Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anime-Planet

Default Anime-Planet

Hello everybody. If you've come to this thread about to say "WE HAVE AN ANIME THREAD ALREADY, LEARN TO USE SEARCH! FLAMEFLAMEFLAMEFLAME", wait a bit. I'm talking about Anime-Planet, the website.

If anybody has an AP, please add me.

For those that don't, I'll explain the site and tell you why you should have one. And then you can add me.

Anime-Planet is a site where you can keep your own personal list of anime. The site has records of almost every anime in existence, which you can add to your own custom list. Then you can assign a "status" to that anime, those statuses being "Watched, Watching, Want to Watch, Stalled, Dropped and Won't Watch". This list is useful for times when you may want to go back and look things you've watched so you can rip off someone's name for your new Maple Character.

Like I said before, it has records of almost every anime. Each one has its own page, which includes things like the year it was released, a synopsis, a list of its characters, reviews about it, staff involved in creation, related anime (same franchise), and recommended anime by the community. Knowing this, you can do plenty of things.You can make your own list of Loved Characters and Hated Characters, write reviews about things for others to read, find things like OVAs and Special Episodes that you never knew existed, read about it to see whether you think it's good or not, and shows that others recommend to you.

There is also a rating system. When you've watched an anime, you can give it a rating out of five. Out of all the users on the site, this then gets averaged and each anime has a rank. If you sort the list by rank, you can find anime that many people enjoy. Previously, it was Vanishment of Haruhi Suzumiya, until Gintama 2 came along and all the new***s decided to give it 5 stars, and made it overtake Haruhi. >:|

Anime-Planet also has a manga section, which includes other things like Light Novels as well. You can make your own manga list in addition to an anime list, loved/hated character list, loved/hated studio list, and love/hated character list. There is also a custom list function, with which you can make your very own personal lists, and use them as whatever you want, whether it be "Top Ten Anime" or "Worst Anime OPs/EDs".

The Anime-Planet forum is a great community, similar to this one. Most of the sections in it are for discussing anime, but they also have sections for things Japanese-related, graphic-related, and a Tomato Island-like section as well.

If you have an anime list, you can rub it into others' faces telling them how much time you've wasted spent on anime, which brings me to another feature of the site. There is a "My life on anime" bar on everyone's profile, which adds up the time of all the episodes you've marked as watched, and gives you a time. I was surprised at first at how much time I've spent.

Anyways, that's about it in a nutshell. Begin Anime-Planeting!

If you're too lazy to make your anime list, look at someone else's and mark down ones you've watched instead of searching for each one individually. Also, you could sort the complete list by rank and mark down those as well. From then on, just casually add things you happen to remember. You don't need to do it all in one go.

This is a much better site for the same purpose, and its the one that most everyone here uses: http://myanimelist.net
    Spoiler!

I know of MAL, and I've had a look at it before, but I prefer AP a lot better. It looks more friendly, the UI is easy to use and colourful, there's even a Haruhi theme. Plus, there's a forum devoted to MAL users to get them used to AP.

Use what you like.
    Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Quote Originally Posted by kaglover1 View Post
    But now I'm like screw that, I'm skipping to the part where Bella finally combines with Edward

yeah, by all means use what you like, but like i said, most people on this forum use MAL. I personaly used AP first, and just finished moving my list too MAL not too long ago.
    Spoiler!

I'm not sure what you mean by theme (Website theme or your Anime List theme?). But on MAL, you can change the font color and background of your Anime List.

They both seem to be pretty identical. So in the end it comes down to preference (what everyone said).
    by Cryopon

Don't be a ***, use MAL, everyone's been using it for years, even I have one, totally.

BTW has anyone found an alternative for backloggery? Since we're talking about list-keeping websites -cough-.
    Gone with the wind

I used to use AP. I switched to MAL to see what the hubub was about and just continued using MAL, the community is larger, the database is more complete and there is a ton more info.

You're just hipstering yourself if you use something that's unpopular for good reasons.
    Butts.

213 181 178 166 165 164 162 152 147 135 134 130 125 123 123 120 120 104 100 100

Phantom Watch

A-P is smaller, so lag and server issues are rarely a problem. MAL had some terrible lag problems last year, so I made the switch. MAL looks a lot more appealing than A-P and has more information, but I like the brevity of each entry in somebody's A-P anime list. Overall, A-P is more streamlined and allows for less modification of profiles, anime lists, etc. (which I think is a good thing. Now if only it could look better)

Also, sothis is a lot more active than Xinil.

P.S.: adding somebody on A-P or MAL is pointless, imo.