Thread: Its 4 A.M. The Babys Coming....But the Hospital Is 100 Miles Away

Banned

Default Its 4 A.M. The Babys Coming....But the Hospital Is 100 Miles Away

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/17/u...-pregnant.html

The article describes the distress in the southeastern corner of Missouri,but could really be Anywhere...Specifically the article concerns people whose nearest obstetric facility is 50-100 miles away and they are about to give birth. Two heart-rending snippets from the article

The million-dollar question is: How are people going to afford a proper raising for a baby if they can barely afford gas for a 50-mile drive to hospital?

Even that drive,a 100-mile round trip,involves say,five gallons or about $15.00.

Bringing a child into the world knowing that the child will in 90% of the cases be deprived of proper security,nutrition,education and opportunity is WRONG. How can it be argued otherwise?

This is an issue about responsible decision-making as well as about health care.

Banned

This is sad to be honest ...

I can't imagine this situation. It must be a disaster. The first step is to call an ambulance and proceed according to the doctor's plan. I know several stories in which husbands have come in handy to deliver their women due to not being able to get to an obstetrician. I have even heard of cars getting stuck in the snow and not being able to get to the hospital and ambulances being stuck on the roads, so one man delivered his wife's baby in the car when there was a huge snowstorm outside. I'm pregnant now, researching pregnancy week by week, and I'm terrified to be in a situation like that.