Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Equip: Ignore x% of the enemy's DEF when attacking. Any good for mage?

Always the Bridesmaid... bulmabriefs144's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LostZodiac View Post
    So wait, let me get this right, it's a % of a %? That seems extremely convoluted and semi-dumb why not just make it possible to do damage to a mob as if they have no defense %, I doubt it would make that much of a difference considering how hard people hit on average now.
    Don't get it either.

Even if it was simply a minus percent, instead a percented percent, the defense we're talking is ignore defense.

Omar, this is not a "chance to boost damage" it's a chance to ignore defense ignore, (and I assume it can't ignore past the actual number, unlike crits) so there shouldn't be some reason why you have to get 100% in order to completely remove ignore. 75%-75% is 0% defense ignore (with no negatives this means 0% reduction of 50k high is 50k high, and whatever low). Anything else is absurd, especially since if it's multiplied by the % it's now dependent in the percent itself (which is totally broken), instead of a flat reduction.

75%-5% = 70%
    50%-5% = 45%
    25%-5% = 20%

5% difference, period.

With the other formula, it's something like this.

30% = ~4%
    50% = ~7%
    70% = ~10%

Nexon, please explain why you can't do simple math. (monster_reduction - (various armor sums+ skill/other bonuses)) = x% , and x=0 if x<0. Even someone like me can figure out code like this, and I failed the math section of a GRE. This is broken as all hell, because at a certain point, you run into the Law of Diminishing Returns.
    Last edited by bulmabriefs144; 27th August 2012 at 11:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bulmabriefs144 View Post
    Don't get it either.

Even if it was simply a minus percent, instead a percented percent, the defense we're talking is ignore defense.
    *stuff*
    Defence in Maple is called PDR. I don't remember what it really stands for, but it's something like percentage damage reduction or percentage defence rate or physical defence reduction, etc.

The point is that it's not a value, it's a percentage. A rate. When people talk about ignoring defence, what really happens is that the item/skill ignores a percentage of the mobs defence, which itself is a system which reduces your damage by a certain percentage. To ignore a set % of the mob's defence is to ignore a % of a %.

Quote Originally Posted by bulmabriefs144 View Post
    HERPDERPI'MDUMB
    STOP POSTING IN THiS THREAD IT'S 3 WEEKS OLD

bolt202/veil225/feint200

We're in a heap o'trouble Tesiqurasa's Avatar

itt: Bulma wants %s factored additively

That doesn't even make sense

Spoiler!

Always the Bridesmaid... bulmabriefs144's Avatar

Sure it does. Ever played D&D? Only difference is here instead of 15 damage you're bypassing, it's more like 15% (to 75%). The higher % reduction, the more/better gear you need to bypass. The other way, because it's multiplied by the other % it's based on the percent not the total meaning that bonus raises the higher the reduction is supposed to be.

With just 15%, the damage you do on monsters with a certain amount of defence changes as follows:
    30% DEF - deal 74.5% of you normal damage (compared to 70%) 4.5% difference
    50% DEF - deal 57.5% of your normal damage (compared to 50%) 7.5% difference
    70% DEF - deal 40.5% of your normal damage (compared to 30%) 10.5% difference
    That's broken. It means, in theory anyway, that 15% is more help (not to say easy, though) against Pink Bean than it is against something like that owl clock. You guys said this yourselves, I'm just quoting.

Is that really how it works? Cuz that's dumb.
    Last edited by bulmabriefs144; 27th August 2012 at 11:20 PM.

We're in a heap o'trouble Tesiqurasa's Avatar

No, it makes perfect sense.
    Ignoring defense is going to be more effective against strongly-defended bosses than weak, common enemies. Why would you ignore a set amount per monster? That makes absolutely no sense.

Spoiler!

Thunder God

If you have shield in your hand that blocks 1000 damage and I ignore 20% of your defense, how much will your shield now block? Answer: 800..

If you can do that very simple math then you can do the real formula:

You have a shield that blocks 25% of any damage coming at you. I can ignore 20% of your defense. How much damage will your shield block against me? Answer: 20%

It's extremely simple. You don't like it? IT DOESN'T MATTER. That's how it works.