Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who is in the wrong?

Default Who is in the wrong?

A person knows that doing a certain something may make them the centerpoint of bullying, ridicule, and mean "jokes". They decide to do that certain something anyways and a large handful of people decide to bully, ridicule, and make mean "jokes" about them. Who is in the wrong? Those who joined in on the bullying,ridiculing, mean "joking", or the person who did this certain something that opened themselves up to the bullying, ridiculing, mean "joking"?

Compare different scenarios:

• A person decides to "come out of the closet" and tells his/her friends and acquaintances that he/she is homosexual (or transexual and all that LGBT stuff) and is subjected to bullying.
    • A girl decides to model for some photoshoots in a bikini and people are calling her a slut and stuff.
    • A boy decides to tell his friends and acquaintances that he buys adult magazines and "relief" himself everyday and people harass him everyday.
    • A person tries or does something they aren't good at (like say dancing or singing) because they love it and people tell him/her to stop simply because he/she cannot and it annoys people when they can ignore it.

Who is in the wrong? The person who does a certain thing but can ultimately avoid all problems, or the people who bully, ridicule, make mean "jokes" when they can perfectly keep their mouths shut?
    by Cryopon

Is this at all related to your brother? Honestly I think the victim's parents are at fault. How they treat their kids and not ask what happens every day at school, harassment is bound to occur. But if the victims don't open up, parents won't know and it will keep happening.

And also think before you blurt something out like he buys adult magazines and "relief" himself everyday.
    Your last point, don't care about what other people think. If you like dancing/singing do it.
    Last edited by kaglover1; 12th July 2012 at 04:21 AM.

It's wrong for others to bully and tease, however it really does depend on what it is exactly, their personality, and the sort of people doing to bullying.
    Both types of people are in the wrong to me. If the person who revealed or did whatever then they should have known the possible consequences. As for the bullies, that is just wrong already.
    Spoiler!

My art blog

We're in a heap o'trouble Tesiqurasa's Avatar

I think it's subjective to the scenario.

Using these examples

1: I think almost all of the fault rests on the bullies in this case, assuming the individual does not go into detail about his or her personal life. Which brings me to situation #3...
    3: Who you are sexually is important, especially since Western culture puts such an emphasis on defining sexuality. What you do sexually should only be you and your partner's business, regardless of sexual identity. While bullying is still wrong in this instance, the person calling attention to otherwise private affairs should be aware that it can cause a bit of irritation.
    Using a slightly more irritating situation:
    No one likes the BRO at the party bragging about his sexual exploits except other BROS. Most people just find it annoying.

Again, this relates to example #4. If they enjoy singing/dancing, that's perfectly fine. There are plenty of karaoke bars that willing accept awful singers because everyone realizes it's fun to sing, even if the singer is bad. Saying "I like to sing/dance, but I'm bad at it" shouldn't garner "bullying". This isn't the town in footloose. However, jumping out into the street and belting out a terrible tune will almost certainly attract negativity, and the singer has a responsibility to be aware of the consequences.

tl;dr
    Defining who we are to people who care or would be affected is fine.
    Expression of individuality can attract negativity, and the responsibility falls on both parties (but again, this will vary by situation).

However, if the person attracting "bullies" is too incompetent to realize what they are doing, then it gets even trickier. Many incompetent people truly believe they are perfectly adjusted and can understand basic social situations, when in reality they cannot. Expecting "bullies" to completely adjust to these people is unrealistic. However, there is going to be a difference between being blunt and being cruel in the interactions. Both come off as abrasive, but I believe one is acceptable and the other not.

Spoiler!

Quote Originally Posted by Tesiqurasa View Post
    I think it's subjective to the scenario.

Using these examples

1: I think almost all of the fault rests on the bullies in this case, assuming the individual does not go into detail about his or her personal life. Which brings me to situation #3...
    3: Who you are sexually is important, especially since Western culture puts such an emphasis on defining sexuality. What you do sexually should only be you and your partner's business, regardless of sexual identity. While bullying is still wrong in this instance, the person calling attention to otherwise private affairs should be aware that it can cause a bit of irritation.
    Using a slightly more irritating situation:
    No one likes the BRO at the party bragging about his sexual exploits except other BROS. Most people just find it annoying.

Again, this relates to example #4. If they enjoy singing/dancing, that's perfectly fine. There are plenty of karaoke bars that willing accept awful singers because everyone realizes it's fun to sing, even if the singer is bad. Saying "I like to sing/dance, but I'm bad at it" shouldn't garner "bullying". This isn't the town in footloose. However, jumping out into the street and belting out a terrible tune will almost certainly attract negativity, and the singer has a responsibility to be aware of the consequences.

tl;dr
    Defining who we are to people who care or would be affected is fine.
    Expression of individuality can attract negativity, and the responsibility falls on both parties (but again, this will vary by situation).

However, if the person attracting "bullies" is too incompetent to realize what they are doing, then it gets even trickier. Many incompetent people truly believe they are perfectly adjusted and can understand basic social situations, when in reality they cannot. Expecting "bullies" to completely adjust to these people is unrealistic. However, there is going to be a difference between being blunt and being cruel in the interactions. Both come off as abrasive, but I believe one is acceptable and the other not.

last paragraph is about kaglover
    Quote Originally Posted by kaglover1 View Post
    I was conceived around 4-5am.

Quote Originally Posted by ithrow4luk View Post
    last paragraph is about kaglover
    I have an objection!

dont be an attention whore

save the world.
    thread is about bulma and kag

bolt202/veil225/feint200

lol dark theme
    Butts.

213 181 178 166 165 164 162 152 147 135 134 130 125 123 123 120 120 104 100 100

I have an objection!
    Overruled.
    Spoiler!

Spoiler!

But now I'm like screw that, I'm skipping to the part where Bella finally combines with Edward

Quote Originally Posted by FailFTW View Post
    lol dark theme
    that's the point ;)

bolt202/veil225/feint200