Thread: Implications

Default Implications

Continued from this thread: http://www.hidden-street.net/forum/t...811#post896811

The problem with implying things is that you can imply things without meaning to. Sure, you didn't "explicitly" say anything that might constitute a personal attack, but it hardly means you didn't imply it. By this logic every single book in the world has no meaning and there is nothing to be learned from books, and thus drawing concrete conclusions from a text is illogical and flawed, because 'the author didn't actually say that'.

As an English major, whose job as a student is to find meaning in pretty much every thing I read, it's incredibly easy for me to read a text, online or in print, and immediately get a sense of the tone and logic behind said text. This isn't restricted to books and/or long articles, it's pretty easy to see that every post Wyatt makes is a(n attempt at a) personal attack against me "not having a life," which is somewhat funny, because he posts in threads unrelated to him in order to side against me; amusing and somewhat cute in a "aww, you're just a little kid" kind of way, but not really contributing to said threads. His primary reason for me "not having a life" is my spending money on NX, which he apparently takes offense to (though I have no clue as to why, I might venture out here and suggest that he himself has rarely had access to it and is simply jealous). Additionally, if it was unclear, the thread bltching about not having enough NX in Empty House was a joke. Yes, I make jokes occasionally.

The even more "interesting" thing is the idea that others apparently can't read texts for their life. If anything is posted in a moderately criticizing way to more than one person on this forum people tend to go a little insane and stop reading and immediately write up an angry, testosterone driven post. The point of my post in that thread was that, in that particular subforum, people were complimenting poor/lazy work as a way of gathering "karma", so to speak, or brownie points with others. My intention in that post was to explicate that brownie points don't help anyone except your ego and it would be better off if you didn't compliment the work and instead didn't post jack-squat. That's not to say that people should stop posting in that subforum altogether, I'm un-subtly suggesting that people should criticize others' work in an honest manner that may hurt the OP, but also help them improve. By simply saying "that looks good" without actually meaning it, you give them a false sense of skill and self accomplishment. Additionally, complimenting good work is great, but again, saying "that looks good" doesn't help the OP improve or understand what they did well and what they did poorly. Even throwing in a " I like the colours on this one" or "you did x and y well" serves to greatly help anyone starting up anything.

tl;dr - "I DIDNT SAY IT SO YOU'RE DRAWING IMPLICATIONS WHERE THEY DON'T EXIST"
    Honesty > compliments

bolt202/veil225/feint200

Good thread 9/10 would read OP again
    Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Quote Originally Posted by kaglover1 View Post
    But now I'm like screw that, I'm skipping to the part where Bella finally combines with Edward

Banned

Some people need to just stop holding grudges. Although Email, I'm not going to lie, you are a bit difficult when trying to communicate with something you are passionate about, especially religion. I personally right now just choose to either remain out of those discussions or just agree to disagree.

samlee

I'm guilty of doing the same thing to you but you can definitely be kinda douchey.

You're also a college student yelling at a 16 year old about context and implications

If you are conversing about the post in made in my "art" thread, my response is this.

1. I was under the impression you were unable to make jokes. I don't know why, but I took you as a serious poster and member.

2. I responded incorrectly because of #1.

3. I don't even know what this thread is about.
    Spoiler!

i've lost my got damned mind

Considering this thread is actually directed toward me, the wrong thing to do would be not to post.

I'm sorry that you and or I drew incorrect implications, but my intention in "Sorry NX costs too much" was legitimately directed toward your "harsh attitude" being tied to the upsetting fact that NX.. costs too much.
    I can understand that you hate people sucking other peoples' e-****s in the art forum, that's understandable. But I responded the way I did, because your post was an immediate contrast to everything else, and again, I tied your mood to your thread, so I thought it was just something you posted "in the moment" Granted, I was being a bit of an a*s too, but I, at the time, felt it was necessary. Although, it appears it wasn't, but I can't really change what happened.
    I don't have a grudge against you, no. I just notice constantly you're a bit.. rude. Even if it's to the people you don't despise. You give me this mixture of "I have to impress people" mixed with "I'm better than everybody" with a hint of "Give me attention." Granted, typing this, it sounds just like me. And I don't feel this way about you all the time, just when you do things like the post in the art section. I don't aim to piss you off, because really, that's the last thing we need.
    I'm not jealous, because I don't even play that game. Granted, I don't have my own job, but I can still make money, although that is more recent (~2 months ago) And it's kind of a bit of the "Kag Thread" that's got me a bit annoyed recently. I could stop reading it, but it isn't tied to one thread, that stuff spans the whole board. So that may add to my attitude a bit.
    I shouldn't let a stupid thread get to me, but it's a part of the community I like to visit.
    Last edited by Wyatt; 22nd November 2012 at 01:02 PM.

The even more "interesting" thing is the idea that others apparently can't read texts for their life. If anything is posted in a moderately criticizing way to more than one person on this forum people tend to go a little insane and stop reading and immediately write up an angry, testosterone driven post.
    I didn't really want to post in this thread again, but your post is exactly the problem I was writing about. Clearly all you read was "WYATT" in one sentence and didn't actually bother to read the rest. If you actually read properly, I used you as an example to outline the problems with a number of others on this forum. The fact that your primary argument of attack is exclusively my NX spending habits is an EXAMPLE of people using a singular, unrelated, and often pointless example to directly attack others "without actually saying that".

I used you as an example because you've just got some grudge against me personally. Again, I used you as an example to represent a larger population.
    Last edited by emailbox; 22nd November 2012 at 09:44 PM.

bolt202/veil225/feint200

Quote Originally Posted by emailbox View Post
    I didn't really want to post in this thread again, but your post is exactly the problem I was writing about. Clearly all you read was "WYATT" in one sentence and didn't actually bother to read the rest. If you actually read properly, I used you as an example to outline the problems with a number of others on this forum. The fact that your primary argument of attack is exclusively my NX spending habits is an EXAMPLE of people using a singular, unrelated, and often pointless example to directly attack others "without actually saying that".

I used you as an example because you've just got some grudge against me personally. Again, I used you as an example to represent a larger population.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyatt View Post
    Considering this thread is actually directed toward me, the wrong thing to do would be not to post.

I'm sorry that you and or I drew incorrect implications, but my intention in "Sorry NX costs too much" was legitimately directed toward your "harsh attitude" being tied to the upsetting fact that NX.. costs too much.
    I can understand that you hate people sucking other peoples' e-****s in the art forum, that's understandable. But I responded the way I did, because your post was an immediate contrast to everything else, and again, I tied your mood to your thread, so I thought it was just something you posted "in the moment" Granted, I was being a bit of an a*s too, but I, at the time, felt it was necessary. Although, it appears it wasn't, but I can't really change what happened.
    I don't have a grudge against you, no. I just notice constantly you're a bit.. rude. Even if it's to the people you don't despise. You give me this mixture of "I have to impress people" mixed with "I'm better than everybody" with a hint of "Give me attention." Granted, typing this, it sounds just like me. And I don't feel this way about you all the time, just when you do things like the post in the art section. I don't aim to piss you off, because really, that's the last thing we need.
    I'm not jealous, because I don't even play that game. Granted, I don't have my own job, but I can still make money, although that is more recent (~2 months ago) And it's kind of a bit of the "Kag Thread" that's got me a bit annoyed recently. I could stop reading it, but it isn't tied to one thread, that stuff spans the whole board. So that may add to my attitude a bit.
    I shouldn't let a stupid thread get to me, but it's a part of the community I like to visit.
    Please make sure you read this.

Can't we just get along and eat turkey together in peace?
    Spoiler!

i've lost my got damned mind

Banned

****, I totally agree with BA.