Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What components of a desktop/laptop affects the lag that occurs in MapleStory?

Quote Originally Posted by Wyatt View Post
    Well, neither of those "should" cause you lag, so at this point, I am unsure. What kind of lag is it? Freezing for awhile? Skipping? Just long load times between portals?
    Freezing for a bit (5 to 7 seconds top). What do you mean by skipping? When I fought monsters, they don't die and their HP bar doesn't up. Other time it does, but like 3 to 5 seconds later. I lag when I fight monsters, so I can't tell if I have already been killed or hurt. I lag from teleporting too (teleport the wizard skill).

Quote Originally Posted by curiousmon View Post
    Freezing for a bit (5 to 7 seconds top). What do you mean by skipping? When I fought monsters, they don't die and their HP bar doesn't up. Other time it does, but like 3 to 5 seconds later. I lag when I fight monsters, so I can't tell if I have already been killed or hurt. I lag from teleporting too (teleport the wizard skill).
    That sounds like internet lag more than anything, do you use wireless internet?

That is definitely network related. Most likely a bad connection from you to your router, it sounds like. Try restarting your router.

Also try this:
    Spoiler!

Let me know if that helps at all.

Quote Originally Posted by White Mage Abyss View Post
    That sounds like internet lag more than anything, do you use wireless internet?
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyatt View Post
    That is definitely network related. Most likely a bad connection from you to your router, it sounds like. Try restarting your router.
    Wow, you guys are impressive. Yes, I use wireless internet. How does restarting the router help?

Wow, you guys are impressive. Yes, I use wireless internet.
    Wireless internet is unstable as a whole, but there are a couple of things you could do that might work.

Move closer to your wireless router, the closer you are the less the signal has to travel, obviously. If that's not an option try making sure you're not near the kitchen, or the kitchen isn't in between you and the router. Really bad wireless internet connections can be interrupted or even disconnected by a simple microwave, and if your lag is sporadic that might be what's causing it.

Get a new wireless card, Perhaps the one you have is weak and unstable, causing net lag, I used to have a laptop that would instantly disconnect if I had any other device connected to the internet.

Make sure you have no game systems that are connected to the internet on while you play, it takes up wireless signal as well.

Make sure you're not streaming anything, close all p2p connections you might have, (utorrent, limewire, ect) seems really obvious as well and I'm sure you've already tried that.

Lastly, and most importantly, make sure your wireless internet is password protected! Other people can leech your wifi and that really hurts your wireless internet.

Failing that there isn't much else you can do other than getting a new ISP or a wired connection.
    Last edited by White Mage Abyss; 14th December 2012 at 10:16 PM.

Chill next to your router with an ethernet cable.
    Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Quote Originally Posted by kaglover1 View Post
    But now I'm like screw that, I'm skipping to the part where Bella finally combines with Edward

Quote Originally Posted by White Mage Abyss View Post
    Wireless internet is unstable as a whole, but there are a couple of things you could do that might work.

Move closer to your wireless router, the closer you are the less the signal has to travel, obviously. If that's not an option try making sure you're not near the kitchen, or the kitchen isn't in between you and the router. Really bad wireless internet connections can be interrupted or even disconnected by a simple microwave, and if your lag is sporadic that might be what's causing it.

Get a new wireless card, Perhaps the one you have is weak and unstable, causing net lag, I used to have a laptop that would instantly disconnect if I had any other device connected to the internet.

Make sure you have no game systems that are connected to the internet on while you play, it takes up wireless signal as well.

Make sure you're not streaming anything, close all p2p connections you might have, (utorrent, limewire, ect) seems really obvious as well and I'm sure you've already tried that.

Lastly, and most importantly, make sure your wireless internet is password protected! Other people can leech your wifi and that really hurts your wireless internet.

Failing that there isn't much else you can do other than getting a new ISP or a wired connection.
    What wireless card would you recommend? When you say game systems, you mean like a joystick? Thank you so much for your advices Abyss =D

What wireless card would you recommend? When you say game systems, you mean like a joystick? Thank you so much for your advices Abyss =D
    I mean video game consoles that use the internet, like a Play Station 3 or an Xbox 360, Make sure you sign out of those or don't leave them on downloading a game while you play.