Thread: What's that mysterious whirring noise? :o

Default What's that mysterious whirring noise? :o

Yesterday I noticed that, after I picked up my laptop and carried it somewhere else after about 15+ hours of use, it started making a really loud whirring noise. Worried that my hard drive might be dying, I decided to shut off my computer and leave it there for the morning.

Once I woke up this morning, I turned on my computer and it's been working fine until a few minutes ago. It started making noises again once I picked it up and moved it somewhere, so I restarted it. When it turned off, the noises stopped, but as soon as it turned back on, it started making those noises again.

I opened up the laptop (Acer 5755G) and it seemed like the noise was coming from where my RAM is located, or whatever may be around it (under the left side of the keyboard). Nothing seemed unusual inside, though, so I put it back together and turned it on again and here it is now, working fine again, after like 3 minutes.

Does anyone know what's going on, or have any suggestions on what I could do to further diagnose the issue?

Bit of background info:
    - About 2 years old
    - I f'ucking dropped it a few weeks ago from about waist height, seems to be fine though?
    - Having some heating issues recently - processor can get to 100 degrees Celsius sometimes
    - Been using it for upwards of 12 hours for the past couple weeks every day, still leaving it off for about 10 hours though

tl;dr - computer making weird noises, wat do?

That whirring noise is probably your fan spinning faster, because you said your CPU was getting to 100 C, which is really bad for your CPU. See if you can clear any dust out of your laptop.
    Butts.

213 181 178 166 165 164 162 152 147 135 134 130 125 123 123 120 120 104 100 100

Just checked with another friend and he said the fan may be loose, which shouldn't be a big deal. And I've been trying to clean out my computer for months to no avail. :<

Edit: just recreated the situation and it stopped after I slapped it a bit. :|
    Last edited by blankaex; 8th July 2013 at 07:50 AM.

If slapping your hardware (temporarily) fixes the problem then you should look into a long-term solution. Especially if you're reaching 100C.
    Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Quote Originally Posted by kaglover1 View Post
    But now I'm like screw that, I'm skipping to the part where Bella finally combines with Edward