Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What components of a desktop/laptop affects the lag that occurs in MapleStory?

Default What components of a desktop/laptop affects the lag that occurs in MapleStory?

I was just wondering, but besides channel crowding, can certain components of a desktop/laptop also affect lag in the game? When I say components, I mean like the video card or the processor or the RAM?

Because of poor coding and optimization yes your hardware can affect the game. Your video card probably not but having a poor quality processor or low RAM can definitely be a negative effect.
    Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Quote Originally Posted by kaglover1 View Post
    But now I'm like screw that, I'm skipping to the part where Bella finally combines with Edward

Quote Originally Posted by omarXRanger View Post
    Because of poor coding and optimization yes your hardware can affect the game. Your video card probably not but having a poor quality processor or low RAM can definitely be a negative effect.
    Could you elaborate on the poor coding and optimization part? Also, as long as the processor is good and the RAM high, I would experience less lag? What processors are good I guess for MapleStory and for the budget-friendly?

The only game I really play is MapleStory, but mostly my desktop/laptop is used for research, school, and work. I just hate how much I lag in the game and I am hoping to buy a laptop in the future that can run MapleStory without the disgusting lag.

You definitely don't need anything fancy to run MapleStory. It would be better if you were to specifically tell us what your current hardware is though.

About the coding, it's just the game uses more processing power and memory than it needs to because of the way it's coded.
    Spoiler!

Spoiler!

But now I'm like screw that, I'm skipping to the part where Bella finally combines with Edward

Quote Originally Posted by omarXRanger View Post
    You definitely don't need anything fancy to run MapleStory. It would be better if you were to specifically tell us what your current hardware is though.

About the coding, it's just the game uses more processing power and memory than it needs to because of the way it's coded.

I am not sure what you mean by telling you about my current hardware, but I guess you mean this:

I have a Windows 7 64 bit computer. Um, I have a Intel Duo Core processor and I have 4GB of RAM. Does this help? Video Card is Intel Graphics something.

Your computer is more than enough to run the game. You're probably experiencing lag for another reason. I don't know what though.
    Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Your ram is plenty, and the processor is "o.k." But I think you're causing the lag yourself. MapleStory doesn't require a lot, but aside from poor coding, a laptop like that can't do much multi-tasking, so if you have Skype / Steam, rendering a movie, etc, then it could cause you lag. If you do a lot of stuff at once, this is causing it, if not, then I'm not sure.

When you're in MapleStory, Ctrl + Alt + Del out, and open Task Manager. See how much % of your CPU is being used, and how much free RAM you have when playing. Let me know (preferably screenshots) and we'll go from there.
    Just snag a screenshot of the Performance tab in Task Manager.

A dual core and 4GB RAM is more than enough to run MapleStory. My laptop has the same CPU and RAM and it can run games far more demanding than maple.
    Butts.

213 181 178 166 165 164 162 152 147 135 134 130 125 123 123 120 120 104 100 100

Quote Originally Posted by Wyatt View Post
    Your ram is plenty, and the processor is "o.k." But I think you're causing the lag yourself. MapleStory doesn't require a lot, but aside from poor coding, a laptop like that can't do much multi-tasking, so if you have Skype / Steam, rendering a movie, etc, then it could cause you lag. If you do a lot of stuff at once, this is causing it, if not, then I'm not sure.

When you're in MapleStory, Ctrl + Alt + Del out, and open Task Manager. See how much % of your CPU is being used, and how much free RAM you have when playing. Let me know (preferably screenshots) and we'll go from there.
    Just snag a screenshot of the Performance tab in Task Manager.
    Untitled.jpg

Um, the CPU fluctuates a lot between the numbers 32% and 78%.

Well, neither of those "should" cause you lag, so at this point, I am unsure. What kind of lag is it? Freezing for awhile? Skipping? Just long load times between portals?