Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hardware Upgrade

Always the Bridesmaid... bulmabriefs144's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dae314 View Post
    Bulma no wait wtf are you doing? I feel like I'm talking to a hyperactive child x_x.

I don't know why you're trying to get a volume license for Windows, but that is not the way to go. You want Windows for what... 2 machines?

JUST USE LINUX or buy another Windows

I'm not going to tell you how to retrieve your Windows license key from your computer. You can look it up online, but I'm not going to assist you with that.

You're not going to wipe out the OS from inside the OS -_-. Go look for a drive erase program that you can burn onto a disc and boot from.
    (Linux probably sucks) Yea I understand volume copies cost money. A ton of money that's completely unnecessary for home use. But it would be the most legal way of going about it, and for what I actually want, I can't see paying for Windows again.

I want to have one copy of Windows, just one computer (most of the old parts I'm chucking in the trash, I'm not having two separate computers). So what if 3/4 of the machine would now be new, it's an upgrade. So I'm keeping the hard drive. I might however have a double hard drive, and upgrade from there.

I have a legit windows key because I have a legit Windows CD, so it's a matter of new hardware. If it tells me no way anyway, then I'm gonna try Linux.

On Linux probably sucking, can you use the following programs?

• Rpg Maker 2003
    • Maplestory
    • PowerDVD
    • random .exe files that aren't specifically made for Linux

If not, then it's a no-go, and I'll find some way to do this some other way that I can't mention...

OEM Windows 7? I'd much rather use Linux. If I was worried about upgrading and having Windows pick apart everything I do before, Windows 7 doesn't even have a disc in most cases, meaning everything is internalized.

Oh, hell, I'll try Linux today after backing everything up. This way, I technically won't have any copies of the license in question, and if I like it I can just have that. That is, if someone can explain how to do that on this antiquated computer (I mean for reals, not Wubi's halfway version, since that's not gonna be the case on a brand new computer).
    Last edited by bulmabriefs144; 20th May 2012 at 09:57 AM.

Use whatever OS you want. I'm not a Linux user so I can't speak for program compatibility, but I assume that you're trying to get around the OS problem because of money issues. Linux is free. If you can just use Linux until you have enough money to afford a copy of Windows you would be fine. You're not entitled to an operating system just because you have a computer. The only way you can legally transfer your old OS would be to contact Microsoft and get their permission (like I said you can just make up a story about viruses and whatnot). I do not recommend trying to get a pirated copy of Windows simply because you're blatantly stealing that OS. If you can't get Microsoft to authorize a transfer and you can't afford a new operating system then you go without.

As for what you're saying about W7, I have no idea what you're saying and I couldn't care less.

Linux doesn't suck at all. Maplestory sucks for not working with it.
    Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Quote Originally Posted by kaglover1 View Post
    But now I'm like screw that, I'm skipping to the part where Bella finally combines with Edward

Windows 7 sux balls. I when working on a job reformatting computers for an office, had like two Windows 7 computers. The Vista was kinda weird, Windows 7 was even stranger. Some such basic program you'd expect to be there was really hard to find (it was something in the Control Panel, maybe System, Display, or Internet Options), and you had to upgrade to Ultimate version for all their decent features. I looked at the list of features for Ultimate. They were things I already could do on XP.

If I must, I'll install Linux on whatever new computer (I tried it on this one, and it stalled my comp to a crawl). If I can't get around it just by reformatting my old hard drive with new hardware. If Microsoft people come to my door for upgrading a computer, I'll pull out my shotgun, because they're obviously burglars there to steal my money.

Win7 is good. Don't hate it because you don't know it.
    Spoiler!

Spoiler!

But now I'm like screw that, I'm skipping to the part where Bella finally combines with Edward

Quote Originally Posted by bulmabriefs144 View Post
    If I can't get around it just by reformatting my old hard drive with new hardware. If Microsoft people come to my door for upgrading a computer, I'll pull out my shotgun, because they're obviously burglars there to steal my money.
    LOL ok tell us when you have a list of stuff you're going to get finalized and I'll give it 1 more review before you buy :).

omar I have tried Win 7. It sucked. I tried the most basic version. Progress dictates that the most basic version of the new line (Win7 Starter) is at least as good as the 2nd grade of the former line (WinXP Home). It wasn't. It froze after only two programs were open. Not to mention, it was so horribly bare bones that you are practically forced to get a more expensive version.

I tried Linux (Ubuntu). It seemed like it was fairly good (noticed my programs/hardware right away without a driver). Unfortunately, ummm it seemed like I hadn't quite the hardware, as it tended to freeze and I had to wait and wait for the reboot (it couldn't finish it, and it reverted when I restarted the computer after halfway). Also, my internet was so horrible that I couldn't do the 4GB installation since it needed the net (and I didn't quite know how to config).

CPU: AMD-Llano 3300 ($61)
    Motherboard:ASRock A75M-ITX ($90)
    Memory: 4GB (2x2GB) of DDR3 1333 ($23)
    Graphics: On Board Graphics
    Power Supply: Something between $10-25 that's good (I dunno power cords, I don't wanna spend too much money)
    Hard Drive:Western Digital Caviar Blue 320GB SATA III ($75) (I don't need $5 extra for a 500 GB, I'm gonna have a double hard drive just cuz)
    CPU Cooler: Included With Case
    Case: Rosewill Challenger ($49)
    Disc Drive: My current DVD Player (for now anyway)
    Wifi Card: Intel 112BN.HMWWB Centrino Wireless-N ($18)

If you're running win7 on dinosaur PCs it will probably freeze with a a couple programs up. I never had a problem with win7.
    Spoiler!

Spoiler!

If the OS freezes, it's your hardware's fault.
    Butts.

213 181 178 166 165 164 162 152 147 135 134 130 125 123 123 120 120 104 100 100

Well, it wasn't my computer that did it, so I dunno. It actually seemed fast otherwise, making me think worse of it, since it seemed like it was getting slowed down by its actual software (or some sorta glitch). It was insta-loading with single tasks, and then I opened My Computer (task #2) and BAM! Dead in the water. It was definitely the case of insufficient hardware for Ubuntu. Couldn't move the mouse without practically crashing the computer.

Check the power sources, and see if you can find something cheap and good. I want enough power to give juice to this thing, without breaking the bank.