased, your business gets fined.

You COULD try to get your old Windows to install on your new machine without going through Microsoft, but your actions would not be legal. If you ever got caught there would be consequences. You're not "pirating" the software, but you only bought the rights to one computer under the license agreement. You're supposed to pay for another computer.

If you really really want a VLK for whatever reason you could possibly have (none) you could go register a new LLC under your name and get the VLK under that LLC's name.

JUST USE LINUX or buy another Windows

I'm not going to tell you how to retrieve your Windows license key from your computer. You can look it up online, but I'm not going to assist you with that.

You're not going to wipe out the OS from inside the OS -_-. Go look for a drive erase program that you can burn onto a disc and boot from.

You can just buy an OEM version of Windows 7 ._.
    Or use Linux :D