Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Can we please make something clear?

Tesi is right about the mental healthcare issue. This isn't about weapons anymore.
    Butts.

213 181 178 166 165 164 162 152 147 135 134 130 125 123 123 120 120 104 100 100

Although I agree that access to top tier mental help should be the number one priority after this massacre, you cannot deny the fact that the lack of gun control is also an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by emailbox View Post
    By the way, here are some actual, objective statistics that don't draw any conclusions but give a sense of how "effective" gun control is:
    http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/07...world-graphic/

Some of it is skewed because they do gun ownership by % but deaths as a statistic, without taking the population of each country into account (as well as statuses of gang warfare, government corruption, etc).
    First off, we have to compare like to like. The countries the writer ranks in the top are not exactly what you would call modernized societies where the government actually has a say of what goes on. These aren't exactly countries with the strictest of gun control laws.

Lets compare the USA to european countries, shall we?

oh look, the USA beats every European country, Canada, Australia, Japan. Even some countries whom are not really developed at all have less of homicide per 100000 people stat.

X- % firearm ownership
    Y- Homicides per 100000
    I took the liberty of graphing these stats of European countries along with Canada, NZ, and AUS.

circled are the obvious outliers: Kazakhstan, Albania, Macedonia, and, of course, the USA in that order. I think we can agree that Kazakhstan and Albania aren't the most developed of countries. I don't know about Macedonia

But really, US? Why?

In many states, it is easier to get a gun permit than it is to get your drivers license. That right there tells us something. Many states trust people more with a machine that fires metal pellets at high velocity, whose main intent is to kill than with a motor vehicle so that they can get around to places.

What the ****?

There is obviously stuff we can do in gun control in addition to better mental healthcare.

Here are some things that I would like to see.

1. Some type of license system like a drivers license. You are allowed to own ____ type of weapon up to ____ caliber. Type of thing. If you want bigger guns, you need to get licensed. The higher up you go, the more hoops you need to jump through and the less likely chance you are to obtain these weapons. Want a .50 cal sniper? Go get that license. Show the government that you need it even though nobody needs a ****ing AR-15.

2. Full criminal background checks to get the license, mental health check, and personality check. Much like the government would do if you were applying for a job with some level x security clearance, people would come to your house, check on things in your house. The to-be-owner would be required to have a certified gun safe beforehand. Higher licenses require more screening and that person that comes to your house will also talk to your neighbors, friends, and relatives.

3. Mandatory registration of all guns. The private selling of firearms is prohibited. The buyer and seller must do it at some location where a registered firearms salesman can de-register and re-register the firearm. Obviously, the buyer must be a licensed owner.

4. (maybe too much big brother): Randomized checking. A federal agent may come to your house and ask you to show all guns. If this cannot be done, it is a federal crime.

5. Limit on ammunition sales. You can buy ____ amount of ammunition in _____ days. You cannot own more than _____ amount of ammunition at any given time.

Guns are not things we should take lightly. I do respect people's rights to own and use guns, however, if massacres are going to become a regular thing, especially if we want to call ourselves a world leader, something must be done to curb the number of guns in the public sector. Obviously, these would all be federal laws.

I understand that homicides via firearm will never be zero. This will always be true. However, there are obvious steps that can be taken to minimize this number.
    Quote Originally Posted by BarelyAwake View Post
    This thread quickly turned into who all wants to sex up Merciless.

Agreed on ammo limitations and new gun licensing.
    [21-11, 13:19] Tesiqurasa: so do their guns
    [21-11, 13:19] Bishopz: Al qaeda has a magazine.

I liked Merciless' points.

Although it's really late to make changes about gun control now, it would still help.

US should have just not allowed guns to be so easily obtainable in the first place.
    Like Japan has stabbings by crazy people, and if these people had access to guns I can't imagine how many people would have died.

The point I'm trying to make was much clearer when this was in my head.
    viva la nagato yuki

you know, I take it back.

I would like to see federal agents do a regular check on gun owners.

A good portion of all mass shootings were with guns that were obtained legally. This past CT shooting was with guns obtained legally, and could have been prevented if the guns were properly stored in a gun safe.

If this country is going to allow the general public to own and use firearms, any and all steps should be taken to keep the firearms from falling into the wrong hands.

Also:

6. If a gun is stolen, it must be reported within 24 hours.

7. It is illegal to have in your possession a firearm that is not registered to you.

8. Along with new licensing, more age restrictions should be put on weapons. 21 for hunting rifles up to ____ caliber. 25 for Handguns up to _____ caliber. Concealed carry at 25.

9. If a youth wishes to handle a firearm, he/she must have a youth permit which is available if and only if the legal guardian has a special gun permit which gives him full responsibility over the youth. This youth permit would be available to those at ages 15+.

The hardest part of having gun licenses similar to driving licenses is that a car is this big, and a firearm is that big.
    Butts.

213 181 178 166 165 164 162 152 147 135 134 130 125 123 123 120 120 104 100 100

In the case of these murders. The suspect took all the guns from his mother's home. His mom had a military grade assault rifle for gods sake.
    [21-11, 13:19] Tesiqurasa: so do their guns
    [21-11, 13:19] Bishopz: Al qaeda has a magazine.

Quote Originally Posted by Bishopz View Post
    In the case of these murders. The suspect took all the guns from his mother's home. His mom had a military grade assault rifle for gods sake.

not even locked up correctly

Only taking calibre and muzzle velocity into account is myopic when considering lethality

Also I don't think the shooter used anything but handguns in the case bishopz was referring to, supreme court found handgun bans unconstitutional and and the ar15 is an "assault weapon" not an assault rifle, if I'm remembering correctly

Quote Originally Posted by Luis View Post
    Only taking calibre and muzzle velocity into account is myopic when considering lethality

Also I don't think the shooter used anything but handguns in the case bishopz was referring to, supreme court found handgun bans unconstitutional and and the ar15 is an "assault weapon" not an assault rifle, if I'm remembering correctly

all guns are "lethal" per se, but caliber and muzzle velocity take a big part of it.

Shoot someone with a .22 in the leg and they have a hole in their leg

Shoot someone with a 5.56 and their leg is going to be torn up

Shoot someone with a 7.62 and their leg is gone

Shoot 5 inches away from someone with a 50 cal and their entire body is gone.