Thread: Cable companies

Default Cable companies

Been a long time ever since my last empty house thread. I would post it on my journal but I am pissed off at the moment and I really want to lose some steam.

So my family has Cablevision for 4 years and being that everyone in my family is stingy with the bill they want to jump from Cablevision to Verizon FIOS. They dislike the bill they are charged after the promotion wears off after a year or so. Then there are complaints about certain systems as to why this, that and other stupid crap.

1. Nickel and dime or price gouging

What I did not expect is that my current cable provider Verizon is charging 14.99 monthly for additional channels that I can watch for free from my previous cable provider. You want more channels? Pay up more. DVR? Pony up. Want more internet speed? More. To add insult to injury, cable companies now requires cable boxes to watch television and the worst part is that it isn't free. Oh sure they'll cover the expenses for a year then the standard rates apply. If you don't require a cable box to watch your television shows, you're lucky until the cable company drops the hammer.
    In before "Capitalism" card in play.

2. Depending where you live, you are stuck with that company.

Thankfully I have Verizon and Cablevision from this area but I'm more lenient towards to Cablevision since they are actually give a sh*t rather than Verizon which their top priority is to satisfy the CEO's deep pockets. But having only one cable company on your district area sucks.

3. The triple bundle

I hate these promotions that any Cable Companies spew frequently on the airwaves and try to out better the other. You know what's even better? Either keeping the price the same like insurance companies give discounts for multiple insurances under their name or just give the standard rates of 60.00 USD per service. (3 services of Cable, Internet and Phone = 200.00 USD including taxes and fees) Unless if cable companies are losing money from these promotions, what else could they lose?

4. The damned Television.

To the uninformed or those who never watched television with analog controls: TVs used to be simple back then. You hook up the antenna, then you scroll channels. Free television. Then Digital Television showed up and made television for better or worse. So far my parents are okay with digital television since they have access to Chinese channels locally. I hated it. When it rains, snows or any other day that is not sunny, digital television cannot show the channels because the clouds are scrambling the signals. From this result, I was watching shows on the internet more frequently than I used to and watching less television. Cable companies used to have that analog features until they pull the plug citing digital television and people stealing cable. My family has 6 televisions operating under cable. Now its reduced to 3 because it requires the damn box to watch it. As I said before about price gouging, the boxes itself costs 6.99 USD per month. Not free, every damn month. Unless if your television has a built in QAM tuner (or any other television made post 2009) say goodbye to somewhat free television channels.

As much as I hate cable companies and their quest for capitalism, there is no choice but the lesser of two evils of certain cable companies. Unless if you want to get to the lowest alternative IE: Get 1 service per different company like Vonage or MagicJack for phone, Verizon with internet and satellite for TV. At least the radio is keeping me sane if I do quit everything altogether.

tl;dr Why Cable Companies get away with this sh*t is beyond me.
    I'm Retired.

Don't think you're open to suggestions, but we've got DiSH network, and it's very good, for the most part.

Right now, we pay $74,99 a month. We've got DVR, and can record up to as many things as there are TVs available. HD cost us an extra $10, but that total to $75, so it was $55 before. ($10 for Hd and $10 for DVR)
    All 4 TVs in the house can watch separate TV, it's not mirrored. We've got 200 channels, and more often than not, monthly previews of movie channels for free, or many good channel previews from higher packages. We even had all of their available movie channels free for our first year. Signal wise, it doesn't go out unless we're under severe weather. It hasn't gone out in the Winter yet, and we've had them for 4(?) years or so. The prices never went up without us knowing, and the only time it did was when our movie channels for a year ended, but we cancelled it and got a normal bill.

From a real person, and not a commercial. I have to recommend DiSH network for just TV.

My chemistry teacher told me that if you hook a satellite onto your roof or something that somehow connects to your TV (sorry, I don't have the details), then you get some free channels.

I can go ask him about it again if you want me to.
    by Cryopon

Quote Originally Posted by rasudoken View Post
    My chemistry teacher told me that if you hook a satellite onto your roof or something that somehow connects to your TV (sorry, I don't have the details), then you get some free channels.
    I can go ask him about it again if you want me to.
    Unless it happens to be a open antenna outside which I have hooked for my parents, it's already done. I've done hooking up a direct coaxal connection from satellite to television. It didn't work.
    I'm Retired.

Quote Originally Posted by Tharticus View Post
    Unless it happens to be a open antenna outside which I have hooked for my parents, it's already done. I've done hooking up a direct coaxal connection from satellite to television. It didn't work.
    Oh, okay then nevermind.
    by Cryopon

I subscribed to Select TV. Watching my favorite movies and shows has become easy and convenient. Thanks to Select TV, I've become fascinated with nature documentaries. It's amazing. Q How does Select TV manage to put together such a variety of content? How do they provide a quality and comfortable viewing experience for every user?

Hi. In my opinion, Select TV has a strong focus on content diversity, working with a variety of providers and curators to cater to different interests. Their commitment to providing a quality viewing experience includes high resolution video, user-friendly interface, and support for different devices. This allows each user to enjoy Select TV content to their liking.