Thread: "Detecting Drives. . . " screen for a very long time?

Default "Detecting Drives. . . " screen for a very long time?

Hey guys!

So I got my new PC case, and moved everything over, and did a fairly good cable management job. However... When starting my PC, it will show the BIOS screen (the Press Del screen) and then go to "Detecting drives . . ."
    It will stay at this screen for approx 3-5 minutes. Then boot, and run completely normal. However, if I press the DEL key to get in to BIOS, it will go to "Detecting drives . . ." and then after the wait, go in to BIOS.
    In boot priority, it is first, followed by Cd-ROM, then removable drive. (Should I disable this?)

It's running in SATA Port 3, so I was thinking maybe that's the issue? Or does the BIOS near-instantly detect them if there are no issues? It's a Western Digital 500gb 7200 RPM 16mb cache drive, if that helps.
    I didn't change any hardware between switching, only the case. Also. My CD-ROM drive is detected in BIOS, but will not show up in "Computer" under my hDD. Nor will it open when I press it.
    Is it a possibility that it's getting shorted out and that's why it hangs, and will show up in BIOS but not boot? I'm pretty much out of ideas now. :C

Can boot device times be affected by which SATA port it's in? I'd need a longer cable to reach Port 1, but I don't know if that would help or not. ( I could get a cable tomorrow.)

Here's my PC:

Windows 7 Professional 64-bit .
    Kingston HyperX 8gb DDR3 1600mhz
    Sapphire 6870 1gb.
    Phenom II x4 975BE.
    Zalman Z9 Mid Case.
    Corsair GS600 PSU.
    ASUS m4a87td motherboard.
    The CD drive is an LG, but specifics I can't say.
    Last edited by Wyatt; 8th January 2013 at 10:09 AM.