Thread: emailbox's Shadower Guide

Default emailbox's Shadower Guide

Hi everyone. I've been thinking of writing this for a while now, but was really too lazy to do so... But I've finally gotten to it. So here it is! Note that it's best viewed in the Dark theme, as is everything else (check the bottom left corner of this page to switch from bright to dark). Also I feel like the size of the regular font is incredibly small on this forum on the dark theme, but whatever.

emailbox's
    Shadower Guide
    etc etc etc
    also zveil is cute <3

Introduction!
    Spoiler!

Disclaimer
    Spoiler!

Why should I play a Shadower?

The primary reason why I play a Shadower is because they are fun. They are highly mobile, can deal lots of damage even with low(ish...) amounts of funding, and are extremely survivable. With enough LUK (and luck!) you can get through long hours of training only being hit like once, and even that damage is reduced with Meso Guard, which blocks 60% of incoming damage.

They're a very nice blend of high survivability, cool looking skills, and a nice pile of damage. You can combo many of their skills together, and almost all of their skills synergize with each other. Since the Revamp, their damage isn't only high, with about 110 weapon attack coming from skills (ie, for free!), it's also balanced, with a total of 90% mastery in 4th job. They've got Assassinate, which is pretty much max damage on the last hit, and a 50 ATT (!) buff that stacks with every other buff in the game!

Thanks to Meso Explosion, they can train extremely well in high density maps, and thanks to the powerful Boomerang Step, they can train in lower density maps as well. They can also boss very effectively, thanks to BStep's invincibility frames (iframes), their 45% dodge chance, and Smokescreen every 5 minutes... stacked with their huge avoidability!

In short, the class is fun to play because you're not just holding down one button for 8 hours. Instead, you should actively be switching between skills for the optimal amount of damage and survivability.

Onto the guide!

AP Allocation

There are several ways you can allocate your Ability Points, of which you gain 5 of every time you level up.

1. DEXless.
    Spoiler!

2. Low DEX
    Spoiler!

3. Other DEX
    Spoiler!

SP Allocations
    A general sort of idea of where to put your Skill points into.

1st Job
    Spoiler!

2nd Job
    Spoiler!

3rd Job
    Spoiler!

4th Job
    Spoiler!

Gearing Options

This probably won't be updated, ever. Since DEX isn't a problem anymore, just aim for a level 80 top/bottom and cube; if you can afford to, save up for the 140 Raven Horn set.
    Leaving this here for nostalgia reasons.
    Spoiler!

Training Locations

Spoiler!

Job Advancements
    1st Job
    Spoiler!

2nd Job
    Spoiler!

3rd Job
    Spoiler!

4th Job
    Spoiler!

HYPER SKILLS

Shad Hyper Skills look to be really really good. Here's a look at what we're getting in the upcoming patches. (Double spoilered for convenience/bandwidth reasons)
    (Here's a link to all the Hyper Skills)
    Spoiler!

That's all for now. Will hopefully update with more graphics to make the guide look pretty, but for now...

TO DO LIST:
    1. Training locations
    2. Job advancement
    3. Gearing goals
    4. Tips, tricks, other things
    5. Comments on revamp and upcoming patches
    6. Make things pretty with more images, less monotone colours, and other such lovely things.
    Last edited by emailbox; 28th December 2012 at 08:00 AM.

Too cool for bot zapping Clockwork's Avatar

One small complaint. The right alignment is a little annoying. Otherwise, shaping up to be a good guide.

Moved it to center. :o
    Hopefully it's better.

bolt202/veil225/feint200

Yes. Much easier to read.

super kawaii guide, kgo

Quote Originally Posted by CVS View Post
    super kawaii guide, kgo
    :( Not yet..
    I only have like one image on it ;_;

I'll get around to making it kawaii someday..

bolt202/veil225/feint200

Update with a relatively terrible gearing helper.

bolt202/veil225/feint200

Just a small things here.

3rd job is also where you'll encounter the first of the two Shadower-specific shields, the Khanjar
    This is misleading. I equip Khanjars (and a dagger) all the time and troll around with double stab. They're not "Shadower-specific" per se. Not like a Katana is for DBs anyway. Figured it might be good to clarify.

Updated for post-v125
    Took longer than I expected u_u

Also added hyper skill "analysis".
    Last edited by emailbox; 28th December 2012 at 08:01 AM.

bolt202/veil225/feint200

Beginner

Good guide, ty!