Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Equip: Ignore x% of the enemy's DEF when attacking. Any good for mage?

Icon1 Equip: Ignore x% of the enemy's DEF when attacking. Any good for mage?

I have a staff which will ignore 15% of enemy's DEF when attacing.

A buddy claims that is no good to mages, only for "physical" attacks (and I'm still confused about "total damage", but that's another trhead).

Unfortunately the char for who I intend it is too low level yet to try it and see; and it is not tradable after being equipped & I don't want to have to pay to SOK it.

Can anyone advise? Thanks in advance
    Last edited by mawg; 27th July 2012 at 12:24 PM.

I'm pretty sure monster defence just takes a chunk out of the damage you normally do.

So if the monster has 50% DEF (notice that DEF occurs in percentages now), you calculate you damage then halve it, and that's what you can expect to do on that monster.
    With ignore % defence, you take a percentage of that percentage. Let's say the weapon has ignore 15% defence, and you fight a monster with 50% defence. That means your damage will be reduced by 42.5% instead of 50%. If your up against a monster with 70% defence, you will then do 40.5% of your normal calculated damage.

With just 15%, the damage you do on monsters with a certain amount of defence changes as follows:
    30% DEF - deal 74.5% of you normal damage (compared to 70%)
    50% DEF - deal 57.5% of your normal damage (compared to 50%)
    70% DEF - deal 40.5% of your normal damage (compared to 30%)

With multiple ignore def sources (skills, monster book codex thing), you add the percentages together. So if a skill let you ignore 20% defence, and the codex let you ignore 15% defence, you'd ignore 50% defence in total. Threaten doesn't work the same way, but I won't go into it since you're not a Paladin.

Total damage takes your damage output after defence is considered and increases it by a certain percentage.
    So let's say you fight a mob with 70% DEF. With ignore 15% defence, you'll deal 40.5% of your normal damage. With 6% total damage, you'll deal 31.8% of your normal damage.

Someone needs to check this.

Thunder God

To answer your actual question - Mages benefit from it exactly the same way as all characters do.

Quote Originally Posted by DlPSHl7 View Post
    I'm pretty sure monster defence just takes a chunk out of the damage you normally do.

So if the monster has 50% DEF (notice that DEF occurs in percentages now), you calculate you damage then halve it, and that's what you can expect to do on that monster.
    With ignore % defence, you take a percentage of that percentage. Let's say the weapon has ignore 15% defence, and you fight a monster with 50% defence. That means your damage will be reduced by 42.5% instead of 50%. If your up against a monster with 70% defence, you will then do 40.5% of your normal calculated damage.

With just 15%, the damage you do on monsters with a certain amount of defence changes as follows:
    30% DEF - deal 74.5% of you normal damage (compared to 70%)
    50% DEF - deal 57.5% of your normal damage (compared to 50%)
    70% DEF - deal 40.5% of your normal damage (compared to 30%)

With multiple ignore def sources (skills, monster book codex thing), you add the percentages together. So if a skill let you ignore 20% defence, and the codex let you ignore 15% defence, you'd ignore 50% defence in total. Threaten doesn't work the same way, but I won't go into it since you're not a Paladin.

Total damage takes your damage output after defence is considered and increases it by a certain percentage.
    So let's say you fight a mob with 70% DEF. With ignore 15% defence, you'll deal 40.5% of your normal damage. With 6% total damage, you'll deal 31.8% of your normal damage.

Someone needs to check this.
    Great info, well explained. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Thorr View Post
    To answer your actual question - Mages benefit from it exactly the same way as all characters do.

Thanks for makinmg it so clear. Even I can understand that F2 (and to think that I threw away an ignore 30% staff because I listened to my buddy)

Always the Bridesmaid... bulmabriefs144's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thorr View Post
    Get it if only to try to stack with Arcane Aim.

Your buddy isn't your buddy anymore? Especially so if he was all like "sell it to me, I know someone who can use it."

Is this a tried and true analysis?

I thought it meant 50% - 15% (reducing damage reduction to 35%).

That is, if an attack would normally deal 4000 deals 2000, 15% of 50% would make it like 2100 while the other is 2600.
    Last edited by bulmabriefs144; 4th August 2012 at 12:53 PM.

Thunder God

Quote Originally Posted by bulmabriefs144 View Post
    Get it if only to try to stack with Arcane Aim.

Your buddy isn't your buddy anymore? Especially so if he was all like "sell it to me, I know someone who can use it."

Is this a tried and true analysis?

I thought it meant 50% - 15% (reducing damage reduction to 35%).

That is, if an attack would normally deal 4000 deals 2000, 15% of 50% would make it like 2100 while the other is 2600.
    You are dead wrong. The original analysis is spot on. Proven, repeatedly.

So wait, let me get this right, it's a % of a %? That seems extremely convoluted and semi-dumb why not just make it possible to do damage to a mob as if they have no defense %, I doubt it would make that much of a difference considering how hard people hit on average now.

Quote Originally Posted by LostZodiac View Post
    So wait, let me get this right, it's a % of a %? That seems extremely convoluted and semi-dumb why not just make it possible to do damage to a mob as if they have no defense %, I doubt it would make that much of a difference considering how hard people hit on average now.
    We already have enough "% Chance to do boost damage"
    Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Quote Originally Posted by kaglover1 View Post
    But now I'm like screw that, I'm skipping to the part where Bella finally combines with Edward

We're in a heap o'trouble Tesiqurasa's Avatar

It makes a huge difference on bosses.

Spoiler!