Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Our personal appeal—help us survive

Icon7 Our personal appeal—help us survive

This topic is a contentious one: ads.

Unfortunately, it's also the only way we can continue to pay our ever-escalating server fees and other costs in maintaining and running the site.

Back when Hidden Street was first started in 2004, we paid for our hosting out of our own pockets. Eventually, we had to resort to asking for donations when traffic spiked and we had to migrate to a more powerful server that can withstand the onslaught of visitors. After a few months, we realised that donations are an unsustainable form of funding to help us continue to run. Announcing pleas every few months is not how we see the survivability of our site—our future was uncertain, and less certain was whether donations would ever continue to be forthcoming.

We resorted to using ads then, as a way to continue to pay our servers. As traffic continued to increase, we migrated to even more powerful servers that cost even more than before. But while traffic is at similar levels like before, our ad revenue has steadily declined. This alarms us—if this trend continues, we may no longer be able to sustain the site anymore.

Our investigation shows that Adblock, and other similar ad-blocking plugins, is a large contributing factor in the decline in ad revenue.

And what we appeal for is this: if you've ever used Hidden Street—or still use us to look up for info on MapleStory—and want to see us to continue running, do consider adding Hidden Street's domain to your Adblock's whitelist. We're not asking you to click on the ads, because that would constitute as click fraud and would be detrimental to the site, but merely having the ads loading count as impressions that pay us a tiny amount, that would all eventually add up.

How to add us to your whitelist?

If you're using Firefox, click on the ABP icon at the bottom of the browser, and click on 'Disable on hidden-street.net', or click here for a quick and easy tutorial.

If you're using Chrome, click on the red ABP icon at the end of the URL bar, and uncheck "Enabled for this site".
    You have our eternal gratitude and thanks. And we can resume our work on Hidden Street to make it even better and complete than before.

Probably the only site I'll actually consider doing this for (already done).

Let's hope the lurkers and random guests see this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Andwoos View Post
    Probably the only site I'll actually consider doing this for (already done).

Let's hope the lurkers and random guests see this thread.
    Thanks for your support Andwoos! We really, really appreciate it.

aww :( brb doing that right now =)

Spoiler!

Quote Originally Posted by WubYou4ever View Post
    aww :( brb doing that right now =)
    Thanks a lot! :)

Ad Block disengaged.

Banned

Eh why not. I'll do it.

I never realized how many no-name mmo's with bad art existed until today.
    Butts.

213 181 178 166 165 164 162 152 147 135 134 130 125 123 123 120 120 104 100 100

Banned

I remember the days of Evony.

Quote Originally Posted by Sayo View Post
    I remember the days of Evony.
    Ah yes, the breastest MMO ever made.