Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hardware Upgrade

Always the Bridesmaid... bulmabriefs144's Avatar

Default Hardware Upgrade

First off, any and all "you should switch to Windows Vista/7/Whatever" comments will be ignored. I can't afford a new computer, and I frankly don't like the diskless reboot of Windows 7. I can however afford to buy individual pieces, if I know exactly what is compatible, and how to install it.

I have a Dell Dimension 2400 (it's old as sin, but that's fine by me). I currently only know enough about hardware replacement to switch out memory cards (so I bought two 1GB cards for 2GB, assuming they work). I need a decent wifi card (I'm currently needing to plug in a USB router, and it's doing some sort of thing where the USB connections interfere with each other, disabling my DVD external), a video card of some sort, a better processing chip (optional, see next sentence), and mebbe more memory (optional, see next sentence). Ideally, I'd like to run Skyrim, but this may be impossible given the age of my computer. Failing this, I'd simply like to decrease the general incidence of blue screen of doom for paging in non-paged (and fix this error anyway), and speed my internet up to the point where I can actually watch streaming videos and play some MMO games.
    Last edited by bulmabriefs144; 15th May 2012 at 09:00 AM.

If your computer is as old as you claim it is, might need to buy a better computer to run Skyrim because if that computer doesn't at least have a dual core processor with 2.0GHz or above you're going to have a difficult time. Not only that but 2GB of RAM is pretty much the bare minimum. Also with the power supply possibly being a relatively low wattage you're going to be running a very low-key GPU if you can find one that is compatible. In reality it will not be pretty.

So buy a new computer if you really want to play Skyrim.
    Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Quote Originally Posted by kaglover1 View Post
    But now I'm like screw that, I'm skipping to the part where Bella finally combines with Edward

If you buy pieces of a new computer it would end up being cheaper than scrounging up what hardware is left that is compatible with your dinosaur.

In every possible conceivable way, your computer model in its best possible hardware configuration will not even START Skyrim.

With the current motherboard in your system you have basically no good options for upgrading. The best CPU for it is horribly outdated, your maximum RAM capacity is probably gonna be 2GB. If not, then it will be 3.2GB. Both of which isn't gonna be enough. Your motherboard probably doesn't even HAVE AGP slots, let alone the current-tech PCI-e slots. In short, you're gonna need a new motherboard, which means a completely new PC build.
    Also your 250W PSU isn't gonna power any sort of graphics card without pooping itself.
    Last edited by FailFTW; 15th May 2012 at 10:18 AM.
    Butts.

213 181 178 166 165 164 162 152 147 135 134 130 125 123 123 120 120 104 100 100

(Still can't afford it, unless I knew how to assemble a computer from scratch for cheap)

So, ummm either knowing the basic parts and having a real step by step using newegg or something, or scratch that and going with plan B, just trying to get my computer good enough to be like 5 years old rather than 10+.

What graphics cards are compatible with dell? What other stuff?

Let's see, new motherboard. New PSU (dunno how to type that in at amazon's listings... power source?) Possibly new video card. New router card. Getting new memory card. Let's leave the hard drive more or less the same for now, as I'm not likely to play skyrim or anything like that. New sound card probably, or is that built in with the other stuff? New coolant probably.

Give me specs for a 5 year old computer with new whatever (anything past that, and I probably can't afford, not to mention if it's plan B, I'm really just trying for lagless processing when watching videos or whatever)
    Last edited by bulmabriefs144; 15th May 2012 at 10:38 AM.

If you get a new motherboard you're going to get a lot more stuff that's new. In the end it's no different than building a new computer.
    Spoiler!

Spoiler!

But now I'm like screw that, I'm skipping to the part where Bella finally combines with Edward

Okay then, though it's semantics.

Basically, I guess I am building a new computer, with the frame the same, and my OS and backup files the same. And maybe some nonessential hardware the same.

Gimme a list of new stuff, and what I need to do (short of welding stuff).

What's your budget? You said it's small, but you haven't said an amount yet. I'll tell you now that if you're under $300, you're going to need to recycle some parts from your old computer and/or buy stuff used. Anything $400 and over you should be able to craft something from the bare minimum parts that'll work for you (all new). See my guide under the budget build for hints on that.

$1400 total, but I need $1000 in case my car breaks down or I get stuck out on the street or other wonderful depressing things. So, under $400, or more later. I'm going for a Budget Home Theater (lower max hard drive, and replacing the TV Tuner with a built-in wifi card)

CPU: AMD-Llano 3300 ($61) (The model listed had to be updated)

Motherboard:ASRock A75M-ITX ($90)

Memory:What I got ($30)

Graphics: On Board Graphics

Power Supply: Included With Case

Hard Drive:Western Digital Caviar Blue 320GB SATA III ($75)

CPU Cooler:Stock Cooling

Case:In Win BP655.200BL ($48)

Disc Drive: My current DVD Player (I hacked it so it's regionless)

Wifi Card: ASUS(PCE-N15) Wireless-N Network Adapter ( 300Mbps Transmit / 300Mbps Receive) with PCI-E interface $27.50

About $330 (if I hold off awhile on the Wifi and the new Hard Drive it's even lower initial cost). Any glaring problems? Will it crash if I try to play maplestory? Also, what about drivers? I'm using my old OS, with whatever software updates I can.
    Last edited by bulmabriefs144; 15th May 2012 at 01:44 PM.

You should invest in DDR3 RAM instead of what you have because what you have is horrid.
    Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Quote Originally Posted by bulmabriefs144 View Post
    $1400 total, but I need $1000 in case my car breaks down or I get stuck out on the street or other wonderful depressing things. So, under $400, or more later. I'm going for a Budget Home Theater (lower max hard drive, and replacing the TV Tuner with a built-in wifi card)

CPU: AMD-Llano 3300 ($61) (The model listed had to be updated)

Motherboard:ASRock A75M-ITX ($90)

Memory:What I got ($30)

Graphics: On Board Graphics

Power Supply: Included With Case

Hard Drive:Western Digital Caviar Blue 320GB SATA III ($75)

CPU Cooler:Stock Cooling

Case:In Win BP655.200BL ($48)

Disc Drive: My current DVD Player (I hacked it so it's regionless)

Wifi Card: ASUS(PCE-N15) Wireless-N Network Adapter ( 300Mbps Transmit / 300Mbps Receive) with PCI-E interface $27.50

About $330 (if I hold off awhile on the Wifi and the new Hard Drive it's even lower initial cost). Any glaring problems? Will it crash if I try to play maplestory? Also, what about drivers? I'm using my old OS, with whatever software updates I can.
    Let's see what we can do here, then o_o

Here's a bigger hard drive for $5 more (500GB)
    Cheaper wireless adapter ($15). It may be USB, but it doesn't really matter unless you absolutely need an extra USB2.0 slot.
    4GB (2x2GB) of DDR3 1333 ($23). (Costs the same as 2GB of DDR3, so why not?)

As it stands, this system should be able to run MapleStory. The HD6410D is pretty darn weak, though (weaker than Intel's HD3000 series IIRC); a better (and definitely more popular) choice is the A6 3650 for $100 so you have a little bit more power on the iGP (as well as having a quad core as opposed to a dual, but that doesn't really matter as much for older games), but that may be stretching your budget a bit.
    Last edited by FanOfKOTOKO; 16th May 2012 at 06:25 AM.
    「僕たちの前にはいまだ巨大すぎる人生が、茫漠とした時間がどうしようもなく横たわっていた。 」
    "We live in a very special time: the only time where we can observationally verify that we live at a very special time." -Lawrence Krauss