Thread: What wireless routers do you guys personally use?

Icon8 What wireless routers do you guys personally use?

What wireless routers do you guys personally use? Um, exactly how do wireless router work? Do you need an Internet provider like Verizon to get it to work or something?

Oh, also could I have two separate wireless routers in my house? I have exactly five people using the same wireless router and I'm thinking maybe that it is the reason why I am also lagging in-game, because too many people are sharing signals from the same router. Would having two routers cause any trouble or anything?
    Last edited by curiousmon; 29th December 2012 at 07:55 PM.

Wireless routers as you would probably know them work by creating a local network via forwarding data packets set from the service provider wirelessly (as the name would suggest) by making itself the wireless access point in the local network. It also works as a network switch, so when multiple users are connected to the same router, they would receive only the data that they asked for.

The reason why you may or may not be granted access to your home's wireless network may very well be too many devices connected to your router (any wireless device counts, including phones, consoles, handhelds like the DS, etc.), otherwise it would just be that they're using a portion of the bandwidth in total that's large enough for you to not get optimal performance. For example, streaming videos and music and even playing some games require what's already considered a "high-speed" connection for optimal performance; having too many users doing the same thing on the same network congests the network and leaves less space for you to use it; think of it as a road or even a highway, when there's less people on the road you're more easily able to just floor the gas and go as fast as your car allows, but when there are a lot of people on the road you're more persuaded to just go at the speed limit or even might have to go under it because everyone else is so slow, right? Same idea here :P

Also you may not be connected to the router just because there are too many devices connected to the router. In this case it's nice to understand that when dealing with your IP addess, it's generally separated in to two kinds: the IP that identifies your connection to your ISP or just the internet in general (as it's really your router going onto the internet for you and not your computer itself if you can think of it that way), which is generally what people think of when they think of IP addresses, and there is the local IP address assigned to your device by the router; this is generally denoted by 192.168.x.x when you look at your IP via your computer, and there are only a certain amount that your router will assign, thus when there are too many devices connected to the router, there comes a point where it goes beyond the number the router is programmed to assign to devices, making it so that you won't be granted access to the network until another device disconnects.
    「僕たちの前にはいまだ巨大すぎる人生が、茫漠とした時間がどうしようもなく横たわっていた。 」
    "We live in a very special time: the only time where we can observationally verify that we live at a very special time." -Lawrence Krauss

Quote Originally Posted by FanOfKOTOKO View Post
    Wireless routers as you would probably know them work by creating a local network via forwarding data packets set from the service provider wirelessly (as the name would suggest) by making itself the wireless access point in the local network. It also works as a network switch, so when multiple users are connected to the same router, they would receive only the data that they asked for.

The reason why you may or may not be granted access to your home's wireless network may very well be too many devices connected to your router (any wireless device counts, including phones, consoles, handhelds like the DS, etc.), otherwise it would just be that they're using a portion of the bandwidth in total that's large enough for you to not get optimal performance. For example, streaming videos and music and even playing some games require what's already considered a "high-speed" connection for optimal performance; having too many users doing the same thing on the same network congests the network and leaves less space for you to use it; think of it as a road or even a highway, when there's less people on the road you're more easily able to just floor the gas and go as fast as your car allows, but when there are a lot of people on the road you're more persuaded to just go at the speed limit or even might have to go under it because everyone else is so slow, right? Same idea here :P

Also you may not be connected to the router just because there are too many devices connected to the router. In this case it's nice to understand that when dealing with your IP addess, it's generally separated in to two kinds: the IP that identifies your connection to your ISP or just the internet in general (as it's really your router going onto the internet for you and not your computer itself if you can think of it that way), which is generally what people think of when they think of IP addresses, and there is the local IP address assigned to your device by the router; this is generally denoted by 192.168.x.x when you look at your IP via your computer, and there are only a certain amount that your router will assign, thus when there are too many devices connected to the router, there comes a point where it goes beyond the number the router is programmed to assign to devices, making it so that you won't be granted access to the network until another device disconnects.
    Your occupation must be a teacher a or somewhere in public relations. ~ applause ~ That was a very thorough and concise explanation. I totally understand now. I actually do have a lot of wireless things like mouses and printers too. I didn't equate them into the equation. However, would it be okay though to have two separate wireless routers? Or could the two separate wireless routers "hurt" one another as well as us users? I was hoping that if I could get a wireless router in my room, I would have better connection and everything. Like you said and (I said), there are five people using the wireless router for their computers (three desktops and two laptops). We have three wireless mouse users, two wireless printers, and two iTouches that access this very same router. Would buying another wireless router help in anyway?

I used the ASUS routers, and it works very well.

And here is a list offers a few decent wireless routers with the specs comparison. Check out
    http://www.wirelessrouterhome.com/be...router-review/