Thread: Aura Kingdom: Fully Rendered Panties -A Review-

We're in a heap o'trouble Tesiqurasa's Avatar

Default Aura Kingdom: Fully Rendered Panties -A Review-

"It's up to you and your fellow heroes to brave an enchanting and unfamiliar world -to explore its wonders, and to protect it from the forces that would see it destroyed." -Aeria Games

If the publisher of a game cannot be bothered to show an ounce of creativity in its promotional description, then I will also skip the formalities of a creative introduction.

Aeria Games, the publisher of anime MMORPGs such as Eden Eternal, Elsword, Grand Fantasia, Ragnarok Online 2, Digimon Masters, and Spiral Knights, brings you their newest venture: Aura Kingdom (still in beta release). Aura Kingdom follows the free-to-play model, allowing any user to play through essentially the whole game, free of charge. Players are given the option of purchasing various aesthetic items, as well as small boosts.

However, as with all games, you get what you pay for.

The game opens to a mostly voiceless 3D environment, with a scattering of short cutscenes. Though excusable for older MMOs, the walls of silent text frequently break immersion, as you find yourself less and less concerned with the lengthy backstories given for simple fetch quests.

After a dismally limited character creation screen, the game prompted me to choose one of five followers called "eidolons". I picked the only one with healing capabilities, and as I did so, I felt my neckbeard sprout.
    Spoiler!

Unfortunately, the sins of Aura Kingdom do not end there. Upon beginning my adventure, I was treated to over a dozen windows of dialogue, all similar to this gem. Following that, I was given a generic MMO starting quest to fight an invading force (Seen in everything from Rift to Maplestory). Normally, I would think this standard fare of the MMORPG world, but this game had a surprising element (and arguably, Aura Kingdom's greateast sin) in store for me.

You are given the option to auto-walk to your nearest quest objective.

This is not an element present only in the tutorial. This is not exclusively for turning in completed quests. This is a fully functioning auto-pilot. Simply by clicking the objective on the side of your screen, you are taken to the nearest item to fetch, the nearest monster to kill, or the nearest NPC to talk to. When you obtain your first mount (about 10 minutes into the game), the system automatically mounts you (without any wait time) and shuttles you to your next objective.

"Oi, Tesi!", you might say, "that's entirely optional!"
    Yes, and that is a somewhat valid point, but this should not be an option to begin with. This is an open-world MMORPG, and two inherent traits of the genre are exploration and competition. If you choose auto-pilot, you can competitively level up and reach meta-game much more quickly, but you lose any true sense of exploration. If you choose to explore, you lose out on the competitive aspect, an aspect made even more important by the impending pay-to-win model (see every other Aeria Games MMO). Playing the game competitively and for free will likely only be possible for a short time.

While we're on the subject of meta-game, I should mention that content currently stops at 67, though the max level is 75 (forgivable for a beta, but Aura Kingdom has been open to the public since the new year).

I had planned a lengthy critique of the game's combat system, but as Evelyn frequently says, "a picture is worth a thousand words". Here is a 4,000 word description of the atrocity that is Aura Kingdom's combat.
    Spoiler!

My personal favorite was provided by Omar Ranger, pole-dancing extraordinaire, straight out of "The Matrix: Reloaded"

What more could I say about Aura Kingdom? The game outrageously panders to weeaboos infatuated with infantile gameplay and girls, and deserves a very generous 3/10.
    This is not a subjective rating. This failing grade is backed up by irrefutable proof:

Spoiler!

Yes, those are your pet's fully rendered heart panties.

And that, ladies and gentlemen and doken, is Aura Kingdom.
    Last edited by Tesiqurasa; 29th May 2014 at 01:48 PM.

Spoiler!

I uninstalled it after I took the panties screenshot.
    Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Quote Originally Posted by kaglover1 View Post
    But now I'm like screw that, I'm skipping to the part where Bella finally combines with Edward

Beginner

Thank you for such a wonderful review, I was already nostalgic.